Water heater issue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland metro, Oregon
Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Posts: 121
I had the same problem...scared myself and a few neighbors! I called Reace and he walked me through adjusting the position of the ignitor. The ignitor is connected to a piece of sheet metal and by bending its position with a needle nose I could get the ignitor closer to the gas outlet. Worked great and haven't had a problem since.
Eric
__________________

__________________
Eric and Linda
2012 17B, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
soultrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Meadows, Idaho
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
I had the same problem...scared myself and a few neighbors! I called Reace and he walked me through adjusting the position of the ignitor. The ignitor is connected to a piece of sheet metal and by bending its position with a needle nose I could get the ignitor closer to the gas outlet. Worked great and haven't had a problem since.
Eric
I cannot find any diagram or specific instructions for my Suburban SW6DE (I think) that point me to location of and access to the adjustable air vent, the igniter head, or the gas outlet - for possible adjustments and alignment. Any suggestions? Thanks, Glenn.
__________________

soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland metro, Oregon
Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Posts: 121
I have a SW6D or a SW4D, gas only. I removed the large plate with the written instructions printed on it, disconnected the red wire and that got me access to the plate that holds the ignitor. The L-shaped ignitor was too far away from the gold colored outlet tube so I bent the plate to bring the end of the ignitor more in line with the center of the tube opening.
I hope that helps!
Eric
__________________
Eric and Linda
2012 17B, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
soultrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Meadows, Idaho
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
I have a SW6D or a SW4D, gas only. I removed the large plate with the written instructions printed on it, disconnected the red wire and that got me access to the plate that holds the ignitor. The L-shaped ignitor was too far away from the gold colored outlet tube so I bent the plate to bring the end of the ignitor more in line with the center of the tube opening.
I hope that helps!
Eric
It did Eric. I followed your tip lead, and adjusted the location and gap of the ignitor head. The heater ignited fine on a couple of quick tests; we'll see if the occasional problems disappear while camping. Thanks, Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
I had the same problem...scared myself and a few neighbors! I called Reace and he walked me through adjusting the position of the ignitor. The ignitor is connected to a piece of sheet metal and by bending its position with a needle nose I could get the ignitor closer to the gas outlet. Worked great and haven't had a problem since.
Eric
I will try a bit of an adjustment too. If it even ignites one cycle quicker, that is that much less gas to go poof when it does light.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
soultrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Meadows, Idaho
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Posts: 184
A true test this does not make; but my water heater worked perfectly during a short weekend venture. When I made the adjustment noted above, besides tweaking the ignitor gap, I noticed and corrected a misalignment in the ignitor electrodes(?) - they were not abeam one another. All relatively easy checks that others might want to do?
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,961
Another issue that might affect someone. Ours suddenly started to cycle off then relight, start again then do it all over again ever 30 seconds or so.

When we returned home I used the compressor to blow out the combustion chamber, and quite a bit of flaky grey/black thin soot came out. After than I retried it and it seemed to work perfectly again. The soot must have triggered some automatic shutoff?
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Another issue that might affect someone. Ours suddenly started to cycle off then relight, start again then do it all over again ever 30 seconds or so.

When we returned home I used the compressor to blow out the combustion chamber, and quite a bit of flaky grey/black thin soot came out. After than I retried it and it seemed to work perfectly again. The soot must have triggered some automatic shutoff?
We had almost the same issue Eric, although ours would try to light and never do it. The cause was the same. I opened up the panel and removed the burn chamber cover, and there was a bunch of black flaky crud inside. Cleaned it out and was good to go.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.