Water Pump Not Working - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Water Pump Not Working

Our water pump quit. We checked the screen, ensured the connections weren't leaking. When we took off the screen there was some water that leaked out. Now what? Your insights, as always, are appreciated.

Phil
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Remove the aerator from the faucet and clean out any debris, reinstall.
Good chance it will work. Make sure when you take the aerator apart that you pay attention so you can put it back together.
The pump operates just like a gas pump. When it detects back pressure it shuts off. The debris will create back pressure.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
That would be good advice, but unfortunately, didn't work. I am stumped.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It might just be out. They are pretty cheap units, and they do fail from time to time. Was it hot to the touch, or just not going on at all? I'd first check to see if there is input voltage and ground.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
What is it doing? Do you hear a low droning noise? Have you run it several minutes? May need to clear air.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Phil, if as you say "it quit" and isn't making any sound it may be done as Rob said. From previous posts this is one of three spares I keep on hand. About $80 from Amazon. The other two are the 30 Amp buss fuse and the sail switch for the heater. Those things run equipment I don't want to be stranded without a spare.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
If it is totally quiet, you might check the fuse. You probably have, but thought I would mention it just in case
Old 10-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Contact ETI and explain what you've done to diagnose the problem. Mine had a problem that wasn't detected until I hooked up to city water for the first time - - 8 months after picking up "Escaping Reality". I sent an e-mail to ETI and a new pump was in the mail in short order.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Ditto to what OneOlMan said. I contacted ETI when my pump failed and they sent me a new one.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Ditto to what OneOlMan said. I contacted ETI when my pump failed and they sent me a new one.
Our pump also quit working in first year and Tammy sent us a new one right away after speaking to her . Also later found a problem with the little filter , the screen cut it open . I replaced with the dome one and have had no problems since . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We just got back from vacation and ours is bad too. Oh well, 2 years is probably not bad.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
We just got back from vacation and ours is bad too. Oh well, 2 years is probably not bad.
Tom what is up with these pumps ? I had my camper for 12 years and before that don't know how long or if first owner ever changed out pump . My motor home same thing another 12, years 2 nd owner . I have a water distiller in my home which uses a same pump to bring water to sink and frig . That has been used since 1994 . The point being these pumps are failing too soon .another item just like dometic . I guess I should get another and carry it with me . Pat
Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A question might be, what part of the pump is failing?
Mine is fine after seven years, but, I only turn it on when I'm going to run water and turn it off when I'm done.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine is fine after seven years, but, I only turn it on when I'm going to run water and turn it off when I'm done.
I do that too except the pump running the water distiller is always plugged in never off in house to get water at sink and for ice maker . That one so far 21 years so far everyday use . Go figure . Pat
Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #15

water pump not working

2 pics of water distiller used every day since 1994, never shut off . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010001.jpg   P1010002.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's a good point because everything is left under pressure otherwise. If you didn't completely turn off a faucet or outdoor shower, then it will keep burping. Also- I know our pump works harder when we're low on fresh water, which we like to do prior to travelling long distances. This could also be a reason for early failure perhaps?

It's like most electrical things in my mind; they generally fail sooner than later if there is a defect. Keep a spare; if it fails within two years have ETI send you a replacement spare.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That's a good point because everything is left under pressure otherwise. If you didn't completely turn off a faucet or outdoor shower, then it will keep burping. Also- I know our pump works harder when we're low on fresh water, which we like to do prior to travelling long distances. This could also be a reason for early failure perhaps?

It's like most electrical things in my mind; they generally fail sooner than later if there is a defect. Keep a spare; if it fails within two years have ETI send you a replacement spare.
Rossue too short of time for failure . My previous Rvs used the same got long life .these are failing too soon . I always keep water in tanks and fill before trip and take another 20 gallons with me because trailer tank is small when I have no hookups . Who wants to change water pump on road ? I think the young man at RV store was right when he said I wanted a RV when I started work here but now I don't want one after working here . I will be saving my money . I will still keep my RV but are they making junk now ? Pat
Old 10-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #18

Hi Pat- remember the phrase "planned obsolescence? That was heard in the 1960's as I recall. That was also the time of "How Are Ya 5'0"(Mad Magazine) was on the air with Jack MaGarrish, et al. One of the arch villains was Wo Fat. Like my daughter says all fiction becomes true. Seems like everything is "Made In China" now, and most tradesmen seem to lament the decline in quality whether it be marine stainless or simple fasteners. The fact that a water pump fails inside two years doesn't surprise me but reminds me of a dishwasher we had fail within two years due to "clogging of the arteries". Another fact to consider is that water quality for many has declined significantly over the last decade.

I bought two Kohler toilets- K3810 one-piece. A little pricey at over $300 each. Have had problems with both within two years. The first I had to replace the tank guts, and then when we got home after our last outing the other one wouldn't flush. Turned out to be the weep holes around the rim that pour water into the bowl were clogged by hard water- even though we have two Culligan tanks that are changed every 30 days.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Have to agree with Pat that it seems like pumps are going out at a bit higher rate than you normally encounter on trailers. Only time I've ever lost a pump was when I hadn't winterized yet and froze it. What brand/model is ETI using?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #20

SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump....from my Amazon Orders list. Cost $68.