Water on bathroom floor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Water on bathroom floor

I need some help. I'm in central Texas and have an Escape 21. We have had some unusually freezing temperatures. I did drain all of the lines prior to the temps dropping. I walked into the bathroom last night and there was about 1/2-3/4 inch water on the ground. It seems like it had been there for a while, getting a little slimy. I opened the drain and drained it, but I can't figure out where it came from? Any ideas? A leaky window, a leaky bathroom vent? I'm going to spray water on the window today to see if that was what happened. We have had some super strong winds with the rain so I guess that's a possibility. Also concerned about if there is water there, where else could it be. Any experts or folks with prior experience with this out there? Also, random and not related, there is a slight oder in the under bed compartment. I can't tell if it's dead animal or black tank smelling. I can't find a dead animal, and don't see any obvious leaks from the black tank/lines. It's a closed system, so I would not expect an oder. Any ideas?
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Make sure the Weep Holes on the bottom/outside of the bathroom window are clear of debris. When the holes are plugged, the bottom of the window frame acts like a collection tray and funnels rain water inside. This is true on all classic trailer windows. Good luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leaks

I will second the plugged window channels if present. After I got the weep slots cleaned on all of the windows in our 2010 19, we added the vinyl gutters that stick on above and down the sides of each window that opened as a slider. No further leaks even in some very stiff winds. We make it a practice to closely examine the caulking on each roof opening or fixture in the early spring and about August before the expected Fall rainy season. The crank open bathroom vent on the 19 leaked due to the flexible plastic lid and aging seal. We had Escape change it out for a power vent to help pull the moisture out of the bathroom after showers. No more problems and a dryer enclosure. That’s all I got. Ignore the tire picture, I made a , mmmmistake. That was hard
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
A4FC51BD-A268-4DF1-BAF8-E9EE27B3DE2F.jpg   E3ED0328-D945-49E0-92E8-01567302F962.jpg  
Old 03-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Water on the floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologals View Post
I need some help. I'm in central Texas and have an Escape 21. We have had some unusually freezing temperatures. I did drain all of the lines prior to the temps dropping. I walked into the bathroom last night and there was about 1/2-3/4 inch water on the ground. It seems like it had been there for a while, getting a little slimy. I opened the drain and drained it, but I can't figure out where it came from? Any ideas? A leaky window, a leaky bathroom vent? I'm going to spray water on the window today to see if that was what happened. We have had some super strong winds with the rain so I guess that's a possibility. Also concerned about if there is water there, where else could it be. Any experts or folks with prior experience with this out there? Also, random and not related, there is a slight oder in the under bed compartment. I can't tell if it's dead animal or black tank smelling. I can't find a dead animal, and don't see any obvious leaks from the black tank/lines. It's a closed system, so I would not expect an oder. Any ideas?
Hi: yologals... If you have a round powered vent and the lid was left popped up... it'll leak on the floor. Last week we didn't keep track of how full the grey tank was... oops... wet bathroom floor cause the drain was slightly open!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Iowa Dave... Thet tar don't look to have no leek? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I believe one person on the forum discovered their bathroom ceiling vent was popping open a bit in high wind (or driving down the road), letting in wind-drive rain. They simply rolled up a facial towel and slid it into the loop handle of the opening mechanism so the vent couldn't pop up when they didn't want it to. I hope that makes sense. That seemed to have worked for them.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We too had water leak into our trailer due to plugged window frame weep holes. I have added a check for this to my trailer maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
WHat is the best way to clean the window vents ?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
The channel at the bottom of the window collects water, then if clear of debris, funnels it out the weep hole. This window has only one hole, the larger windows have only two. I open the window and work the hole with a toothpick or bent paper clip from both sides. The clog will be right in the hole, but other dirt or debris may be visible along the track leading to the hole. When everything is dry, it is also easy to open the window and vacuum the track from the inside. It’s the first thing I do before washing the exterior. Since my first clog, regular vacuuming of all tracks has kept them clear.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

Thank you! I will check the vent also, but it appears the leak is coming from the back of the toilet. The piping behind the toilet is wet and releases water when I press on the plastic piping. Can't tell if its one of the black rubber seals or the actual pipe. Also, am not connected to water, so I'm assuming it's condensation! Now on to find out to trouble shoot what going on behind my toilet.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
I use a drill bit slightly smaller than the weep holes and just use my fingers to spin/twist it while I push it in and out of the opening. The drill bit acts like a drill bit, albeit at a very slow manual speed, and will pull any debris out as you spin/twist it, just like wood or metal coming out of the hole one normally drills when a power drill is attached to the bit.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Thank you! I will check the vent also, but it appears the leak is coming from the back of the toilet. The piping behind the toilet is wet and releases water when I press on the plastic piping. Can't tell if its one of the black rubber seals or the actual pipe. Also, am not connected to water, so I'm assuming it's condensation! Now on to find out to trouble shoot what going on behind my toilet.
You aren’t connected to water, but was the internal plumbing left pressurized? A 1/2” to 3/4” of water on the bath floor is way more than could be produced by condensation alone.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #13

Nope did not leave it pressurized. Completely unpressurized. It's been more humid here than I've seen in a long time. The dehumidifier I run is filling up and needing to be emptied daily. I guess I'm going to connect to water, be ready for a leak and see if the water module assembly is what is leaking. Looks like it's a pain to replace and that I will have to remove the toilet to fix it.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Nope did not leave it pressurized. Completely unpressurized. It's been more humid here than I've seen in a long time. The dehumidifier I run is filling up and needing to be emptied daily. I guess I'm going to connect to water, be ready for a leak and see if the water module assembly is what is leaking. Looks like it's a pain to replace and that I will have to remove the toilet to fix it.
If it is the toilet the good news is that it is not that hard to remove. Remove the two closet bolts and the toilet is super light. Had ours out in the 19 when I had to replace the flexible supply line. If it is the water module this may help if you haven’t seen it yet:

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...ter-Module.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom leak, h2o in shower, odor