What We've Learned So Far - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
What We've Learned So Far

After 330 nights on the road in our Escape 21, I sat down on a drizzly day on the Yellowstone River and wrote about everything I could think of that we've learned since we picked up our Escape 19 months ago.

What started off as a small project soon morphed into a tome that is much longer than I expected. If it can be of any help to good people considering purchasing an Escape trailer, or those who are considering items for their build lists, then I'd be happy.

Here's a link to what I wrote: http://bit.ly/2btHj6K

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Nice write up, Jeff. Very helpful tips for consideration and most apply across all models.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
After 330 nights on the road in our Escape 21, I sat down on a drizzly day on the Yellowstone River and wrote about everything I could think of that we've learned since we picked up our Escape 19 months ago.

What started off as a small project soon morphed into a tome that is much longer than I expected. If it can be of any help to good people considering purchasing an Escape trailer, or those who are considering items for their build lists, then I'd be happy.

Thanks, Jeff
Hi: Jeff and Karen... Great travel Doc!!! I was left hanging along with "Bike's Friday". I expect there'll be more when the next weather report says 100% chance of "Weather". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Thanks for the write up, some excellent points.

Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thanks for the write up Jeff. I found that we have many of the same options, and for the same reasons. That's what's so cool about Escapes. I don't know of another trailer maker in this price range where there are so many customization options, and a manufacturer that goes the extra mile to please the customer.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Would love to read it, I'm sure there's some good information there, but my I-pad woun't let me . When I open it it just comes out as a bunch of gob blitz-gook. Any one have any ideas?
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I looks like it's a Word doc (.docx) Do you have a Word viewer installed?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Would love to read it, I'm sure there's some good information there, but my I-pad woun't let me . When I open it it just comes out as a bunch of gob blitz-gook. Any one have any ideas?
The document is a Microsoft Word document, stored in Dropbox. The Dropbox web server provides a viewer for the browser (written in Javascript) which works fine on my computer, but is probably providing the iPad with something that an iPad (or your iPad specifically) can't display.

If you can see a "Download" button, you can use it (and a Dropbox or Google account) to download a copy of the file... then you need a viewer which can display a Word document (maybe the iPad has one), or a web-based version of Word (which Microsoft offers). Google Docs can handle word documents, too, so putting it in your Google Drive (if you have one set up) can be a solution.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I was able to read it on my iPad (download it into the Safari browser). I also was able to save it to the Pages app, but I think there was also an option to open it as a PDF in iBooks.

Good luck. It's worth the read. Several good suggestions, at least pertinent to our situation. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #10
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
What a great summary. Thank you.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Thanks for doing this!!!

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I thought I was the only person who could not get the locking ring on the power cord to thread correctly.

Bill
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I thought I was the only person who could not get the locking ring on the power cord to thread correctly.

Bill
That makes at least 3 of us, Bill !

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Me too. I thought I had cross threaded the locking ring somehow after pickup. I don't even bother trying to screw it in now.... just turn the plug to the right to lock into place. Seems to work ok. Also thanks for writing all this up. We've had many of the same thoughts and experiences.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Same here on the locking ring. The ring distorts and the threads are so fine that they are easily cross threaded. So I just do like the others and don't bother with it. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Jeff's review was excellant and should help any undecided potential buyer to make a decision. With that many nights in the trailer he is speaking from experience. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post

Thanks, Jeff
Thanks for the writeup. Nicely done. You mention a simple human trash can to fit between the bed and the drawer stack. Can you provide a link to the one that fits? We don't have our trailer yet so I can't measure the distance.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Thank you for sharing your real world experiences. Which model of the Vornado are you using ?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
You mention a simple human trash can to fit between the bed and the drawer stack. Can you provide a link to the one that fits? We don't have our trailer yet so I can't measure the distance.
9", measured on the 2017 model at ETI last month. Included in my huge photo and text write up on said trailer. Could not tell ya which page it's on though.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...iler-8286.html

Do you have a Container Store near you Stephen? We do and I plan to hit them to find stuff for The Trailer. I know they have quite the selection of trash cans and one might fit in that area.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
9", measured on the 2017 model at ETI last month. Included in my huge photo and text write up on said trailer. Could not tell ya which page it's on though.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...iler-8286.html

Do you have a Container Store near you Stephen? We do and I plan to hit them to find stuff for The Trailer. I know they have quite the selection of trash cans and one might fit in that area.
Thanks, Laura, I thought I remembered somebody saying 9 inches. Must have been you!
There is one north of us in Michigan and another on the way. Might have to stop by and take a look.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #20

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Thanks, Laura, I thought I remembered somebody saying 9 inches.
What, you don't remember every single thing I posted and commit it to your memory? Jeez. I'm so disappointed in you right now. I just might have to yank that free drink(s) I offered for letting the forum know about the opening for the trailer last December that we snagged.

Oh wait, that offer's still good. It supersedes just about anything you could say or do to me. There's a few exceptions, but I don't want to start giving you any ideas.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote