Water pump issues(?) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2017
Water pump issues(?)

Hi all,
I have a 2018 Escape 19.
I am un-winterizing and when I filled the water tank and turned on the pump (after using city water and purging system) the pump cycles after I turn everything off. It appears that air bubbles are in the "out" side of the pump by viewing the clear line. I have taken off the clear screen filter and inspected and reinstalled it, making sure it was hand tight. I can see no areas that are wet but I can hear air sucking into the system. When I take the hot water tank off-line the air noise stops and the pump still cycles, but more quickly.
I've also tightened all of the hose clamps going into the water pump itself.

With hot water tank on-line the pump cycles about every 10 seconds, with tank off line it cycles about every 2 or 3 seconds.
Do you have any suggestions?

No wet areas to be found, unable to tell where air sound is coming from but generally sounds like water heater area. As most of you know it is a small space so located a sound can be a problem. Pump still cycles with water heater off line
JeffO4297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Is the hot water tank full or is that what you mean by a full water tank?
Old 04-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

Yes, water heater is full. I filled and purged the system with city water before trying the pump
Old 04-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Is this the 1st time you've dewinterized the trailer? We've seen them with the HW tank bypass valves installed wrong so I'm wondering if it's worked correctly in the past.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #5

We've had our 19 since September of 2017. I winterized and had no trouble for the 2018 season. It seems to me that somehow air is being leaked into the pump or pump fixtures. I can hear a little air hiss sometimes but can't really tell where it is coming from
Old 04-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Just so you know that 2 ft x 3 ft plywood bed deck above the pump unscrews real quick if you need a better look.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #7

thanks, got the bed propped up and the little panel removed.
I've tried to reasonably tighten all the fixtures and even tried the pump priming process that Escape has on you tube.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

Trailer: ?
One possibly and one suggestion.

Inside the city water fill fitting is a check valve to prevent pressurized water from squirting out the fitting. As part of your recent procedure you may have caused the check valve to become unseated. Run the pump and see if any water is squirting out of the fitting. If so,
After you have relieved all pressure from the system, use a pencil eraser and very, very gently push the center button in and out.
If this proves to be the source of the problem and if you can’t reset the check valve, you can buy a plug at the neighborhood hardware store as a temporary / permanent fix.

Suggestion.
We just finished a three week sea trial with our new 21. Dave Warren is the head man of parts and service. A major source of good info. He helped me out several times.
He is at extension 117 or e-mail at

partsandservice@escapetrailer.com

Take care

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #9

Thanks to Ed for another option
I found the check valve behind the screen on the city water fill side. After pressing the valve I got water to come out under pressure. Then I turned on the pump and tried to press the valve again and again got water to come out. The valve seems to seal effectively as there was no squirting or dribbling with the pump running.
A big clue to me seems to be the air bubble on the outlet side of the pump. To me it suggests that there is air either in the pump or leaking into the pump somehow.
Learning a lot in this process.
I've already had one reply from Dave who suggested watching the video on purging the pump. I did that and also decreased the pressure switch by 1/2 turn as a second step. Still have the issue.
Dave may have another idea but I'm trying everything right now - thanks very much for your help
Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #10

Trailer: ?
"I got water to come out under pressure. "

Going forward, never press the tip of the check valve unless all pressure has been removed from the system by opening faucets. Doing so while the system is pressurized is a common way of breaking the interior of the valve. I did that once before and replacing the check valve is a project to be avoided.

Good luck, but if Dave can't help it's a certainty that I can't.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

thanks for that tip.
I missed Dave's call so I hope to connect tomorrow and see what the options are. Thanks for helping out
Old 04-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Do you have the optional winterizing kit, and is that valve closed?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #13

Don't have the winterizing kit. I've been in contact with Dave and he is not sure what the issue might be.
I'm going to try purging the system including hot water tank and re-priming the pump again.
Maybe it has self-healed overnight!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I'm a bit at a loss as to the cause of your issue. You have already checked the obvious. Have you seen the Shurflo troubleshooting page in the manual? If not, maybe some more ideas there. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
shurflo pump troubleshoot.JPG  
Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #15

thanks for the tips. I'm already operating way above my skill level here.
I'm thinking of trying to isolate the screen filter on the input side to see if there is a small air leak there. I do get an air bubble in the outlet side that can be seen in the clear water line.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO4297 View Post
I'm thinking of trying to isolate the screen filter on the input side to see if there is a small air leak there. I do get an air bubble in the outlet side that can be seen in the clear water line.
There are little flaps inside the pump head. If there is a piece of gunk stuck in one that can cause the pump to run because it can drain the water back into the tank thus losing pressure which causes the pump to come on. when I first got my used trailer the pump would run(for just a moment) in the middle of the night. I cleaned out the pump head and it has been fine since.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO4297 View Post
Check the filter lid . We found a hairline crack in ours . The stainless screen cut it . We now have the dome lid that Shurflo gave us for watrranty instead of the flat . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #18

Update,
I've taken apart the pump and checked the check valve, so to speak. Nothing on it but I blew softly backwards to clear it just in case. I also lifter the rubber diaphragms and cleaned them with gentle soap and water. After putting it all back together there is no change.

I'm starting to think like PanandLinda that it is something in the filter head. When I first got the trailer there was a piece of the filter wire under the gasket and the pump ran continuously. With that checked, I'm thinking that there may be a hairline crack or something on the filter side that is allowing air to seep in
Old 04-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I'm a bit at a loss as to the cause of your issue. You have already checked the obvious. Have you seen the Shurflo troubleshooting page in the manual? If not, maybe some more ideas there. See attached.
Maybe the water being used to fill the tank has a large amount of dissolved gas in it that is coming out of solution into the tanks and lines? Possibly the OP filled the tanks with carbonated water, soda pop, sparkling wine, or even beer?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #20

Interesting thought Dave
If you need me I'll be laying under the trailer draining the tank with mouth open, just in case