Very difficult to open door - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
Very difficult to open door

We're​ seem to have a problem that I have not seen on here.
After the trailer is towed the door takes an extreme amount of force to open. Karen is unable to open it.
After the initial door opening it is much easier to open. This started after about 500 miles of travel. The striker is out as far as it can go and I do not see anything obvious in the latch mechanism. I've lubed it which did make the door open smoother after the first opening.
I can visually see the lock is not in the way so that is not hanging up.

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ordered
Is this strictly with the locking/latch mechanism or has the door shifted or not seated properly?

Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Karen, Is that happening while the trailer is "free standing" or after you've set it up for camp. We've not had that problem with our new 21', but I used to run into something like that when I tried to take shortcuts setting up our EggCamper using corner stabilizers to level it and would end up torquing the frame a bit. Remove the stabilizers and level it the old-fashioned way, and the door would open fine again. Just a thought....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We're​ seem to have a problem that I have not seen on here.
After the trailer is towed the door takes an extreme amount of force to open. Karen is unable to open it.
After the initial door opening it is much easier to open. This started after about 500 miles of travel. The striker is out as far as it can go and I do not see anything obvious in the latch mechanism. I've lubed it which did make the door open smoother after the first opening.
I can visually see the lock is not in the way so that is not hanging up.
Hi, I just noticed you are from Venice Florida, we were just got home from there. We have a home in North Englewood just a couple of intersections down from Jacaranda. It would be nice to meet up with y'all sometime.
Nancy and Walter
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Karen, Is that happening while the trailer is "free standing" or after you've set it up for camp. We've not had that problem with our new 21', but I used to run into something like that when I tried to take shortcuts setting up our EggCamper using corner stabilizers to level it and would end up torquing the frame a bit. Remove the stabilizers and level it the old-fashioned way, and the door would open fine again. Just a thought....
It happens after we stop and have not done anything other than open the door. When it first happened we thought something was wrong with the lock and stood there trying to unlock it. When we get home we are going to remove the mechanism and see if we can find anything obvious that is wrong. I looked it over and do not see any rough surfaces that could hang up but maybe there is one hidden.
It just seems odd that moving the trailer would affect the latch.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Hi, I just noticed you are from Venice Florida, we were just got home from there. We have a home in North Englewood just a couple of intersections down from Jacaranda. It would be nice to meet up with y'all sometime.
Nancy and Walter
And we are in Longview Tx at the moment and about to head for Alabama.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19'
Ours does that too. Push the door IN while opening the latch. Hope that solves it for you too.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Ours does that too. Push the door IN while opening the latch. Hope that solves it for you too.
And after a while, it should get a bit easier.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 17
Same here, tight also, Push the door IN while opening the latch until it breaks in some day.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model) SOLD
Ditto

We've had the same problem. I push into the door with my knee and then the latch releases as I pull it open. It won't open otherwise.

On one occasion, we thought we had securely shut the door... but then we took off only to see it swinging in the breeze! Luckily some friendly drivers honked at us and we were able to pull over and shut the door before anything fell out .
It just seems to be a finicky latch.

Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote