Water Pump Quit, Extremely Hot to Touch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #21

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
water pump

Our last trip we used the pump most of the time and then we had a small flow and the pump would at times not shut off by the pressure switch. We made it home OK and I pulled the pump as I had checked for air leaks and tried to adjust the switches on the trip. I knew the warranty would probably require a stop at a business to have it repaired and it only cost $68 on internet so I went for fixing it myself, plus in the early 21's the pump was hard to reach under the fridge instead of under the bed as the later 21's. Now it's very easy to reach and adjust and we lost a portion of the cabinet under the fridge where we used to store dog food and there is an additional rubber pad to isolate the pump and make it quiet, or more so.
Jack
Ready to go to Bisbee this weekend.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Early 21 water pump dry

Jumping off Jack's post here.....

So I had a leak in my fresh tank, which ran the pump dry - air pocket. I have ran pump dry for about 40secs total to clear air in line but no joy as of yet.

Can anyone give me pointers? Its not like the pump is sitting pretty under the bed to visually inspect. Rip the panelling off the wheel well cupboard? Run it for another burst or two to prime pump? Call Reace Monday?

I am at full service site now, and can hop home with stops at other full service sites but would rather not.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Jumping off Jack's post here.....

So I had a leak in my fresh tank, which ran the pump dry - air pocket. I have ran pump dry for about 40secs total to clear air in line but no joy as of yet.

Can anyone give me pointers? Its not like the pump is sitting pretty under the bed to visually inspect. Rip the panelling off the wheel well cupboard? Run it for another burst or two to prime pump? Call Reace Monday?

I am at full service site now, and can hop home with stops at other full service sites but would rather not.
Be sure the tank is full-ish. (DUH!) Disconnect the fill hose. Open a hot water tap and run the pump until it primes - several minutes if need be. (Some say cold water, or both hot and cold. Hot has worked best for me.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ditto that; we always use the pump and sometimes are low enough in fresh tank to suck air. Pump is louder then. It can sometimes take almost a gallon or so to purge.

A spare pump is in our spares inventory, as is the 30 amp buss fuse as well as the paddle switch for the heater.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #25

Mine makes a low pitch thrumbing sound. No joy yet. Have stopped.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have no clue, but have you removed and cleaned debris from the aerator on the faucet?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Baglo clueless? Get outta the trailer!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #28

Aerator debris cleaned out. Surprising little debris but pump back to normal sound/action after cleaning

Thanks Glenn, Ross and jamman for responses.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We are on a 6-8 week adventure right now. About 3 weeks in, our water pump started gurgling (putting out both water and air). Ours is one of the early 21s so the water pump is located below the fridge. I opened up the cabinet and watched the pump try to purge air from the intake side of the pump by watching through the clear cap on the strainer. It would pull water from the tank, but would never quite get all the air out. When the pump was turned off the strainer would loose the water back into the tank. After checking all connections leading up to the pump strainer, I stumbled onto the problem. The clear cap on the strainer had a small crack along it's edge. The RV store close by didn't carry the exact strainer so I replaced the original strainer with one they carried. I asked if he sold many of these strainers and he said he sells a ton of them. With this in mind, I thought I'd pass this on.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
We are on a 6-8 week adventure right now. About 3 weeks in, our water pump started gurgling (putting out both water and air). Ours is one of the early 21s so the water pump is located below the fridge. I opened up the cabinet and watched the pump try to purge air from the intake side of the pump by watching through the clear cap on the strainer. It would pull water from the tank, but would never quite get all the air out. When the pump was turned off the strainer would loose the water back into the tank. After checking all connections leading up to the pump strainer, I stumbled onto the problem. The clear cap on the strainer had a small crack along it's edge. The RV store close by didn't carry the exact strainer so I replaced the original strainer with one they carried. I asked if he sold many of these strainers and he said he sells a ton of them. With this in mind, I thought I'd pass this on.
Tom
Also happened to us . It seams like the screen cuts into the plastic at top . I replaced with the dome cap one instead of the flat top that Escape installed . Also had to replace pump in first year . Escape sent me a replacement pump . The original strainer is a bad design . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Pat, I agree on the poor design. I also thought it was the screen that did the damage, and hearing it from you just confirms it. We also went to the dome cap design where the screen never touches the cap.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
Pat, I agree on the poor design. I also thought it was the screen that did the damage, and hearing it from you just confirms it. We also went to the dome cap design where the screen never touches the cap.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote