Verizon's new plans - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Verizon's new plans

I have AT&T but, after much research, have been planning on switching to Verizon when I take off in October. Have been seeing ads for their new plan: 10GB data/month for $80 (plus taxes, fee, etc.).

I don't know what the 10GB would have cost prior to this new announcement. Does anyone know if this is a good deal?

Also, does anyone use their iphone as a hot spot for their computers, etc. through Verizon?

Thanks everyone!
__________________

__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boise, Idaho
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 64
verizon hot spot usage

My husband and I each use the hotspot functionality (he has an iPhone, I have Android) when traveling away from networks. The data does tend to add up. You can increase your data allocation on just the months when you will be using the hotspot if you don't intend to use it all the time.
It does appear to be significantly cheaper than what we are paying but it is the EDGE plan only (cost of phone included in monthly payments).
__________________

Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thanks, Mountain Gal. Will probably go with Verizon. But would love it were a bit less of a chunk of $ each month.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
My husband and I each use the hotspot functionality (he has an iPhone, I have Android) when traveling away from networks. The data does tend to add up. You can increase your data allocation on just the months when you will be using the hotspot if you don't intend to use it all the time.
It does appear to be significantly cheaper than what we are paying but it is the EDGE plan only (cost of phone included in monthly payments).
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,418
Switched last July to this plan; it us a result of a price war started by T-Mobile trying to churn AT&T customers. Anyway, you will get your best deal bringing your own phones to activate vs. going on a 2year contract. You can do their version of the AT&T Next program, however we buy new Verizon phones on Amazon. They are usually one model year old but new in factory sealed boxes.

The 10GB plan is the price war match and you wont save much going lower. But call every 3 months to see what is out there or go online to check because in the US at least it is a very competitive biz and plans will change. Carriers are always happy of course to have you pay more on an old rate plan and are under no obligation to let you know of a better deal.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thanks Rossue. Good tip on buying new Verizon phones on Amazon - had no clue about that.
The 10GB was the plan I was considering. Yup, several times I called AT&T with price issues and they reduced the price every time! They certainly weren't going to offer the price to me on their own!
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
OK, just checked prices and a bit confused. Why would an iPhone 6, 16 GB cost around $700 on amazon yet only $199 through the Apple store?
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
OK, just checked prices and a bit confused. Why would an iPhone 6, 16 GB cost around $700 on amazon yet only $199 through the Apple store?
The actual cost of a phone is usually hidden because if you buy it through a carrier, or in this case the Apple Store, it comes with a carrier contract. They are 'subsidizing' part of the cost because you'll be paying them monthly for at least 2 years. Notice also that the $700 phone is unlocked. You can move it from carrier to carrier by swapping the sim card. The one from the Apple Store is definitely NOT unlocked, which means you'll pay alot less.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
So all these years that I've had an iPhone (purchased through Apple) and used AT&T, my monthly charge from AT&T would have been less had I already owned my iPhone? AT&T pays Apple a % of my payments to them?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The actual cost of a phone is usually hidden because if you buy it through a carrier, or in this case the Apple Store, it comes with a carrier contract. They are 'subsidizing' part of the cost because you'll be paying them monthly for at least 2 years.
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
So all these years that I've had an iPhone (purchased through Apple) and used AT&T, my monthly charge from AT&T would have been less had I already owned my iPhone? AT&T pays Apple a % of my payments to them?
No, it doesn't really work that way. Usually, the carrier charges you for the plan, and discounts the phone because you're under contract. The phone manufacturer usually sells the carrier these locked phones for less than they charge other customers for unlocked ones. Having said that, trying to figure out all the wheeling and dealing between carriers and phone makers is mission impossible.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Ha! Yeah, many parts and pieces in this every day life!
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
No, it doesn't really work that way. Usually, the carrier charges you for the plan, and discounts the phone because you're under contract. The phone manufacturer usually sells the carrier these locked phones for less than they charge other customers for unlocked ones. Having said that, trying to figure out all the wheeling and dealing between carriers and phone makers is mission impossible.
__________________

__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.