Verizon's new plans - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Verizon's new plans

I have AT&T but, after much research, have been planning on switching to Verizon when I take off in October. Have been seeing ads for their new plan: 10GB data/month for $80 (plus taxes, fee, etc.).

I don't know what the 10GB would have cost prior to this new announcement. Does anyone know if this is a good deal?

Also, does anyone use their iphone as a hot spot for their computers, etc. through Verizon?

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
verizon hot spot usage

My husband and I each use the hotspot functionality (he has an iPhone, I have Android) when traveling away from networks. The data does tend to add up. You can increase your data allocation on just the months when you will be using the hotspot if you don't intend to use it all the time.
It does appear to be significantly cheaper than what we are paying but it is the EDGE plan only (cost of phone included in monthly payments).
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Thanks, Mountain Gal. Will probably go with Verizon. But would love it were a bit less of a chunk of $ each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
My husband and I each use the hotspot functionality (he has an iPhone, I have Android) when traveling away from networks. The data does tend to add up. You can increase your data allocation on just the months when you will be using the hotspot if you don't intend to use it all the time.
It does appear to be significantly cheaper than what we are paying but it is the EDGE plan only (cost of phone included in monthly payments).
Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Switched last July to this plan; it us a result of a price war started by T-Mobile trying to churn AT&T customers. Anyway, you will get your best deal bringing your own phones to activate vs. going on a 2year contract. You can do their version of the AT&T Next program, however we buy new Verizon phones on Amazon. They are usually one model year old but new in factory sealed boxes.

The 10GB plan is the price war match and you wont save much going lower. But call every 3 months to see what is out there or go online to check because in the US at least it is a very competitive biz and plans will change. Carriers are always happy of course to have you pay more on an old rate plan and are under no obligation to let you know of a better deal.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

Thanks Rossue. Good tip on buying new Verizon phones on Amazon - had no clue about that.
The 10GB was the plan I was considering. Yup, several times I called AT&T with price issues and they reduced the price every time! They certainly weren't going to offer the price to me on their own!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

OK, just checked prices and a bit confused. Why would an iPhone 6, 16 GB cost around $700 on amazon yet only $199 through the Apple store?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
OK, just checked prices and a bit confused. Why would an iPhone 6, 16 GB cost around $700 on amazon yet only $199 through the Apple store?
The actual cost of a phone is usually hidden because if you buy it through a carrier, or in this case the Apple Store, it comes with a carrier contract. They are 'subsidizing' part of the cost because you'll be paying them monthly for at least 2 years. Notice also that the $700 phone is unlocked. You can move it from carrier to carrier by swapping the sim card. The one from the Apple Store is definitely NOT unlocked, which means you'll pay alot less.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

So all these years that I've had an iPhone (purchased through Apple) and used AT&T, my monthly charge from AT&T would have been less had I already owned my iPhone? AT&T pays Apple a % of my payments to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The actual cost of a phone is usually hidden because if you buy it through a carrier, or in this case the Apple Store, it comes with a carrier contract. They are 'subsidizing' part of the cost because you'll be paying them monthly for at least 2 years.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
So all these years that I've had an iPhone (purchased through Apple) and used AT&T, my monthly charge from AT&T would have been less had I already owned my iPhone? AT&T pays Apple a % of my payments to them?
No, it doesn't really work that way. Usually, the carrier charges you for the plan, and discounts the phone because you're under contract. The phone manufacturer usually sells the carrier these locked phones for less than they charge other customers for unlocked ones. Having said that, trying to figure out all the wheeling and dealing between carriers and phone makers is mission impossible.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #10

Ha! Yeah, many parts and pieces in this every day life!
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
No, it doesn't really work that way. Usually, the carrier charges you for the plan, and discounts the phone because you're under contract. The phone manufacturer usually sells the carrier these locked phones for less than they charge other customers for unlocked ones. Having said that, trying to figure out all the wheeling and dealing between carriers and phone makers is mission impossible.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Costco also has Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc...phones at reduced prices. I bought my Samsome Galaxy 4 for a pennie. Hard to be that!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I'm switching to Verizon/Straight Talk as soon as I get home from the rally. I have Sprint/Virgin and have been without service for 10 days! Glad Ann's Straight Talk is along with us! Works fine nearly everywhere!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #13

The cell phone biz has become like used cars for some time now which is one reason I sold my stores and got out. Remember, the price of the phone is one thing but the rate plan is really what you are paying for. When you get that $.01 Android from Costco you will be paying $25/month more than if you do not have a contract. Costco doesn't sell phones without a contract and it is not even Costco that you are dealing with in reality it is a company called Wireless Advocates.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
We have the contract, my rate has been the same for several years. Actually, they just gave me a extra gig of data each month for free.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Thanks everyone!!! Yeah, pretty convinced Verizon is the way to go since I will be full-timing starting in Oct and have no idea what mountain I may wind up on. Hooked on iPhones so that's a given. Will be watching to see if any new plans materialize within the next few months.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

We pay $80/month for 10 GB(11GB w/promo) and our per phone charge us $15/month each. With a contract it is $40 per month per phone.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm paying $99.99 per month for 20GB, the $ they offered to Millenicom users when Verizon shut them down.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm paying $99.99 per month for 20GB, the $ they offered to Millenicom users when Verizon shut them down.
Me too, and I'm quite satisfied with the service. At home I normally use about 14-15 GB per month, but on the road so far I've noticed I use quite a bit less. I've used only 6.4 GB so far in May, barely a third of my monthly allotment. I need to find some OS iso images to download or something.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mike,

Download this video to help:

Old 05-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Me too, and I'm quite satisfied with the service. At home I normally use about 14-15 GB per month, but on the road so far I've noticed I use quite a bit less. I've used only 6.4 GB so far in May, barely a third of my monthly allotment. I need to find some OS iso images to download or something.

Netflix or Slacker should take care of that.