What Grill do you use .... using your low pressure quick connect? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
What Grill do you use .... using your low pressure quick connect?

Lets here what we use to grill.... what grill, how close to you escape and how do you hook up with the quick connect? What modification or lack of modifications?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180. Only mod was changing out the regulator (supplied by Dickinson).
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Weber Q, needs to be modified for low pressure. Here's a video of the process using their kit, I passed on the kit and found the parts I needed at the hardware store. There are a bunch of videos on the subject, pretty simple.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Broil King Porta-Chef, an old one equivalent to the current Porta-Chef 100
I use most of the length of my 3.6 m (12 foot) hose.

Conversion of the Porta-Chef grill is trivial - just change the hose, with no unusual parts or change to the control.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have been using the Dickinson Spitrire 180 for 5 years now, and it is working as good as it ever has. It is a quality build that will likely go on for at leaat 5 years more. It has cooked many a meal. It also has been used as an oven a lot too. Easy to convert to LP by removing the regulated gas control for one they supply that is a gas valve only. I carry the other just in case, though only once did I convert it for a tailgate party.

Not as pretty as Robert's anymore though, having not developed a lovely patina. Why do they call it "stainless"?

Here is my first review/assessment of it from 2012.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...-bbq-1751.html

Lots of good choices out there. I do like that the Napoleon TravelQ 285 has dual burners, something you can make use of once in a while.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not as pretty as Robert's anymore though, having now developed a lovely patina.
Well, that photo was from March of 2015. I'm afraid we have also joined the "lovely patina" club.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Lets here what we use to grill.... what grill, how close to you escape and how do you hook up with the quick connect? What modification or lack of modifications?

We use a Weber Q1000 which conveniently fits in front storage box of our 5.0 TA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have also been using the Dickinson Marine Spitfire 180 grill since April 2013. Switched it over to use with low pressure quick connect on the Escape. Originally had all kinds of issues trying to get the grill to heat up to proper temperatures. Eventually had Dickinson send me a replacement orifice (?) with a larger opening, and have had no issues with inadequate heat since then. I do find that the low pressure valve provided by Dickinson is not terribly effective at controlling the propane flow, so flame height control is sometimes challenging. Mostly happy with it. If it were slightly smaller and would fit into the front storage box, I would be quite happy. As it is, I must transport it either on the floor under the table or in the back of the FJ.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Because we have twin 20# tanks on the front end of our 17'b we've never seen the need for the $160.00 optional "guick connect". We use the 1st tank for hot water and the fridge and connect one of these to the 2nd tank for BBQ, stoves etc.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...SABEgKE9_D_BwE

We've never had to modify our regulator, or change a thing. The hose can remain coiled on, or around the 2nd tank and the tank can remain on the tongue of the trailer beside the 1st tank.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Because we have twin 20# tanks on the front end of our 17'b we've never seen the need for the $160.00 optional "guick connect". We use one tank for hot water and the fridge and connect one of these to the second tank for BBQ, stoves etc. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...SABEgKE9_D_BwE We've never had to modify our regulator, or change a thing. The hose can remain coiled on the tank until a camp site is picked out.
but then you lose the "changeover valve" functionality, correct?

plus you have to lug a tank around...

but it is cool to have choices.

I guess i'm just lazy

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post

I guess i'm just lazy
There is a difference from desiring convenience and being lazy, though I can do both well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
but then you lose the "changeover valve" functionality, correct?

plus you have to lug a tank around...

but it is cool to have choices.

I guess i'm just lazy

You don't have to lug around a tank! The tank is already on the tongue, where it remains and stays even while you're BBQing.
We found that one 20# tank will last us 3 weeks worth of refrigerator use. So..we've never used the changeover valve yet!

There are 2 tanks on the tongue, where they both remain. One tank is hooked up to the BBQ, with an after market hose, and the other stays hooked up to the trailer, to service the hot water and fridge. No lugging, no modifying, no $160.00 option. It's quick!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have no hoses to coil. I just park the 10 lb propane tank next to my Napoleon two-burner BBQ, wherever I've determined the kitchen to be. I have two butane single burners to complete my cooking options.
I had the Dickinson Spitfire, but couldn't control the heat, even after they sent me a new regulator, so I replaced it with the Napoleon.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
You don't have to lug around a tank! The tank is already on the tongue, where it remains and stays even while you're BBQing.
We found that one 20# tank will last us 3 weeks worth of refrigerator use. So..we've never used the changeover valve yet!

There are 2 tanks on the tongue, where they both remain. One tank is hooked up to the BBQ, with an after market hose, and the other stays hooked up to the trailer, to service the hot water and fridge. No lugging, no modifying, no $160.00 option. It's quick!
You knock the LP QC setup, but have you actually tried using it?

Having used methods like yours for 20 years, then using the LP setup the last 8, I can definitely say I very much prefer the latter. Both work which is the main thing.

$160 on a $40,000+ trailer is peanuts. It just comes down to what folks prefer. I have no interest in a backup camera on the rear of the trailer, but many are happy to pay the $450 for one, which is just fine if it is what they want and need. I worked hard for my money (and foolishly still am), so I want to make sure I get to use most of it up.

Your method would be no quicker at all, that is one of the benefits of plug and play propane. For me though, it has nothing to do with the speed, just the convenience of using any two of my three appliances at a time, and use them a good distance from the trailer. I can use a single appliance almost 30' from the outlet taking no more time than clicking together 3 connections and setting said appliance in place.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Convenience

Quote:

Having used methods like yours for 20 years, then using the LP setup the last 8, I can definitely say I very much prefer the latter. Both work which is the main thing.

$160 on a $40,000+ trailer is peanuts. It just comes down to what folks prefer. I have no interest in a backup camera on the rear of the trailer, but many are happy to pay the $450 for one, which is just fine if it is what they want and need. I worked hard for my money (and foolishly still am), so I want to make sure I get to use most of it up.

Your method would be no quicker at all, that is one of the benefits of plug and play propane. For me though, it has nothing to do with the speed, just the convenience of using any two of my three appliances at a time, and use them a good distance from the trailer. I can use a single appliance almost 30' from the outlet taking no more time than clicking together 3 connections and setting said appliance in place.
Hi Jim:
Like you I am all about being comfortable while camping. Comfortable = Convenient to me. And like many I bring along more than I need including a spare smaller tank (11 lb.) and use the quick connect at times, switch back forth from regulator to no regulator, and take my campfire and tank well away from the camper etc. etc. I have a personal motto when it comes to what is doable while camping. "I can't be stopped"' an it's part of living the motto from Boy Scouts "Be Prepared". I am reminded of the old Eddy Howard standard "To each his own". It applies to camping too.
Dave
Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim:
Like you I am all about being comfortable while camping. Comfortable = Convenient to me. And like many I bring along more than I need including a spare smaller tank (11 lb.) and use the quick connect at times, switch back forth from regulator to no regulator, and take my campfire and tank well away from the camper etc. etc. I have a personal motto when it comes to what is doable while camping. "I can't be stopped"' an it's part of living the motto from Boy Scouts "Be Prepared". I am reminded of the old Eddy Howard standard "To each his own". It applies to camping too.
Dave
So then, what I hear you saying is that you are wishy washy! Or maybe an opportunist.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
So then, what I hear you saying is that you are wishy washy! Or maybe an opportunist.
Watch it now young feller...Dave has shirts older than you.[emoji1]
Old 09-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Opportunist, I'll drink your whisky ( thank you) or go back to my rig and drink my own, or hitch a ride to town where I can buy some or distill my own with a little copper tubing, some sugar, corn, a mason jar and a Coleman stove. When I wanna get loopy "I can't be stopped". But my way ain't the only way. "To each his own".
Iowa Dave
Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #19

Class of 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Watch it now young feller...Dave has shirts older than you.[emoji1]
Well maybe not any shirts but my leather sleeved high school jacket from Cedar Rapids Thomas Jefferson Class of 1966. ( the glory years) still hangs in the closet. No it don't fit anymore, shoulders got too small when I worked in the grey iron foundry, 😜
Dave
Old 09-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #20

Quote:

No, I've not tried the $160.00 option mainly because I don't see the difference in hooking up to a "fast connect" and hooking up to a hose. Both methods work, I don't believe it's a race to see which one is quicker. I believe if BBQing at a greater distance is ever necessary, a longer hose could be acquired to add to either system. I'm not sure how the the convenience of using any or all three of your appliances is or can be impeded by either method.
$160.00 is peanuts to a $40,000.00 trailer (to you maybe) but it's still $160.00.