What are "filler boards" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
What are "filler boards"

In another thread I saw mention of an unlisted option (for $100 each) for "filler boards" that are used when the u-shaped dinette is made into a bed.

What exactly are these? If they're used instead of the table (as mentioned in the post), what do you do with the table? Do you even have one in your dinette?

Anyone have photos?

I'm strongly considering getting the u-shaped dinette, but can't make the final decision until I actually sit in one (any in the Seatac area?); most likely at the factory when we eventually go up there. I want to be able to stretch out and read - I can't do that in the regular dinette and I don't use the bed for that either.

From time to time the dinette would be made into a bed, so I'm wondering if this is an option I would want.

Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The filler board I have makes the u-shape dinette into a twin bed at the back. It's covered and trimmed just like the kitchen counter and I had a cushion made that matches the rest of the fabric in Ten Forward. I do not have a mounted table, I have two stooge tables instead. Sorry, no pics. I'm at work all my pictures are on my home PC. Maybe someone else will post pics.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The filler board I have makes the u-shape dinette into a twin bed at the back. It's covered and trimmed just like the kitchen counter and I had a cushion made that matches the rest of the fabric in Ten Forward. I do not have a mounted table, I have two stooge tables instead. Sorry, no pics. I'm at work all my pictures are on my home PC. Maybe someone else will post pics.
Thanks Donna. Still can't figure out what they are. Yep, need photos, from someone at some point.

And now I have to ask, what is a "stooge table". Google search will give you lots of links to the 3 Stooges, but nothing about a table.

Boy, the more I learn on this forum, the more questions I have!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Okay, found some photos of a u-shaped dinette with the filler boards, in the thread for Planned Modifications for Blackjack. So, got that figured out.

But not the tables you're referencing.

While having all that lounge room would be nice for reading, I still need the table for crafting.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Stooge Tables.

Small folding tables (counter extensions) that are permanently attached to the wall. They are surface with the same formica as the counter, roughly 12"x12". I have one by the door which extends the counter next to the sink, folds down out of the way when not needed. Donna has those in the area of the dinette in lieu of the regular dinette table. Her's is setup as a lounge as opposed to a dinning area.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21
Here is a picture of one of the three flip up tables we added...the other two are in the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150508_122407735.jpg  
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Gotcha! I've just been calling 'em a flip-up counter/table. Didn't know they were called anything else. thanks for explaining that.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Where do you store the filler table if you have no dining table? Is your filler board there permantly with your cushion on top? Sounds like a great set up.
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
It is important to remember that different configurations in the dinette area can affect the table size. Be sure to confirm table size with ETI before committing to a configuration that may give you a table that is not satisfactory for how you want to use it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
Where do you store the filler table if you have no dining table? Is your filler board there permantly with your cushion on top? Sounds like a great set up.
I made a small filler, about 1' deep, just fits the 2 smaller U dinette cushions. It and the leg set I made for it so it doesn't flex, fit nicely under the rear dinette bench. We set it up for rainy days, otherwise the table is in place.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
I'd guess it's in place a good 75% of the time. I can store the filler board and cushion in the closet (up by loft). Or just pitch it up in the loft.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #12

My goodness, this is like building a house, except the house is many miles away...! Hope we can have the opportunity to see lots of 21's at the rally for ideas. Thanks for the info on the filler boards.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Hinged Table

Here is the Escape provided "filler board" that is included when you order the hinged table. This board is not an option but included as part of the table. It is only used when the table is converted into a bed, and really only needed when two people use the bed. We do not even carry it.

Not many people order the hinged table, I do not think it even shows on the option list.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

Now I have to ask: What is the hinged table? I've never seen a picture of it. Anyone have a photo they would like to share??
Old 05-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It is in the photos of a 21' on the ETI website.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
We have a 2 month old 21 with a u-shaped dinette, no table, one filler board and a stooge table (flip up) on each side. I have a roll-up table I'll use if I need one inside. Also have a pull-out faucet and a larger sink you asked about in another thread. I'm always intending to take picture but seldom do, so I have none at this time. We're in Seattle and are heading to the rally next Wednesday. Let me know if you'd like an in person look at the u-shaped, etc.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #17

OK, I get the 'hinged' table now, not an option I would choose. I would love to see your u-shaped dinette at the rally, Sylvia. I will look you up. Thanks!
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
It is in the photos of a 21' on the ETI website.
I saw those photos, but it never registered that was a hinged table. Thanks for that info.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
It never registered with me either, Laura, because I always wanted the U-shaped. By now, I have looked so many times at the photos and options and features and asked so many questions that I actually know what is there!

Anyone ordering the U dinette would want to keep the table to have at home if not using it, for the next owner or maybe even your own use some time. It will match the counters.

We are not getting filler boards, only the table, which we may not use as we will have two flip-ups (counter extensions which will also match the counters) at the dinette. We do not expect to want filler boards but some can always be made later. They don't need to match as they will be covered, and they can be made from many materials.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 AM   #20
Site Team

When I camp by myself, which is most of the time, the u-shape dinette is setup with the filler board and cushion in place. Then I have a comfortable lounge for reading and napping. While the board can be made at anytime, you'd probably want the cushion made of the same upholstery fabric as the rest of the trailer. YMMV