Washing the trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
Just washed and waxed our 21.

Pole brush is a must! Then we used Gel-GLoss products. They have a cleaner wax and then a super poly wax. The second one went on super easy!

Plus we paid a 12 year old to help us all day. Then beverages were needed
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use Meguiars wash & a painter's mitt to wash the trailer. I keep a spray bottle of LA Totally Awesome Orange for stubborn bugs, tar, etc. After washing I usually add a coat of wax - usually Meguiars Marine Wax. More expensive than their premium auto wax, but they say it holds up better on fiberglass. No idea it that's true, but that is what I use.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
do you have a favorite wash mitt?
I just use whatever they have at the store when I go looking. I always end up with grease on them or they turn black with brake dust.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Trust me, it's well worth the money. I had the cheaper knock-offs and got one of these; at least twice as good.
cool - thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Even if you could get on the roof it would be a bad idea. These things are slippery and once you'd start sliding, your fingernails would never be long enough to stop the fall. Gives me the willies thinking about being up on top of Ten Forward and falling off.
Thats what those scratch marks are on the roof of my Scamp 5th wheel. Never could figure it out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I use a quality car wash, happens to be Meguiar's at the moment. A mit for anything I can reach and a soft multi sided brush on a telescoping handle, a Carrand 93072 to be exact.
I use the same wash, and the same wand even. Once a year follow that up with two coats of Starbrite, applied with my Porter Cable buffer.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When traveling, I use a microfiber towel and plain water to keep the trailer clean of road grime. I save the waxing for when I'm home.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Even if you could get on the roof it would be a bad idea. These things are slippery and once you'd start sliding, your fingernails would never be long enough to stop the fall. Gives me the willies thinking about being up on top of Ten Forward and falling off.
At least on ours putting in new bath fan , our roof thickness was not consistent down to less then 1/8 .Too thin on ours . 2013 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Good luck with that. Ten Forward hasn't been washed since October and is a mess. I expect to be out in the rain washing. Should save some water on rising.
I always figure that but it is usually cold and windy and I am sure that the only thing that will really get wet and washed is me.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I use Meguiars Marine Wax so I use their wash detergent also. I also use a small folding scaffolding which works great and is much safer than a ladder.

Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I think a new trailer should just need a good wash with a marine or automotive wash detergent, clean buckets of water, no power washing, a quality carnauba marine wax (3M or Meguiar's) and lots of buffing.

Cleaner and wax combo products remove old wax, some are quite abrasive and can strip the gel coat if not careful, and I think the wax does not last as long and looks duller over time. They are OK for touchups/stains but I wouldn't use it on a new trailer or one that has no oxidation.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I think a new trailer should just need a good wash with a marine or automotive wash detergent, clean buckets of water, no power washing, a quality carnauba marine wax (3M or Meguiar's) and lots of buffing.

Cleaner and wax combo products remove old wax, some are quite abrasive and can strip the gel coat if not careful, and I think the wax does not last as long and looks duller over time. They are OK for touchups/stains but I wouldn't use it on a new trailer or one that has no oxidation.
Also avoid waxes designed for automotive use, many contain pigment (i.e. Turtle wax green) which can stain the gel coat
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
So for a new Escape - does it come already waxed? And if I wanted to use the Aero 303 product ( I understand it is not compatible with wax products so I assume I need to strip wax off), how does it apply? I looked it up and could not find instructions - is it easier to apply than a wax product? beside the UV protection are there other advantages to using this instead of waxing?
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandomary View Post
So for a new Escape - does it come already waxed? And if I wanted to use the Aero 303 product ( I understand it is not compatible with wax products so I assume I need to strip wax off), how does it apply? I looked it up and could not find instructions - is it easier to apply than a wax product? beside the UV protection are there other advantages to using this instead of waxing?
The trailer is new gelcoat. It is not waxed at the factory.

303 is a UV protectant, and it can be used on the gelcoat, but it won't enhance the shine. I use 303 on all the plastic bits on the trailer, particularly the Maxxfan cover on the roof, which will prevent oxidation and so forth. It's applied by spray bottle.

But for the gelcoat itself, I prefer a high quality marine wax or polish. I use Starbrite, but there are several good choices.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #35

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandomary View Post
how does it apply? I looked it up and could not find instructions
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoldEagle303Products
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The trailer is new gelcoat. It is not waxed at the factory.
While ETI doesn't wax the trailer, there's plenty of wax on the trailer because wax is what's used as a mold release.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The mould release wax is not a protectant for the trailer though, and a super thin layers lasts for a few mouldings of the shell before being reapplied. Reace kinda showed me that on time when I was there, but I was busy taking in all the neat new stuff they had.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The mould release wax is not a protectant for the trailer though, and a super thin layers lasts for a few mouldings of the shell before being reapplied. Reace kinda showed me that on time when I was there, but I was busy taking in all the neat new stuff they had.
Truth. I just didn't want people to think it was absolutely bare gelcoat and oh my stars, first day of ownership gotta get wax on it. When I asked Tammy about waxing, she said not to worry about it "for a while."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #39

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
At least on ours putting in new bath fan , our roof thickness was not consistent down to less then 1/8 .Too thin on ours . 2013 . Pat
Wow very thin. What does escape advise we tell any rv techs for roof a/c maintence? Kneel on a plywood piece?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Wow very thin. What does escape advise we tell any rv techs for roof a/c maintence? Kneel on a plywood piece?
Work from the side. I have had the opportunity to see a few different moulds with windows cut and not installed, and the thickness looked good on all shells, though I did not measure there. I have measured in 3 places on my own trailer, and 3/16" was the minimun thickness I saw. This is actually very stiff. I have a few more holes to cut in my shell for various things, and will check the thickness out there as well.

This is a thread I did showing a chunk I cut out. The other two penetrations I made were just holes with a spade bit on the bottom of the trailer. You can see the shell is a bit over 3/16".
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ness-9998.html

Plus, when I drilled with the sharp spade bit it went through the plywood like butter, but had to grind its way through the shell.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote