Water Pump Issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Water Pump Issue

I've just gone through the dewinterization process on my 2013 Escape 19. Everything went well except I cannot get water from my taps when using the water pump. I hear the pump running but no water comes from any of the taps. I've filled the fresh water tank 1/3 full. Because I couldn't get water from the fresh water tank I hooked up a hose to the city water intake and I have no issues with getting water then. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
cschambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschambach View Post
I've just gone through the dewinterization process on my 2013 Escape 19. Everything went well except I cannot get water from my taps when using the water pump. I hear the pump running but no water comes from any of the taps. I've filled the fresh water tank 1/3 full. Because I couldn't get water from the fresh water tank I hooked up a hose to the city water intake and I have no issues with getting water then. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Have you turned the valves on the water heater bypass, if so it will take awhile to fill the water heater before water comes from the spigot. Check the water tank again, you may have emptied it into the water heater.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Yes. I made sure the hot water tank was filled with the water from the city water intake before turning on the heater. The fresh water tank still shows 1/3 full and the water pump keeps running even if there are no taps open.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you have a winterizing kit installed, it may use valves to direct the antifreeze to the pump or the water tank, make sure they are back to the fresh water tank.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you have a winterizing kit installed, it may use valves to direct the antifreeze to the pump or the water tank, make sure they are back to the fresh water tank.
Thanks, Bob, but I don't have a winterizing kit installed.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
CS,
My pump ran a little while this spring before it pumped water, maybe 20 secs. It sounded like it had lost its prime and was trying to pump air before the water came through. All I can suggest is making sure the intake line to the pump is tight and that the intake line doesn't have any apparent holes. The info I have from pump manufacturer says the pump can be run dry indefinitely without a problem.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Symptom: Pump won't shut off AND it runs very quietly. (It is MUCH noisier when working right.)

I have had the pump run for a few minutes to reprime itself after draining the tank. Opening a faucet and letting the water/air run helps.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With air in the line it is not uncommon to have this kinda behavior, but if bled it should not. I would double check that you did completely purge the air out of the hot water tank and lines? Otherwise, there is likely an issue with the pump itself, either not getting to pressure, or not sensing that it is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Removing the aerator from the faucet and cleaning out debris caught in it solved my problem with my water pump.
If it works, it's a quick fix. Just pay attention to which parts go back in what order and which side up.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Add another 5 gallons to the fresh water tank and try again. The tank liquid indicators are not accurate.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Add another 5 gallons to the fresh water tank and try again. The tank liquid indicators are not accurate.
Yeah, good thought.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #12

I had the same thing happen this spring and adding more water and opening a faucet for a couple minutes did the trick.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I overcame this problem once by opening the sink tap, turning the pump on and sucking on the tap. Pulled the airlock through the pump and away it went!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
I overcame this problem once by opening the sink tap, turning the pump on and sucking on the tap. Pulled the airlock through the pump and away it went!
Any chance you made a video of this procedure?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschambach View Post
I just had to replace my two year old pump and found after I replaced it it was doing the same thing you are describing. I found that that hose clamp on the clear hose coming out of the water tank was not tight enough and it was sucking air there; once tightened it worked like a charm.

Another thing; if you winterized and didn't release the water out of the one way check valve, located just inside the city water inlet, then you may have damaged that valve and you could be sucking air through the city water inlet. Also, check that your low point drain is tight and no air is being sucked through there.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Any chance you made a video of this procedure?
I am trying to avoid fame.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
I think this might be a example of infamy.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I think this might be a example of infamy.
No doubt.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #19

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I had placed a call to Reece and he basically said it's due to air in the line from when I winterized it. His suggestion was, as some of you have said ~ open a tap and fill the fresh water tank till it overflows and if that doesn't work, suck on the kitchen tap while the pump is running. Problem is, I can't try this for a couple of weeks as my trailer is back in storage right now. I'll report back, as this will probably be an annual occurrence.

This site is SUCH a GREAT resource!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I just went through this while on the road. Tammy suggested several things including sucking on the tap. Nothing worked so I was ready to contact Sure Flo. But while I was hooked up to city water at a friends, the bathroom sink started spitting air and the problem was solved. I do not know why I could not get it to do that earlier, perhaps traveling 300 miles jiggled the air out.

As to why this happened, I have a theory. During my last tank filling before the problem, I had let the hose over fill the tank with a lot of pressure. In other words, water was gushing back out of the air vent . I think it forced some air downs the line into the pump causing an "air lock." I'll not make that mistake again.
Clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dewinterization, fresh water, water pump