Very difficult to open door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
Very difficult to open door

We're​ seem to have a problem that I have not seen on here.
After the trailer is towed the door takes an extreme amount of force to open. Karen is unable to open it.
After the initial door opening it is much easier to open. This started after about 500 miles of travel. The striker is out as far as it can go and I do not see anything obvious in the latch mechanism. I've lubed it which did make the door open smoother after the first opening.
I can visually see the lock is not in the way so that is not hanging up.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Is this strictly with the locking/latch mechanism or has the door shifted or not seated properly?
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Karen, Is that happening while the trailer is "free standing" or after you've set it up for camp. We've not had that problem with our new 21', but I used to run into something like that when I tried to take shortcuts setting up our EggCamper using corner stabilizers to level it and would end up torquing the frame a bit. Remove the stabilizers and level it the old-fashioned way, and the door would open fine again. Just a thought....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We're​ seem to have a problem that I have not seen on here.
After the trailer is towed the door takes an extreme amount of force to open. Karen is unable to open it.
After the initial door opening it is much easier to open. This started after about 500 miles of travel. The striker is out as far as it can go and I do not see anything obvious in the latch mechanism. I've lubed it which did make the door open smoother after the first opening.
I can visually see the lock is not in the way so that is not hanging up.
Hi, I just noticed you are from Venice Florida, we were just got home from there. We have a home in North Englewood just a couple of intersections down from Jacaranda. It would be nice to meet up with y'all sometime.
Nancy and Walter
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Karen, Is that happening while the trailer is "free standing" or after you've set it up for camp. We've not had that problem with our new 21', but I used to run into something like that when I tried to take shortcuts setting up our EggCamper using corner stabilizers to level it and would end up torquing the frame a bit. Remove the stabilizers and level it the old-fashioned way, and the door would open fine again. Just a thought....
It happens after we stop and have not done anything other than open the door. When it first happened we thought something was wrong with the lock and stood there trying to unlock it. When we get home we are going to remove the mechanism and see if we can find anything obvious that is wrong. I looked it over and do not see any rough surfaces that could hang up but maybe there is one hidden.
It just seems odd that moving the trailer would affect the latch.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Hi, I just noticed you are from Venice Florida, we were just got home from there. We have a home in North Englewood just a couple of intersections down from Jacaranda. It would be nice to meet up with y'all sometime.
Nancy and Walter
And we are in Longview Tx at the moment and about to head for Alabama.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19'
Ours does that too. Push the door IN while opening the latch. Hope that solves it for you too.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
Ours does that too. Push the door IN while opening the latch. Hope that solves it for you too.
And after a while, it should get a bit easier.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 17
Same here, tight also, Push the door IN while opening the latch until it breaks in some day.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Ditto

We've had the same problem. I push into the door with my knee and then the latch releases as I pull it open. It won't open otherwise.

On one occasion, we thought we had securely shut the door... but then we took off only to see it swinging in the breeze! Luckily some friendly drivers honked at us and we were able to pull over and shut the door before anything fell out .
It just seems to be a finicky latch.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The door needs to be locked before moving the trailer. Seen a number of instances of people ruining their doors.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The door needs to be locked before moving the trailer. Seen a number of instances of people ruining their doors.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #13

Well, the problem is, that the door was locked! We've discovered that there is an issue not only opening the door, but ensuring that it is completely closed before it's locked. DH even tested the door before we left, after locking it!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Well, the problem is, that the door was locked! We've discovered that there is an issue not only opening the door, but ensuring that it is completely closed before it's locked. DH even tested the door before we left, after locking it!
Good info. Will be something to monitor closely when setting out.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

Hearing about others with similar stubborn door issues makes me wonder. Could there be a shape or design issue going on, making the latch not engage properly ?

When inside and locking the door, I noticed that I have to give it an extra hard pull in order to hear the "2nd" click telling me the latch has engaged and I can lock it securely at this point.

Ditto for shutting the door. We now give it an extra hard push to hear that second click of the latch engaging. Only then do we lock the door and retest it before taking off.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 17
Maybe the door manuf makes it tight to keep the water seal waterproof and the down the road vibration down. Might give tolerance leeway for some years later as it all loosens up.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
It almost sounds as if the weather stripping needs to be compressed by pushing on the door in order for the latch to catch properly. It is possible that the weather stripping may be just a little bit too thick in its brand new state; however, I suspect that over time it will compress and it will become easier to latch the door.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know from experience with other trailers that if the trailer is not set up properly, meaning the stabilizers and jacks are all level, the door will give you problems. Hooked up to the tow it should open/close easily, it is new and some items may need broken in so to speak. If it worked properly at the factory, then something else has caused it to be misaligned.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Ditto for shutting the door. We now give it an extra hard push to hear that second click of the latch engaging..
Our house door latches work like that. For them, they have a "normal" beveled pin that latches when just closed, and then a secondary one like a mini dead bolt that only latches when the door is pushed hard into the weather stripping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1271.jpg  

Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Hearing about others with similar stubborn door issues makes me wonder. Could there be a shape or design issue going on, making the latch not engage properly ?

When inside and locking the door, I noticed that I have to give it an extra hard pull in order to hear the "2nd" click telling me the latch has engaged and I can lock it securely at this point.

Ditto for shutting the door. We now give it an extra hard push to hear that second click of the latch engaging. Only then do we lock the door and retest it before taking off.
the new 2017 model apparently went from a new mold directly to production/sales with new door structure as well as other structural/mechanical changes....unfortunately the early 2017 buyers seem to be doing the testing of the new models for the mfg.
perhaps the metal door frame is torqued somewhat when mounted in the 2x4 wood door framing.... perhaps the door latch mechanism/metal frame alignment in the 2x4 wood door frame structure can vary trailer to trailer ...so many variables.
perhaps if this door thing becomes a significant issue with several trailers it will be added to the things that need fixing, like the water entry in the fridge vents and the water pooling at the base of the fridge.
this camper declined moving production date forward for this and other reasons, however this camper very much appreciates the testing by the early buyers and hopefully it will lead to a better trailer.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote