Water Heater Drain Frequency - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Re: Water Heater Drain Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
I'll probably drain the water tank a few more times than once a year, but not the hot water tank. We don't drink the water from either, only use it for washing (and flushing when a "beside the road" pit stop is needed). If I didn't have to winterize, I'd certainly do as Rich says, once a year to flush out any sediment, and check the anode plug. How many times a year does everyone flush out their water heater at home?? Boy, would you get some sediment out of THAT if you did. But, I doubt many do. Same with the Escape.
I actually drained my home hot water heater and got a lot of strange greenish fine gravel out of it. It is strange what we drink without knowing. The time to do it is mid summer when the plants in the yard need the water. The green gravel? I just place it on my walkways.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Water Heater Drain Frequency

Hi: Roger C H... Do you know how much coloured gravel is worth at the garden center Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Beside the fresh water tank, there is a water line coming down with a black plastic threaded plug in it. This is the low point drain used for winterizing the trailer. Remove the plug (very easy) and then open your sink taps. This will drain about 90 percent of the water in the hot water tank. To completely drain it, you will need to remove the main drain plug (1-1/16") in the h/w tank, which should be done once a year to flush out any sediment build up.

When you are ready to use the trailer for the next trip, open the pressure relief valve on the outside of the h/w tank, hook up to water and let the h/w tank flush. (make sure the sink taps are closed). Close the pressure relief valve and you have nice clean water!

Happy Camping

Reace
Hello, Last winter I drained my h/w tank but left the anode out and failed to flush out sediment build-up. I recently noticed the threads on h/w tank are rusted, and what appears to be anode sediment inside. I plan on removing the rust with a wire brush then flushing the water heater. Is it okay to flush the tank by directly inserting a hose inside, rather than having to fill f/w tank? I assume it is but I'm paranoid about making any mistakes when it comes to my most prized possession.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #14

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreaming View Post
Hello, Last winter I drained my h/w tank but left the anode out and failed to flush out sediment build-up. I recently noticed the threads on h/w tank are rusted, and what appears to be anode sediment inside. I plan on removing the rust with a wire brush then flushing the water heater. Is it okay to flush the tank by directly inserting a hose inside, rather than having to fill f/w tank? I assume it is but I'm paranoid about making any mistakes when it comes to my most prized possession.
I made an adaptor that fits on the end of my garden hose .
The adaptor has a piece of 3/8" OD hose attached to it which is flexible enough so that I can aim the water flow inside the tank and dislodge debris .Works well for me. In the Fall I remove the anode , clean the threads and coat the threads with vasoline . So far rust has not been an issue plus vasoline is relatively non toxic vs using automotive grease.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Or use something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-W...ter+flush+wand
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Thank you both for the excellent tips! hmm...I have a holding tank rinser... guess that wouldn't work as well (once super sanitized of course).

California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote