Wardrobe shelving questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
MB

Trailer: None
Wardrobe shelving questions

We are thinking of putting shelves in the wardrobe.
I know some of you have done it.
Wanted to know how you fixed the shelves.
Not sure the wall is suitable for using screws
Do you think that if we put some screws near the door and close to the back of the wardrobe, we will find some wood to attached the support for the shelves?
Our do you think that we should just glue the support of the shelves?
Thank you
MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Michele,
Slightly different wardrobe, but I ordered mine with the shelves, and Escape used angle braces screwed to the walls. I believe they're thick enough as built, but you might ask Reace. You might use a combination of screws and glued cleats.

If I had to do it over, I would have had three drawers installed. I may still convert down the road. After using just the shelves for a while, we bought rectangular baskets to facilitate getting stuff in and out, so it's already close to drawers!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...stem-1967.html
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a couple of oak strips to the walls of the cabinet drilled for "pin" type adjustable shelf brackets. That way I can change the height of the shelfs to match changing needs. The shelves are "stress skin", with 1/8" Luan plywood on the bottom & 1/8" White Cote Masonite Hardboard on top, separated by 1/4" hardwood strips. Light & very strong.

One point - take a photograph of your build list before covering it up - it is a one shot document produced on a manual typewriter by Escape & another copy is not available.
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_5757.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
MB

Jon and Steve, both your suggestions are great.
But I am leaning toward the shelf.
Jon I wanted to know how you attache the oak strips on to the wall?
Thank you
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Storage in Wardrobe

We bought a plastic storage tower after seeing one in Ron Stewart's 17B. We bought ours from Canadian Tire, where it is called "Gracious Living Storage Tower". There are different sizes available. We secured ours inside the wardrobe by jamming it at the top against the wooden rod. It is important to keep the drawers from sliding and pushing the wardrobe door open. We solved that problem by attaching a bungee cord to the wooden rod with a hook on the door. When travelling the bungee cord is hooked to the door to prevent the door from opening. A relatively inexpensive and flexible solution.

In the top of the photo you can see the wooden block which jams the storage tower and the bungee cord. The hook is attached to one of the screws for the wardrobe door to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1348sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
They are glued (although I used a couple of screws to hold them while the glue dried).

I used a plastic tower storage system the first year, but was not able to find one that made efficient use of the space; the shelves let me use the full width of the wardrobe. It looks like Brian found a set that fits better than the ones I tried.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe there are at least 2 if not 3 "studs" behind the walls and I tried to hit them while installing my system. Here is a link to my pictures -see post#60 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-a-1657-6.html
I then cut some masonite and laid them on the supports. This is also an opportunity ti install some cedar or other wall paneling inside to keep everything smelling nice.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
In our SittEscape, I mounted 4 36 inch adjustable shelf standards [http://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Standard...04490&sr=8-13], two on each side of 17B wardrobe. Then I created shelves to fit out of 3/8 inch oak plywood, covering the front exposed plywood edge with trim molding. The shelves are both removable and adjustable.

One special note: each shelf is slightly different size, since the wall has different protrusions, wires, etc. We then we able to shop around until we found the right size durable plastic storage baskets to fit on the shelves. Like Jon suggested above, it's helpful to take a photo of the document.

Aligning the shelf standards is the only hard part, since crawling in the wardrobe is awkward, unless you're a six-year-old. If I had it to do over again, I would probably simply attach cleats, instead of standards, using VHB tape. If that tape can hold my solar panels outside, it could certainly hold anything I can put on the shelf. It would save a lot of headache and planning, trying to find a screw strong enough, yet short enough.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
MB

Thank you Klaus, I like the suggestion of the cleats and using VHB tape
Since I will be storing clothes on those shelfs I think that the tape should be ok.
What type of cleats did you have in mind?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Michele, the simplest would be some 3/4" inch screen molding, each side, running front to back the depth of the wardrobe. You can get some nice matching oak screen molding, as I recall, about 1/8" thick. Your shelves can rest directly on the cleats. If the shelves wiggle, a small piece of VHB tape on the shelf contact point stops the rocking motion quickly.

Test each shelf first so that you know you can place it on the cleats and remove it as you move to each next set of cleats. You'll need enough room to tilt the shelves front to back, in and out, left and right, etc. Temporary removable double-sided tape works well for this task. Don't ask me how I know.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
MB

Thank you Klaus now I know what and how I am going to do it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
We bought a plastic storage tower after seeing one in Ron Stewart's 17B. We bought ours from Canadian Tire, where it is called "Gracious Living Storage Tower". There are different sizes available.
We put a set like this in our Boler's similar wardrobe. There are a few brands of very similar products available, as well as different sizes within a brand, so some searching might yield a good fit.

Most seem to be modular: although it is not an advertised feature, individual drawers and their supporting frames can be mixed and matched (within the same brand and width) to get a workable combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I used a plastic tower storage system the first year, but was not able to find one that made efficient use of the space; the shelves let me use the full width of the wardrobe. It looks like Brian found a set that fits better than the ones I tried.
This is certainly a problem. We found some flat items that tuck in well beside the drawer unit to make use of that space, and I secured it the drawers to maintain it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote