Water Heater Drain Frequency - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Water Heater Drain Frequency

We used our water heater for the first time this weekend and upon packing up I wondered if it had to be drained. I know if we were boon docking and had water remaining in the storage tank one would drain it for the trip home. What about the hot water heater. Holds five gallons so you have 40 lbs sitting there going down the highway. An what about the next time you use it? Is that water still usable after being in the tank for 3-4 weeks.

What do you do?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Re: Water Heater Drain Frequency

That is a great question! I'd be interested in knowing what people do also. We've had our Escape a year now and I haven't yet drained the water heater. We don't have anything approaching a real freeze in the winter, although I had intended to drain the water heater last winter but couldn't find the right tool.

Our bought-used 1991 Casita had the drain valve inside, under the bed, and it was next to impossible to reach. We never drained it. We did replace the water heater before we sold it, but I believe it was original equipment and it worked for us almost as long as we had it...
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Beside the fresh water tank, there is a water line coming down with a black plastic threaded plug in it. This is the low point drain used for winterizing the trailer. Remove the plug (very easy) and then open your sink taps. This will drain about 90 percent of the water in the hot water tank. To completely drain it, you will need to remove the main drain plug (1-1/16") in the h/w tank, which should be done once a year to flush out any sediment build up.

When you are ready to use the trailer for the next trip, open the pressure relief valve on the outside of the h/w tank, hook up to water and let the h/w tank flush. (make sure the sink taps are closed). Close the pressure relief valve and you have nice clean water!

Happy Camping

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace
Beside the fresh water tank, there is a water line coming down with a black plastic threaded plug in it. This is the low point drain used for winterizing the trailer. Remove the plug (very easy) and then open your sink taps. This will drain about 90 percent of the water in the hot water tank. To completely drain it, you will need to remove the main drain plug (1-1/16") in the h/w tank, which should be done once a year to flush out any sediment build up.

When you are ready to use the trailer for the next trip, open the pressure relief valve on the outside of the h/w tank, hook up to water and let the h/w tank flush. (make sure the sink taps are closed). Close the pressure relief valve and you have nice clean water!

Happy Camping

Reace
Reace - as so many things are on our new 17B, that lowest point drain is a great idea and a real time saver,

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Just did the hot water tank drain proceedure and it was very easy. I think I will make it a practice to drain it after ever trip.

On those same lines I am wondering if the hot water tank fills automatically when boon docking. Can I correctly assume that once the pump is turned on the water tank will fill? If that is the case is it best to fit the hot water tank at the fill station so you can replenish the fresh water resevoir at that time of the water used for the hot water tank fill?

I have made it a point to carry a hot water tank anode rod with the trailer at all times. You will need it once a year and by having it you can do a quick replacement if the need arises while on a trip.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Yes, the h/w tank will fill automatically with either the pump or city water. Make sure to open the hot tap to let the air out. You will need to top up the fresh tank after the h/w tank has filled.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #7

We don't have experience with an Escape water system yet, but soon will. I assume it's similar to our Casita. The air temperature rarely gets below freezing where we live, so I don't have to drain the water system for winterizing. I do drain the fresh water tank once a year to freshen it; and, I also drain the hot water tank once a year to flush out sediment and check the anode for corrosion. I've never noticed a problem with water quality between the once-a-year drainings. I travel with at least 5 gallons in the fresh tank plus the 6 in the water heater. The extra weight doesn't affect my MPG and the water comes in handy when roadside "facilities" are few and far between.

Rich

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I'll probably drain the water tank a few more times than once a year, but not the hot water tank. We don't drink the water from either, only use it for washing (and flushing when a "beside the road" pit stop is needed). If I didn't have to winterize, I'd certainly do as Rich says, once a year to flush out any sediment, and check the anode plug. How many times a year does everyone flush out their water heater at home?? Boy, would you get some sediment out of THAT if you did. But, I doubt many do. Same with the Escape.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Our trips tend to be longer duration - average about 3 weeks, but we don't take them very frequently. We do drink the water from our system, but use on of those RV inline carbon filter on anything we put into the freshwater tank and then a Pur filter pitcher for drinking water. I drain the freshwater tank whenever we get home and usually give it a bleach treatment so that nothing grows in between uses. With the Scamp I only drained the water heater when I winterized, but with the ease of doing it on the Escape with that low point drain, I will probably drain it before putting it into the shed after each trip. We bought the dual fuel water heater option, so I am going to always flip the circuit breaker off (along with the heater's switch) whenever I drain the water heater to make doubly sure that I never turn the heating element on with an empty tank.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: EricT... When I had to replace the electric element in the W/H...don't ask why...it only cost $16.50 and my RV tech did it while doing the bearings and brake adjust. Total bill tx's inc. $75.00. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
I'll probably drain the water tank a few more times than once a year, but not the hot water tank. We don't drink the water from either, only use it for washing (and flushing when a "beside the road" pit stop is needed). If I didn't have to winterize, I'd certainly do as Rich says, once a year to flush out any sediment, and check the anode plug. How many times a year does everyone flush out their water heater at home?? Boy, would you get some sediment out of THAT if you did. But, I doubt many do. Same with the Escape.
I actually drained my home hot water heater and got a lot of strange greenish fine gravel out of it. It is strange what we drink without knowing. The time to do it is mid summer when the plants in the yard need the water. The green gravel? I just place it on my walkways.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Roger C H... Do you know how much coloured gravel is worth at the garden center Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post

Happy Camping

Reace
Hello, Last winter I drained my h/w tank but left the anode out and failed to flush out sediment build-up. I recently noticed the threads on h/w tank are rusted, and what appears to be anode sediment inside. I plan on removing the rust with a wire brush then flushing the water heater. Is it okay to flush the tank by directly inserting a hose inside, rather than having to fill f/w tank? I assume it is but I'm paranoid about making any mistakes when it comes to my most prized possession.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreaming View Post
Hello, Last winter I drained my h/w tank but left the anode out and failed to flush out sediment build-up. I recently noticed the threads on h/w tank are rusted, and what appears to be anode sediment inside. I plan on removing the rust with a wire brush then flushing the water heater. Is it okay to flush the tank by directly inserting a hose inside, rather than having to fill f/w tank? I assume it is but I'm paranoid about making any mistakes when it comes to my most prized possession.
I made an adaptor that fits on the end of my garden hose .
The adaptor has a piece of 3/8" OD hose attached to it which is flexible enough so that I can aim the water flow inside the tank and dislodge debris .Works well for me. In the Fall I remove the anode , clean the threads and coat the threads with vasoline . So far rust has not been an issue plus vasoline is relatively non toxic vs using automotive grease.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Or use something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-W...ter+flush+wand
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Thank you both for the excellent tips! hmm...I have a holding tank rinser... guess that wouldn't work as well (once super sanitized of course).
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We are first time RVers, so please excuse my fairly basic question.

We have only used our Escape for a couple weeks when we picked it up in the winter, and it was winterized for much of that time. Last weekend we took it out of storage for its first trip of the season and de-winterized it. At the end of the trip we dumped all the tanks, but were unsure whether we should empty the hot water tank. I left it full as we will be taking the trailer out again this weekend so it was likely not a big deal. In searching around the forum I found this thread that discusses the use of a low point drain to empty the tank between trips without removing the drain plug. However, I understand the low point drain was phased out back in 2014-ish. Based on my understanding, the only way to drank the hot water tank is to remove the drain plug. This seems like a bit of a pain as it requires tools and teflon tape rather than opening and closing a valve. We will be using the trailer at least once a month going forward.

My question is: how often should I be draining the hot water tank, and is removing the drain plug the only method of doing this?
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I only empty mine when winterizing, otherwise I leave it full while in use and yes, drain plug removal is the only way to empty, the low point drain is for your water lines, not your water heater.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Mine gets drained a few times a year, I drain all the water when I won't be using the trailer for a month or so. I rinse it out with the flush thingie once a year.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I generally drain mine in the fall and fill it in the spring. But then we rarely go more than three weeks between trips during camping season. If It was going to be stored for say 6 weeks or more, I would drain the hot water tank.

We have the two-way tank so I leave the electric power on all season. When we camp with shore power, I don't have to think about it. If I drained the tank, then I would also need to remember to turn off the electric element or it would burn up. Leaving it full means one less thing to think about.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote