What is this toggle switch for? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
What is this toggle switch for?

Anyone know what this toggle switch is for? It's mounted under the driver-side dinette seat just above and behind the water pump. We have the tank heat pad option. Could it be for that? It's been switched on since we took position. I guess I can always shut it off and see what doesn't work. Or start pulling fuses and see which one sends power to the switch and what that fuse is ID'ed to control. Still waiting to hear from ETI about what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09186.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Anyone know what this toggle switch is for? It's mounted under the driver-side dinette seat just above and behind the water pump. We have the tank heat pad option. Could it be for that? It's been switched on since we took position. I guess I can always shut it off and see what doesn't work. Or start pulling fuses and see which one sends power to the switch and what that fuse is ID'ed to control. Still waiting to hear from ETI about what it is.
I suspect it's the battery shut-off switch.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Dale that's about the same location as my heated holding tank switch, that's my bet.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That was where my tank pad heater switch was located, you may want to turn it off to save your battery and also install a led indicator lamp.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Thanks, all. Since the battery cut-off switch is mounted on the front of the bench seat panel and clearly marked as such, I suspect this one is indeed the heat pad switch. Being switched on for at least the past 4 days, that might account for why my battery was down a bit after heavy cloud cover and rain all day yesterday. But we had a full day of sunshine today. Anyway, I went ahead and turned it off tonight. I think I'll pull the 20 amp fuse marked "Heat Pads" tomorrow and see if that cuts power to the switch. I like the idea of installing an LED indicator - probably red for this one. Thanks again....
Old 02-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We have the heat pad option and that's where our switch is. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Since we're sort of touching on the battery switch ..... is it supposed to isolate everything from the battery? Discovered today that with battery switch off my tongue jack and solar controller still work. Deciding if that is good or bad. Sort of liked the thought of the tongue jack not working if the battery is off - perhaps an additional theft inconvenience if it is extended although I suppose it would also result in more damage too.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Since we're sort of touching on the battery switch ..... is it supposed to isolate everything from the battery? Discovered today that with battery switch off my tongue jack and solar controller still work...
My understanding is that is supposed to be a storage switch, not a complete shutdown to allow safe work on the electrical system; as such, there are some things which could logically be connected so that they are not isolated from the battery by this switch. Exactly what is on which side of the switch appears to depend on year and model, but in general any circuit from the DC distribution panel in the power centre will be isolated.

Having the solar charge controller output connected on the battery side of the switch means that your solar system can keep your battery charged during storage, which seems like a good thing to me. Items which do not draw any power when not in use and will not be accidentally left running (examples: the brake system's breakaway switch... and the tongue jack) seem like reasonable candidates to bypass the isolation switch.

The switch is sized for the current which can be handled by the DC distribution panel in the power centre; it is not suitable for handling the high current needed by the optional 1500 watt inverter, so the inverter is not isolated by this switch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Thank you BRian - makes sense!!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #10

Reace just confirmed that the toggle switch under our driver side bench seat is for the holding tank heat pads. He apologized - it should have been labeled but was not, it should have been turned off before shipping but was not. On the plus side, he reminded me that the pads also incorporate a thermostatic switch, so no electrical power is consumed even with the switch turned "ON" unless it turns cold. I think I knew that, but forgot, so it was a welcome reminder. Rease was as puzzled by the randomly glowing taillight LED emitters as the rest of us. I'll keep him posted on those....
Old 02-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The main battery switch turns everything off inside the trailer, except for the solar hookup. Your power jack, being outside has it's own off/on switch.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Reace just confirmed that the toggle switch under our driver side bench seat is for the holding tank heat pads. He apologized - it should have been labeled but was not, it should have been turned off before shipping but was not. On the plus side, he reminded me that the pads also incorporate a thermostatic switch, so no electrical power is consumed even with the switch turned "ON" unless it turns cold. I think I knew that, but forgot, so it was a welcome reminder. Rease was as puzzled by the randomly glowing taillight LED emitters as the rest of us. I'll keep him posted on those....
Good to know. At least you got an "on" and "off" labels. We didn't get that. I need to print some out.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote