Water puzzles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Water puzzles

Even tho I'm winterizing, I'm thinking ahead to next season (optimistic, eh) I want to understand the 'working guts' of Greyt Escape so...I was wondering
how/when water gets into hot water tank.
Does it only fill when the hot faucet is open? Does it get filled from the hose at home when I fill the fresh tank?
How do I insure it doesn't become empty and damaged when the hot water heater's on and we're using lots of hot water?

As for winterizing...I can't see where to attach the adaptor to get pink antfreeze into the water pump, as seen on Tammy's video (which I've watched waaay too many times.
Is it really safe to dump that pink stuff right into the fresh water tank and just pump from there? That sure would be easier.
Any suggestions from wiser folk is greatly appreciated. Although I'm not here often, people have been very helpful and friendly here when I do show up
Deb
Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Water puzzles

Hi Deb

What you need is a winterize valve like this
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...62&pageNum=-51
Its the water system siphon kit.

It is easy to install, when you want to winterize you turn the valve to the fresh water
off position and that opens it up to the intake hose you stick in the jug of anti freeze
start the pump and let everything run until the water turns pink.

The anti freeze that runs down the sinks & shower will help protect the traps.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #3

Easy for YOU to install
Thanks for the info, but after nosing around under the seat where utilities are, I still couldn't tell where to attach a bypass.
Geesh. I'd like to avoid antifeeeze in my fresh tank if possible.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: deb h... My local RV. Tech charges $50. to winterize. He will even do it in my driveway. He uses an air compressor to keep the anti freeze going where it should...not in the fresh w. tank or the w. heater. In the spring when you rince out the lines etc. fill the fresh w. tank and drain 2X then fill and open the bypass valve and turn on the hot w. tap. When the gurgling stops the w.heater should be full...that is if the drain plug/anode rod is tightened in!!! Alf p.s. I think it's well worth the $$$$'s
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hi Deb, the KEY thing is, whether you winterize from the fresh water tank, or use the connector to the water pump, THAT YOU BYPASS THE WATER HEATER AND THEN DRAIN IT DRY BY REMOVING THE ANODE PLUG! And I think Tammy's video illustrates that very well. Flushing the antifreeze out of your fresh water tank is not a big deal in the spring, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. To me, that's the easiest way, but everyone's different. Just be sure you bypass the water heater. Of course, using Alf's method, you shouldn't have to worry about it at all. Just the two meals you and your's could have had out somewhere on that $50 : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'm planning on winterizing tomorrow. I'm paying close attention to this thread. But, my plan is to drain the hot water tank by taking out the anode, open the drain for the fresh water and then blow out the water lines with my new compressor and the adapters I picked up at ACE hardware in Oregon. I have to justify the purchase somehow. I'll spread a gallon or two of RV anti-freeze to the sinks and shower traps and black tank.

And, then, I'll probably keep my oil-filled heater going whenever the temps drop enough to raise my concern. It's what I did last year, but then we live in North Vancouver, not Prince George, and last year I didn't have the compressor to blow out the water lines.

baglo
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Once you blow them out, make sure to refill them with antifreeze.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #8

Hi: HokieEscape...Dan...We still have to use the $50. gift cards from last Christmas for the Keg Steakhouse. A couple of softball sized rare steaks with garlic mashed potatos coming up!!! Oh and 2 Keg sized 3oz. Margaritas...Are we there yet Alf
Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Once you blow them out, make sure to refill them with antifreeze.
The whole point of the exercise is not to use anti-freeze in the lines. You fire air through them until no more water vapor appears at the taps. From what I've read, it may be easier to use anti-freeze to winterize, but then you have a lot more to do in the spring to remove it.

baglo
Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #10

As I understood the video, all you need to do is drain the holding tanks and the water heater. Antifreeze is presented as an alternative.

But obviously that ignores P-traps in the sinks and toilet. P-traps must be blown out or have antifreeze. Is there a P-trap in the toilet, by the way?

Where will I find RV antifreeze? I can't see it as necessary for waste tanks and lines. Shouldn't windshield fluid serve? Or dilute methyl hydrate (methyl alcohol)?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #11

Hi: ronstew...RV. antifreeze( pink stuff) is avail. at wally mart etc. for about $5. bucks a gal. and is NONTOXIC. Windshield washer fluid or auto antifreeze is POISON Alf
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #12

Trailer: '07 17B

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there are any "P" traps at all! It appears the sink drain has a 90 degree bend, then exits straight out the side of the trailer. The toilet goes straight down into the black-water tank. I don't have a shower, so i can't comment on that. I just used 1 gal. of antifreeze 'till the taps & toilet ran pink, end of story. It's a simple matter to run water (with a cup of bleach) though in the spring to flush that out. The pink antifreeze is good 'till -50.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #13

Don't forget to run the pink stuff through the outside shower if you have one (or blow out all the water if you go that route). Easily forgotten since it's not in the main flow of things.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #14

FYI

I've shifted the topic over to Solving Problems since it morphed from the original post.

baglo
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Ron, you are right in thinking there is no trap in the trailer toilet. It keeps the odours out through using a good seal when it closes.

Gary, the sinks and shower all have p-traps to keep the odours from coming back up through the pipes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #16

Sorry Glenn, I don't know how to get over to your new thread : - (
Yes, the black tank uses a good seal and a little water in the bowl to keep odors out. I had to educate my grand's that you don't hold the toilet flusher open for long periods of time, but momentarily, that is, only long enough to empty the bowl, period. Then add a little water.
The sinks and shower, or so it appears underneath the camper, all flow into one "U" trap (not your typical "P" trap) before it empties into the gray tank. So, the necessity for putting some antifreeze into the drains is real. Rease is the only one that (maybe) knows, for sure, if there are any other traps on the drains.
Since the antifreeze is so cheap, I use 2 gallons (overkill, I know). After I'm sure ALL the lines are running pink, I drain the gray tank again (draining out the water I flushed out of the lines), and then pour 1/2 of the second gallon (the first gallon is in the fresh water tank) down the 3 drains and the second 1/2 down the black water tank. That covers the drain lines for the gray and black tanks which are obviously outside, and vulnerable to freezing.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #17

I didn't move anything. I just posted on winterizing under the Problem Solving topic rather than FAQ About Escape. You can post wherever you like. I only know how to move whole topics, not individual messages so when the discussion moves beyond the original subject, I'm helpless ( or hopeless ) to do anything about it.

baglo
Old 10-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #18

Know what you're trying to do. If anyone is searching for "winterizing" info, they won't look under "water puzzles". Thanks for trying!!! I'm electronically compromised myself : - (
Old 10-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #19

Hi: All... Here's a pic of the main trap beside the bathroom under the stove in our 5.0. The other one is a V trap under the trailer and below the shower drain. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
trapshooting.jpg   down under 2.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #20

I'm corrected, that's Rease AND Alf : - ) Yep, that's the one under the trailer, and I didn't get under the stove....so, there you are...you'd better add that pink stuff to your drains.