Wet Bed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Re: Wet Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: memobug...I think you have just touched on the issue of how these Escapes are built to be used. They require a drying out period between uses. These trailers aren't really designed for continous usage. The volume of air space in them isn't enough to hold the moisture output of a family, either personal, or cooking, or heating for extended periods of time!!!
We encounter problems when we push the boundarys of resonable use. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
That's probably very true! We've never used the Escape for 3 solid weeks, never mind the pouring rain and cold temperatures! It's all nice and dry now, sitting alone in the driveway...
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All...Heating the air by any means on cold nights and or cold rainy days will produce moisture. That moisture will then collect on cold surfaces in the trailer requiring a drying out period. Alf
Agreed, sort-of. The moisture in the outside air being drawn in by the furnace will condense on the cool trailer sides and windows. An electric cube heater won't produce any extra moisture in the air at all...where would it come from? I'd bet the biggest culprit is all that pesky breathing. You get Deb and I and three good-sized dogs in there and its gets a bit damp indeed.

I've used "Damp-Rid" packages for quite a while now and they do pull out some of the humidity. I'd bet an electric de-humidifier would be effective (where power is available, of course.)

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #23

Dave, see Barry's post. Combustion air does not enter the trailer.

Alf, see Dave and Barry's posts. Heaters don't moisten the air (we could get extra picky and find counter-examples, but in general, not unless you are burning something inside the trailer).

Two corgis also add a fair bit of moisture to the air.

Ron

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... I guess what I'm trying to say is warm (heated) air has the capacity to hold more moisture...until it reaches a cold surface, or trapped cold air ie: in a corner or a cupboard. Then the moisture collects on those surfaces.
Our new HVAC home system has to have an outside air supply for combustion as it doesn't draw air from the house. This in turn has raised the humidity levels in the house to the point of having wet windows all winter. We have sealed the house to conserve the heat and now must leave a window open all winter to draw in cold dry air... The alternative is to put in a fan forced air to air heat exchanger, or several large cap. dehumidifiers, which in turn will consume more electricity...Go Figure!!! We are now on Smart Meters and time of use pricing for our Hydro!!! YIKES Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
Dave, see Barry's post. Combustion air does not enter the trailer.

Alf, see Dave and Barry's posts. Heaters don't moisten the air (we could get extra picky and find counter-examples, but in general, not unless you are burning something inside the trailer).

Two corgis also add a fair bit of moisture to the air.

Ron
Ron, understood. That's what I was trying to say; I guess I didn't say it as clearly as I should have.

Dave
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Wet Bed - Not Wet This Time!

I wanted to post as a follow up to this topic from last spring. My husband again just returned from a 2 week trip to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, where it rains nearly every day of the year. This year he did not have a problem with a wet mattress and I just wanted to report on a number of things we did to prevent the condensation problems.

We purchased the Eva-Dry Edv-2200 Mid-Size Dehumidifier that someone mentioned last year. Got it through Amazon for around $80. It is quite small and I've actually been running it full time in the trailer (we do not have covered parking for it) for the last couple of months. It is quite humid where we live and I've been emptying the water reservoir maybe once a week. Up in Washington Bruce was emptying it around every other day. Here's a link to the dehumidifier:
http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-22...3420015&sr=8-1

Also bought this little monitor for under $12. Although I'm sure it's not a precision instrument, I've been impressed with the accuracy of the temperature and relative humidity readings.
http://www.amazon.com/Acu-Rite-Indoo...3420194&sr=8-1

The other measures we took to keep the walls/bed drier in a wet environment were:

1. Made sure the Maxx Fan vent was open at least a little.
2. Used a plastic all-around mattress cover (with the memory foam pad on top of that)
3. Kept a door to the under bed storage area open so that there would not be such a big temperature difference between that area and the bed.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend the dehumidifier. It is small and not that loud. Of course, it is only an option when camping with an electrical hookup.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7685.JPG  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #27

We actually use the eva-dry in the RV and use the dehumidifer in our walk in closet at home.. It works really well.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #28

Having full timed with a skirted 5.0 parked in MHP in central NC since last July I have had no issue with high moisture on any walls.
Ingredients for dryness are: factory wall insulation extra, factory durapane window extra, maxfan partially vented and running at low setting as needed, small computer fan stirring air in bedroom, propane heater for heat, bath vent fan when showering, and humidity monitor in unit.
No numbers available yet but tests to date indicate I can replicate the activity in dry camp using dual 95 watt solars and 6 V batteries.
Skirting comes off this week for weekend inland and coastal fishing with the kayak.

jopoelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

Curious -- has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-...ws/B000H0XFD2/

For what it's worth, we did have some condensation during our 8-night trip (and it was pretty cold/snowing for part of it) -- but not much really. We have the insulation sprayed on the bottom of the camper and I'm curious if that may actually help us with this in the future?

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
Curious -- has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-...ws/B000H0XFD2/

For what it's worth, we did have some condensation during our 8-night trip (and it was pretty cold/snowing for part of it) -- but not much really. We have the insulation sprayed on the bottom of the camper and I'm curious if that may actually help us with this in the future?

~e
E - we have one of those, but I don't know how much it really helps. We leave the top vent and the window closest to our heads always at least partly open and that seems to help immensely.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19 2011

Surprised, last weekend we made a shakedown trip to the Ottawa municipal campground (Kanata). The ESCAPE 19 was level, and the passenger side rear window was left open (screened). During a brief rain storm and squall, overnight, enough water entered the window to wet the bedding. We did not have the awning open, but the screen is further to the rear than the awning. I think that water from one quarter of the roof was directed over the window screen, and some entered. Is there a rain gutter to redirect this water?

Peter of EsKaPe
esKaPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: esKaPe... You have just uncovered my worst nightmare!!! Waking up in the morning to find you have "Wetbedding". With a 5.0 the problem is reversed. The dinette cushions suffer the worst as the open part of the window is just outside the edge of the awning. I'm not sure that MaxxAir louvered window covers would help...but some owners have put one on. You can't put one on the fire exit window however.
The only thing we leave open at night, is the MaxxFan. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

This reminds me of camping on a glacier fed lake north of Squamish in our Sir Edmund Hillary tent ( thanks Sears and I can't wait see see the last of both of you ). Under torrential skies, I awoke at 4am with the family-size tent about to collapse under the weight of 40 gallons of water that had collected in the fly cover, so cleverly supported by the tent poles, except in the center.

In my underwear, dead of night, but above freezing, just, in the driving rain, I had no choice but to tug on the fly until the water spilled out, on me, of course.

So, I can only suggest, you shut the window.

baglo

Old 06-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21

What is it about rain, tents and men in their underwear?? We had a similar event, years ago in Manning Park. The difference being, while Don was out in his underwear, the rest of the campground decided to evacuate, driving by, illuminating the embarrassment.
Bea
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #35

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by esKaPe
Surprised, last weekend we made a shakedown trip to the Ottawa municipal campground (Kanata). The ESCAPE 19 was level, and the passenger side rear window was left open (screened). During a brief rain storm and squall, overnight, enough water entered the window to wet the bedding. We did not have the awning open, but the screen is further to the rear than the awning. I think that water from one quarter of the roof was directed over the window screen, and some entered. Is there a rain gutter to redirect this water
Peter of EsKaPe
Heh Peter..we leave the passenger side window cracked ALL the time to allow fresh air to enter. This mod allows that to happen without the wet (dinette for us) bed! Yes, it does work just fine. http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...sg4217#msg4217
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

this is why I ordered an opening window over the kitchen, with the awning open just 2-3 feet, it should be protected from water runoff until I install window maxxair vents.