Water Pump Repacement Recommendations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 17B
Water Pump Repacement Recommendations

We are putting a tools/spare parts list together for our new 17B and would appreciate brand & model recommendations for a spare replacement water pump to carry with us.
Thanks.
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Todtman View Post
We are putting a tools/spare parts list together for our new 17B and would appreciate brand & model recommendations for a spare replacement water pump to carry with us.
Thanks.

?? odds are you will carry it for years taking up valuable space before you will ever need it. Assorted fuses and a set of wheel bearings and seals I can see carrying. The fuses in case one ever blows, they are light and do not take up very much space. The wheel bearing kit also does not take up much space and while maybe never needed can really save the day if one failed.

Edit, if it did fail you could always drain water out of the fresh water tank to get by with until the replacement arrives , Or buy a few water containers and use them.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I don’t fully agree it will be years until you might have problems with your water pump. These pumps are not precision, finely honed machines. But I doubt the mechanical component will fail. More likely the check valve assembly will lose its ability to seal and city water will end up overflowing the fresh water tank. Replacing the check valve is easy and the “repair kit” does not weigh much or take up much space. I would recommend you procure a repair kit and carry it rather than another pump. Regardless of whichever option you choose, you will need to cut and splice the 12v wire to the pump if you are replacing it, and the same is likely true should you decide to install a new check valve. The pump in most trailers is usually installed in a location which makes “in place” repairs difficult if not impossible.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There were quite a few people who had to replace their pumps early on as we do. Just did not bother replacing it for a long time now. We did not complain to Escape about it but others were sent new pumps by them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Much more useful to buy a five gallon water container and take that with you for backup. I fill it near camp and use it on the picnic table, which is my main kitchen. You can also use it at home to store water for the big quake.
Water pump in my 17B is original.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Regardless of whichever option you choose, you will need to cut and splice the 12v wire to the pump if you are replacing it, and the same is likely true should you decide to install a new check valve. The pump in most trailers is usually installed in a location which makes “in place” repairs difficult if not impossible.
Yes, I'm just in the middle of a mod and relocating the water pump. I wasn't pleased to find that it is hard wired in. It'll go back in with spade terminals. Not a heck of a lot of free wire available without sniping cable ties.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
If you have ever replaced a propane detector you can vouch that Escape does not leave much wire to work with.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
If you have ever replaced a propane detector you can vouch that Escape does not leave much wire to work with.
If they did leave slack, some would be complaining that things stored in the compartment get tangled in the wires. I have replaced my propane detector and would have appreciated being able to plug the new one in. I expect that would be a safety issue though. If it can be plugged in, it can become unplugged.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If they did leave slack, some would be complaining that things stored in the compartment get tangled in the wires. I have replaced my propane detector and would have appreciated being able to plug the new one in. I expect that would be a safety issue though. If it can be plugged in, it can become unplugged.
The trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle and it could become unplugged, but nobody seems to lose any sleep over that possibility. When hooking up, one of the “accepted” steps is to check the lights. The propane detector has an indicator light. If it came unplugged, it would be evident with a glance. I really don’t see a plug on the propane detector any more a safety issue than the 7-pin connector between the trailer and the tug. Being 100% honest, when I replaced my propane detector, I installed a plug to make the next change out easier. And it’s never come unplugged, not yet, anyway.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Complaints

My Dad used to say “ You would complain if they hung you with a new rope.” Today on our way back from Fort Wayne we encountered slick roadway conditions from about Walcott Iowa to Iowa City on I 80. Several vehicles in the ditch or median against the cable. Notably an ambulance carrying at least one patient upside down in the ditch with 5 additional ambulances sighted both at the scene or enroute. We felt fortunate to get through there unscathed. The Michelin Defenders were pretty darn surefooted on the Highlander. So, no complaints, Take care of the big stuff and don’t sweat the small stuff. Easy does it, winter isn’t over.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I don’t fully agree it will be years until you might have problems with your water pump. These pumps are not precision, finely honed machines. But I doubt the mechanical component will fail. More likely the check valve assembly will lose its ability to seal and city water will end up overflowing the fresh water tank. Replacing the check valve is easy and the “repair kit” does not weigh much or take up much space. I would recommend you procure a repair kit and carry it rather than another pump. Regardless of whichever option you choose, you will need to cut and splice the 12v wire to the pump if you are replacing it, and the same is likely true should you decide to install a new check valve. The pump in most trailers is usually installed in a location which makes “in place” repairs difficult if not impossible.
I went looking to see if the Shurflo 4008-101-A65 installed in our unit had a high rate of failure or not. I did not see any real complaints other than housings cracking when frozen but that does not happen here so...
One thing I did notice, Ours is mounted vertical on a wall with the head up and the motor down. The writing is upside down which made reading it real fun. According to the 12V manual for the pump it can be mounted in any position. But the exact same pump with a 115AC motor has a warning

The pump may be mounted in any position.
However, if mounting the pump vertically the pump
head should be in the down position so that in the
event of a leak, fluid will not enter the motor.

I am about to mount the accumulator tank so I can change this if needed. Anyone else with a 2017 19 have their pump mounted this way?

Edit, if I did change the mounting it would be to move it horizontal as otherwise the inlet screen will be on the wrong side and adjusting the pump would require removal.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I saw a Shurflo 4008 with 3.0 gpm and another with 2.3 gpm that costs more. Anyone know what's with that?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I saw a Shurflo 4008 with 3.0 gpm and another with 2.3 gpm that costs more. Anyone know what's with that?
Need more information.

Seen in same place? Possible misprint. If different retailers, prices for these pumps are all over the place, with some retailers charging twice as much as others for the exact same pump.

Different model number(s)? Shur-Flo has several models.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Shurflo makes the Revolution 4008 Pump in both 3 GPM with 55 psi shutoff and a 2.3 GPM with 50 psi shutoff. They appear to be built exactly the same. Not sure of the price difference. Escape uses the 3 GPM pump.

REVOLUTION™ 4008 Pumps
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote