Warning Decals from ETI for 2017 Trailers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #21

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
That's really weird (to me) that the switch is inside a cover that could be a PITA to take off. I've never taken it off, but I would think it would be much easier and much more consumer friendly if it was inside the trailer along with the other switches and such. Heck, I never knew the switch was inside that cover. If it was shown to me at orientation, I certainly don't remember it (along with other things I've forgotten, I'm sure).

Hi Laura,

The switch only shuts off all power to the fan. The fan has s thermostat; when the temp is low it won't turn on. When the temp is high the fan will run if the switch is on. If it was not for the fuse issue, you would rarely need to touch that switch.

The fuse issue changes things.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder why you feel it is a PITA to take off the cover when you have never tried to remove it. Very easy, use a quarter to twist the plastic plugs 90 degrees and lift out. Reverse to reinstall!!
The electric switch for the water heater is behind the water heater cover, do you not open that to operate? Some items in a rv are not always within arms reach. I find the sewer hookup to be a bit awkward, other wise I see little issue with these locations.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder why you feel it is a PITA to take off the cover when you have never tried to remove it. Very easy, use a quarter to twist the plastic plugs 90 degrees and lift out. Reverse to reinstall!! ....
Well, it does bind a bit every once in a while, but no worse than opening a jar of home-canned pickles.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When you think about it, life is a PITA. Just one problem after another. Many self-inflicted.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just to be a devils advocate here Jim, I agree with you that the TX fan option switch would not be a PITA in its current location if the issue hadn't surfaced requiring it to be shut off for towing. That vent is not built to withstand the constant opening and closing to turn the switch on when camping and off when towing. My guess would be removing that vent is inconvenient enough, most folks who got this option will end up just leaving the switch off and not using the fan.
I'd look at modding the switch to inside the trailer by the fridge somewhere if I had this feature, so that it would be more usable. It shouldn't be that difficult to do this, similar to modding the electric water heater switch inside that some have done.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thank you for the information. We have a Texas fan on our refrigerator but never ran it while traveling.
You have a Casita - not an Escape so this issue will not affect you. As you may know, the Casita uses a different vent system than Escape uses.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just to be a devils advocate here Jim, I agree with you that the TX fan option switch would not be a PITA in its current location if the issue hadn't surfaced requiring it to be shut off for towing. That vent is not built to withstand the constant opening and closing .....
Had to replace the plastic grommets over a year ago and I don't open it that much- so you are right. I would order up some spares if I had this issue to deal with.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just to be a devils advocate here Jim, I agree with you that the TX fan option switch would not be a PITA in its current location if the issue hadn't surfaced requiring it to be shut off for towing. That vent is not built to withstand the constant opening and closing to turn the switch on when camping and off when towing. My guess would be removing that vent is inconvenient enough, most folks who got this option will end up just leaving the switch off and not using the fan.
I'd look at modding the switch to inside the trailer by the fridge somewhere if I had this feature, so that it would be more usable. It shouldn't be that difficult to do this, similar to modding the electric water heater switch inside that some have done.
Hi Greg no way would I want the switch installed in a inconvenient spot , hard to get to. I bought my own and it is installed in the trailer next to refrigerator . A lot of manufacturers install it inside . Makes sense to me and not a huge amount of wire . How are your projects coming along ? If it is extremely hot like even California is , I understand . Did you install the tank yet for the water pump ? I haven't but will get to it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The reason given by Escape is running the "Texas Fan" while driving is likely the cause of the failure of the thermal fuse on the 2 door refrigerator.

This is the reason I was given by ETI after going through 3 thermal fuses. I currently have the external fan turned off. Won't use it until I am stationary in Texas, and only if it is too hot. The fridge has worked just fine up here in the Maritimes what with the nice temps.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
This is the reason I was given by ETI after going through 3 thermal fuses. I currently have the external fan turned off. Won't use it until I am stationary in Texas, and only if it is too hot. The fridge has worked just fine up here in the Maritimes what with the nice temps.

Fred M.
We want a trip report!
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
As I understand it, the single door fridges on the 2017 trailers aren't having issues with thermal fueses. I looked in my compartment and I didn't see a fuse there. I wonder if the texas fan in the single door refrigerator models is still overheating the compartment, but it isn't being turned off because of the lack of a fuse to detect the condition.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
As I understand it, the single door fridges on the 2017 trailers aren't having issues with thermal fueses. I looked in my compartment and I didn't see a fuse there. I wonder if the texas fan in the single door refrigerator models is still overheating the compartment, but it isn't being turned off because of the lack of a fuse to detect the condition.
Some other member p/m and indicated it was, so I turned mine off.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Fridge Fan

So, let me get this straight ... If you have a "Texas Fan" (which we do), you're supposed to turn it "off" unless you're stationary and hot weather has set in. We've never heard of this issue before and we've just let the fan do its own thing for over three years now. Maybe I shouldn't say anything (knock on wood) as that's a sure recipe for some type of failure. Wonder what other tidbits concerning our trailer we're missing ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
So, let me get this straight ... If you have a "Texas Fan" (which we do), you're supposed to turn it "off" unless you're stationary and hot weather has set in. We've never heard of this issue before and we've just let the fan do its own thing for over three years now. Maybe I shouldn't say anything (knock on wood) as that's a sure recipe for some type of failure. Wonder what other tidbits concerning our trailer we're missing ....
You have a classic 19. I believe the issue is limited to the Gen 2 trailers (late 2016 - present) only. New mold = new fridge = new problems
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I too have a Texas fan, but it turns on/off based on a thermostat. Nothing for me to do. I think this was "standard" for the builds in 2014 (maybe)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Fred M.
This problem may only be true with the new 2 door fridge in the 2017 trailers. In fact, with these new refrigerators the Texas fan may not ever be needed, but experience over time will tell us. Our thermal fuse went out our first day of driving away from Sumas WA with the Texas fan on. With it bypassed (as instructed at first) and now replaced, we have never turned the Texas fan back on. We have driven and camped in temps from 75-103 degrees, and the fridge has worked fine on propane while driving and on 120 volt and propane while stationary, without the Texas fan. So far, so good.
Every time I take off to drive on propane I am monitoring the temps and hoping to not have to replace that thermal fuse again.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #37

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Shore power to TX fan

Correct me if I'm wrong please . It looks like my 2017 TA fridge fan only runs on 110 (shore power) so is this issue moot?
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
So for clarification, putting it all together, I believe the problem is limited to the combination of: 1) the 2nd generation 21', 2) with the Dometic 2663 refrigerator, 3) running on propane, 4) with the Texas fan on, 5) while traveling down the road. Change any one or more of the above five contributors to the problem, and you're okay. Isn't that right?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I hope so. Our fan turns on and off depending on the ambient outside temperature. When we were in South Dakota with 100º temps, it ran much of the day; however, would shut off when the temps dropped at night. Have my fingers crossed that this problem doesn't affect the "Classics" ... not to be mean to those with 2017 trailers.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #40

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
We want a trip report!
You need to join the Escape Facebook Page, Fred and Dora are always posting great pictures, they recently posted some pictures from Acadia NP in Maine, as well as many pictures from Newfoundland.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote