Water in window runner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Water in window runner

HI
I have a 2011 17B with a sliding window at the bed area. It's been raining hard all day and I found water (damp, not standing) in the track inside where the window travels when you open it. I've checked the drain holes and they are clear. Trailer is level.

Any advice?

As always, thank you for the assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171103_132737760.jpg  
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
Maybe wind pressure driving moisture into the vent holes?? Maybe condensate on the colder metal?? Are you using your trailer right now? Is it heated?
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmtn View Post
Maybe wind pressure driving moisture into the vent holes?? Maybe condensate on the colder metal?? Are you using your trailer right now? Is it heated?
It's been a little windy.
Temp is around 54 ish
Not using, not heated
Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leaks

The only time this happened to us was on the 19. It was due to a driving rain all day. We installed the stick on gutters above all the opening windows and down the sides. No more leaks. My drains were a little plugged up and from then on I kept them clean(er) . Have not had a problem on the 21 and have been in some hard rains while under weigh.
Ioea Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 19'
This is a timely post for me. I checked the mattress in our 2011 19 ft. last week and found it soaking wet. Wasn't sure where the water was coming from so I sprayed the trailer with a hose and found the water was pouring into the trailer through the back passenger side window. I emailed Reese and he suggested cleaning drain holes, levelling trailer and cleaning window track. I had the trailer sloping towards the rear, thinking that the water wouldn't pool on top of the awning. Bad decision, as the water was pouring right on to the window. Because it wasn't level, only one drain (there are 2) in the window frame was being utilized. I followed Reese's suggestions and we had a good rain storm yesterday. It appears my problem may be solved. However if the mattress doesn't dry out and mould developes I will be shopping for a new one.
I am investigating installing those little plastic downspouts or some kind of gutter system.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I had the sealant used to bond the glass to the rv window frame break down and it was no longer water tight and it had no weep holes because it was a fixed window. Heavy rain would build water up and over into the inside frame channel. I would dry it out as needed and ultimately had the glass re-bonded to the frame.
You have weep holes but I'd check the glass to window frame bond also.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We had this happen last summer. Rain had penetrated the seal between the top of window frame and the fibre glass. I duct taped the top of the window and it stopped the flow into the channel. Since then ETI have resealed all the windows with the material they use today. We had this occur after 6 summers of service.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Should also point out that the trailer has never been under cover.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I had the sealant used to bond the glass to the rv window frame break down and it was no longer water tight and it had no weep holes because it was a fixed window. Heavy rain would build water up and over into the inside frame channel. I would dry it out as needed and ultimately had the glass re-bonded to the frame.
You have weep holes but I'd check the glass to window frame bond also.
I had my trailer into Escape last spring for some work. They voluntarily drilled a few weep holes into the window frame on the drivers side.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those holes in the escape window on the drivers side are standard, or used to be since 2013. Due to the curve of the exterior walls of the classic design, water would lay and not drain.
With the newer straight walls, not sure if still needed.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
HI
I have a 2011 17B with a sliding window at the bed area. It's been raining hard all day and I found water (damp, not standing) in the track inside where the window travels when you open it. I've checked the drain holes and they are clear. Trailer is level.

Any advice?

Sherm, I’d check the drip system on your pot garden....You May need to redirect a sprinkler head away from your trailer

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Sherm, I’d check the drip system on your pot garden....You May need to redirect a sprinkler head away from your trailer
Dang. So obvious even I didn't notice. But I was in Arcata, playing in a drum circle and watching the Wizard of Oz to the soundtrack of Dark side of the Moon, so I have an excuse.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Dang. So obvious even I didn't notice. But I was in Arcata, playing in a drum circle and watching the Wizard of Oz to the soundtrack of Dark side of the Moon, so I have an excuse.
Peace Brother..........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Quote:
HI

Any advice?

I had an issue with water from the roof running down the glass on the dinette slider. The drain holes managed most times, but in heavy rain they were overwhelmed, and water spilled over on the inside, saturating the cushions. By the time I noticed wet cushions, the track had drained, leaving me to wonder where the water had come from. But I finally caught it on the act.

My solution was to fabricate a gutter to interrupt and redirect the flow around the back corner of the window. The awning protected the front, but caused more to flow over the rear of the window.

I made a 10" gutter by cutting a piece of ˝" PEX in half and adhering it to the fiberglass just above the window; the 25˘ solution. No problem since.

I use latex caulk as glue so that it could be removed and modified, but I didn't, and it's still good after 2 seasons.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
I had an issue with water from the roof running down the glass on the dinette slider. The drain holes managed most times, but in heavy rain they were overwhelmed, and water spilled over on the inside, saturating the cushions. By the time I noticed wet cushions, the track had drained, leaving me to wonder where the water had come from. But I finally caught it on the act.

My solution was to fabricate a gutter to interrupt and redirect the flow around the back corner of the window. The awning protected the front, but caused more to flow over the rear of the window.

I made a 10" gutter by cutting a piece of ˝" PEX in half and adhering it to the fiberglass just above the window; the 25˘ solution. No problem since.

I use latex caulk as glue so that it could be removed and modified, but I didn't, and it's still good after 2 seasons.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
That's interesting because our 2015 model came with a rain gutter over that window installed by the factory.