water heater DSI FLT ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #21
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I just replaced my circuit board a few days ago too.

Fred M.
haha, you too? guess there's really a bad bunch..
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #22

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
What's the best way to determine if its the board or what? When we picked up our trailer I was shown flip this and the water heater will go on, but it was turned off within a minute. On our way back and every time since we used the 120v water heater option. This weekend I tried the water heater on propane and did not get it to work . Stove works fine, fridge works fine. It's in the 90's+ here so I did not try the heat but it was working fine when we were in the Northwest back in April. I am turning the water heater switch off, waiting a moment then turning it back on and it is still giving me the error. I checked outside and the high temp limit has not been tripped. If it was I assume the 120v would not work either.. I put it back over to 120v and had hot water for the weekend but would like to get he propane working too. Since it has not been used with propane the inside was clean and I checked for spider webs or debris and there was none.
When I flip the switch the dsi light is on for a few seconds then turns off which I assume is normal then after a bit comes back on again.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Wonder if ours also came from that bad batch. We had hot water running on propane just fine for the first couple of days and now the heater won't start on propane. There is no electric here so we can't test that option.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Wonder if ours also came from that bad batch. We had hot water running on propane just fine for the first couple of days and now the heater won't start on propane. There is no electric here so we can't test that option.
I'm lucky at least we have the 120v option. I looked through the manual and it is not very useful as far as troubleshooting. So I hope someone here was led through how to tell what is acting up on these.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Your water heater is still under warranty. I'd contact the manufacturer and see if they have a nearby service center who could look at it for you. Often there are known problems and the manufacturer and service center should be able to work it out quickly for you - IF you can get in in a reasonable amount of time. But regardless, I'd sure give them a call.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Your water heater is still under warranty. I'd contact the manufacturer and see if they have a nearby service center who could look at it for you. Often there are known problems and the manufacturer and service center should be able to work it out quickly for you - IF you can get in in a reasonable amount of time.
After seeing the work that the local Dometic repair place did I'm hesitant to have them touch the trailer again. We had trouble with the awning which was covered under warranty. They are also who would work on the Suburban water heater.
So if it's something simple I'm willing to try.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
After seeing the work that the local Dometic repair place did I'm hesitant to have them touch the trailer again. We had trouble with the awning which was covered under warranty. They are also who would work on the Suburban water heater.
So if it's something simple I'm willing to try.
Bummer that your local place is like that. It might still be worth the call to Suburban and see if a tech there can be of assistance.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Bummer that your local place is like that. It might still be worth the call to Suburban and see if a tech there can be of assistance.
From what I am reading Red Dog and LJY replaced the boards themselves. So hopefully they were given trouble shooting instructions. I've gone as far as I can, I have DC out to the unit and I can hear a slight thump after I turn the unit on. What is happening now is I turn it on, the DSI light turns on, after a short period it goes off and there is a slight thump outside. Then within a minute or so the DSI light come back on.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #29
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
From what I am reading Red Dog and LJY replaced the boards themselves. So hopefully they were given trouble shooting instructions. I've gone as far as I can, I have DC out to the unit and I can hear a slight thump after I turn the unit on. What is happening now is I turn it on, the DSI light turns on, after a short period it goes off and there is a slight thump outside. Then within a minute or so the DSI light come back on.
Hi,

Tammy had me try reseting the ignition/heater by pressing the 2 round rubber buttons to no avail. The DSI fault light comes on 3x when trying to ignite and then stays on.
To replace, just have ETI or local service center give you a new board. The circuit board is housed in an ivory plastic box with 2 connector cables (underneath the bed in our 21 next to water heater). Pretty easy to replace.. I just turn off the hot water fuse at the circuit breaker prior to replacing and turn it back on after reconnecting the 2 cables to the new board.
Let me know if you need more info.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Hi,

Tammy had me try reseting the ignition/heater by pressing the 2 round rubber buttons to no avail. The DSI fault light comes on 3x when trying to ignite and then stays on.
To replace, just have ETI or local service center give you a new board. The circuit board is housed in an ivory plastic box with 2 connector cables (underneath the bed in our 21 next to water heater). Pretty easy to replace.. I just turn off the hot water fuse at the circuit breaker prior to replacing and turn it back on after reconnecting the 2 cables to the new board.
Let me know if you need more info.
OK, we just got the word from Tammy that they suspect we also have a bad circuit board so now we need to find a local RV dealer to work with Suburban to replace it . I was just wondering how hard this would be to do it myself. If anyone has pictures, that would be great
Old 07-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In your Suburban manual will be a list of service centres or a web address to search for those that are near you.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In your Suburban manual will be a list of service centres or a web address to search for those that are near you.
Tried the Suburban web search and the closest service center is about 2.5 hours away from where our 19 is positioned for the next 4-5 weeks. I wonder if Suburban will pay someone to travel out to replace the control board.

They state - "Please Note: Suburban Gas Appliances are to be installed and/or serviced by a qualified service technician."
Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #33

I went out in the dark and tried the two resets again otherwise this is going to bother me all night. Then ran the stove for a bit to make sure the lines are somewhat purged. And tried it again, and again, and again. Still no luck. So I emailed Escape parts and service to see if there is anything else to try.
If its the board I wonder what changed as this model has been out for awhile.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Mine was also a bad circuit board. $50 service charge, $135 part. So I have to work with Suburbon? Got mine repaired something tells me I might have issues when trying to claim. Probably not on their list but I received great service from Hubert Trailer Sales in Oregon, Wi.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It was under warranty. You would contact ETI and they would direct you to Suburban for warranty coverage at an authorized Suburban service center. When I had my Atwood furnace motor replaced, under warranty, all I got from the service center is a receipt that said it was covered under warranty. The bill went to Atwood.
The main thing is to contact ETI and Suburban for approval before doing anything, especially paying yourself.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #36

After I found what the part was called I elected to replace it myself.
$62 sw6de suburban water heater part # 520814.
This fits all water heaters made after the 39th week of 1995.
This part replaces part # 232391.
Earliest I could have it repaired was the 14th of Sept and odds were they were just going to tell me yeah the parts bad and have me come back.
I figure my time, fuel and wear and tear was worth more than that.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #37
LJY

Arghh.!!
DSI fault again with the water heater... anyone else experienced this a 2nd time after replacing the unit?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #38
LJY

Do we have the WFCO converter in our '17 trailer?
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Do we have the WFCO converter in our '17 trailer?
Yes, that's the one Escape uses.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #40
LJY

I was able to get a replacement locally. The repair shop said the 2 Fenwal boards that I got were probably both part of bad lot. The latest replacement board has the part number wetzk listed, but is made by another company.