What does this do? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When I put the larger access hatch in my 19, I put the hinges at the bottom, and it was much more convenient to use than when hinged on the top. On many trailers they swing to the side, which is not too bad either.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I can see the hatch setup Jim Bennett shows as working well enough. I had a bottom hinged hatch on a fold down tent trailer we owned. There was a chain which held it horizontal when open. Worked ok till I put too much weight on the door one time too many. Screw pulled out of the aluminum inner skin. Easy enough to fix and I learned my lesson. Don't put a 12 pack on the open lid. All three of the hatches on our 19 are top hinged and keyed alike. That's such a joy that it's good enough for me. Nice access to all storage from the outside. Packing for the Mississippi Rally this AM. Refrigerator ought to do real well, it's only going to be 61F here today, cloudy and windy. Fall is in the air.

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
If I remember correctly, the one on the demo unit would snap shut if positioned anywhere other than fully open as in the picture. I guess that's an improvement since you can leave it open while you open the hatch and then snap it to the hatch.
Nice - that is an improvement

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote