water heater on propane... and propane detector going off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
water heater on propane... and propane detector going off

I know something is going on here so cold showers until I can straighten this out. I have used my water heater on propane before with no issues. This morning I turned on the water heater (on propane) and in 5-10 minutes the propane detector went off - first time this happened. I didn't smell anything... but did smell a very slight odor when I took a sniff under the cushion on the water heater side. Turned it off of course and the detector reset. Went for a wonderful walk on the beach for a couple hours - returned and tried it again. After the water heater was turned on the detector went off again after 5 minutes or so.

I don't know if it is the water heater, the line or the connection - have emailed ETI for guidance. Anyone have this happened?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
I know something is going on here so cold showers until I can straighten this out. I have used my water heater on propane before with no issues. This morning I turned on the water heater (on propane) and in 5-10 minutes the propane detector went off - first time this happened. I didn't smell anything... but did smell a very slight odor when I took a sniff under the cushion on the water heater side. Turned it off of course and the detector reset. Went for a wonderful walk on the beach for a couple hours - returned and tried it again. After the water heater was turned on the detector went off again after 5 minutes or so.

I don't know if it is the water heater, the line or the connection - have emailed ETI for guidance. Anyone have this happened?
When I had the 17, I had the propane detector go off during conditions where the wind was blowing into the water heater. With the 21, I've had both the propane & CO detectors go off during the same windy conditions.

With the CO detector, I first thought it was bad, but after the second time decided it was the water heater. I switched to a separate CO detector that has a read out & it stayed on 0 on a calm day, went to 300 during a windy one.