What do you do when it rains? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
What do you do when it rains?

August 13 to 16 we camped at Lightning Lake Provincial Park, in BC's Manning Park. We were joined on Saturday August 15 by our son and daughter and their children who planned to tent while we were using Ladybug, our little Escape 13. On Saturday afternoon before they had their tents up we had some heavy rain and the temperature fell to 10 deg. C. = 50 deg. F. (It had been 31 deg C. = 88 deg F. when we arrived on Thursday.) Here you will see how we waited for the rain to stop.
What do you do in similar circumstances when you are camping and it rains?
  • Go home?
  • Get in the car and drive?
  • Sit inside your trailer and play games?
More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_...57655035132444
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2092sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We have never 'gone home'. It sounds like a sane thing to do though.
We have, after hearing the forecast for the Oregon coast for the week ahead, 'got in the car and drive'. To the Okanagan. Well the valley that hwy 97 runs through, USA side and Canada side.
Normally, when we think it will pass in a day or two, we read books, make up lists of things we need to do, play games, put up a tarp outside and just go on like everything is normal. If it's not too cold sitting under a tarp with a coffee and watching the rain is quite relaxing and if there are kids splashing in the water even more fun.
Lightning lakes has showers so everybody can clean the muck off.
Back when we were tent camping we always carried a tarp about 50 by 30 feet in size.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Lots of times I am good with taking a nap. Next is take a scenic drive if the country lends itself to that. Next is go to town and check out a local attraction or two. Depending on location and time of day, go "out to eat" and enjoy someone else's cooking. Or bake some cookies in the toaster oven if hooked up. I am good with listening to the radio and reading a current magazine. Also and again if hooked up put a movie in the blue ray and watch tv. If we are within 50 miles of a Buffalo Wild Wings on a Saturday, go watch college
Football on one of 50 screens. If it's not too cold or too windy, set under the awning and watch the world go by. Then there's also the visit to my doctor Al K. Hall. I have put on the poncho and fished in the rain on many occasions. When we take the grandson he's got some toys along like Legos and stays pretty busy if were confined to quarters. I'm sure others have many additional activities that they use, tearing down and going home is a last resort and I can't remember the last time we did that.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
  • Sit inside your trailer and play games?
So, how long did the game of "let's see how long this bottle will balance on top of the other bottle?" last?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Also I forgot to say I really enjoyed all of the photos, the colors and composition reflect the great photographic talent you possess.
Dave
Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I sometimes go home if the rain proves to be long term and I'm close enough, off and on is no big deal. Tend to just hide inside and read or nap. I've also hit Red Box for a laptop movie.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Brian your photos are always amazing !.... When our kids were young they always loved that cosy feeling of being in the trailer when rainy - now in our fifteen we do too......rain does not send us home .....if it's not too windy with the rain it's often nice to just sit under they awning ( our side panels actually keep us dry ) ..... when we camp with our daughter/soninlaw and grandson we are now expected to sit in their monster pull out thingee for games or chatting ( often chatty games ).....
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
As a solo traveler and denizen of the PNW, I just put on my rain gear and forge ahead with whatever plans I had (usually omitting a packed lunch, however). Here are my son and three of my four granddaughters heading out...
Attached Thumbnails
Memorial Day 2013-016.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Usually, it's just me and my wife when we go camping. We find the solitude of being in the Escape, when it's too cold or wet when outside, very soothing and calming. The rhythmic sounds of the rain on the fiberglass has an almost hypnotic effect.

We play games, read, nap, plan other camping trips, get ideas for mods, even use the "free" time to update our advance directives on our computer. Sitting under the awning while it's raining has its own peaceful ambiance.

We've never considered it boring or even thought about going home. We sometimes congratulate ourselves that we were wise enough to own an Escape where we can relax in comfort. If it's not too nasty, don the rain-gear and talk a walk.

Great topic, Brian, and wonderful pics!

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My collection of Gore-Tex could outfit a small boy scout troop. I just put on the appropriate items and do whatever. I try to avoid being a lightening rod; but I can stay warm and dry under nearly any conditions.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
One of the things (the many things!) I'm looking forward to is sitting outside, under the awning while it's raining with a cup of hot coffee or a glass of wine OR a bottle of beer, hopefully by a river and enjoying the beauty of it all!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

We love the screen room, allows a bug free experience and still outside for sights, smells and sounds.
Didn't use it the first year, this summer last three times out in the last three weeks. Doubles "your" square footage, cuts down on dew on your stuff left outside, easy to put up and take down.
Dave
Old 08-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We love the screen room, allows a bug free experience and still outside for sights, smells and sounds.
Didn't use it the first year, this summer last three times out in the last three weeks. Doubles "your" square footage, cuts down on dew on your stuff left outside, easy to put up and take down.
Dave
Hi; Iowa Dave... We don't use our screen room enough either. It should allow you to drink in the sights, smells,& sounds of the rain!!! At the moment here in South Wet Ontario it's so dry that falling rain drops would crush the golden grass... but were going camping on the 29th so I expect it will rain then. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Thanks for all the great ideas. We used many of them:
  • We set up a 10' by 10' screened eating shelter and put it over the table outside and used it for one meal
  • My wife had packed lots of books, games and toys and this entertained the kids for quite a while inside
  • Our son took his wife and 1 1/2 year old son on a drive so that he could nap (that worked!)
  • We did our cooking outside on a small propane stove, which kept the moisture and cooking smells out of the trailer
  • We ran the furnace in the trailer so that it was nice and cosy inside -- the close quarters, rain on the roof and cold outside and closeness inside was enjoyed by everyone -- this was the all time favourite thing to do!

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I usually travel far to far from home to "quit & go home" on my trips, I live with the rain. If it is light, with little wind, I use the awning. If I'm going to be in a place more than a day or two, I carry a Caddis ARS 10X10 Easy Up like shelter that has three sides that velcro & zipper in place to keep out the wind, and a screen room that sets up in the Caddis to fight bugs.

While visiting Oregon during the "Pacific North Wet" season, I bought some rain gear that works well for venturing outside, but I'm also comfortable curling up on the bed (I have a permanent one in the rear of the 17B) and reading & listening to the radio.

Right now I'm in the middle of a thunderstorm that I'm glad to have - it cooled things down by 10°F!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Since we rarely just sit around in a campground when it's sunny, we usually don't do it when it rains. We try to identify the local indoor points of interest and do indoor activities. As a last resort, there is always a good book or the boob tube.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Your second and third choices are what we do when it rains. If it isn't too windy we also are outside under the awning. A pop-up shelter is also a great idea.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
- Sit, eat, drink, visit, light the fire bowl, all under the awning of the Escape. (note that the heat from the fire bowl is mostly dissipated before reaching the awning, so no danger there).

- Go sight seeing, hiking, shopping, or other activities. A few weeks ago while my wife and daughter sat in the hot springs in Banff on a rainy afternoon, I took a hike up and down Sulphur Mountain in the rain. Was a blast.

- In the evenings, watch a DVD movie in the trailer. We have the TV mounted in the rear of our 19', and if we lie "back to front" on the rear bed, there is room for four or five of us to relax and watch a movie. Only down side are the chips and food crumbs that get under the bed covers.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We sometimes go for a drive to check out the area or, if it's really crappy weather, Kathy does quilting and I work on some model railway projects. The reason for having a dinette at BOTH ends of our 19 .

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'm only happy when it rains.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote