What would you change..... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #21

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Re: What would you change.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
We had a previous trailer (Casita) without the thermal package...and it's a world of difference!

I would second that. The thermal package makes a huge difference. When our previous trailer, a 2005 17B, was built the thermal package wasn't offered. We find our new 5.0 a lot cozier and the windows don't sweat, even in pouring rain. A couple of times in the 17B we woke up to ice on the inside of the windows. We camped in Bend, Oregon this spring in the 5.0 and we had temps of -3 at night with snow and by noon we were in shorts and t-shirts and I never wiped condensation from the windows once! It's an expensive option but well worth the money.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I think I figured out my first change I would make with my new Escape 19' , shorten the upright front dinette cushions maybe 4". That way the back will fit flush against the back vs having the round corner in the front push them out. Anyone have a fix, velcro or shorten the cushion?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Only thing I'd change!
I added full extension drawers for storage....if I was to get another one, I'd have them build them in.
[/quote]
Hoakie, where did you add the full extension drawers in your 5.0? And you feel like additional drawers were really needed?
[/quote]
I built them myself....if I was ordering from the factory, I'd see if they could do it from the get go!
The only drawers on mine, were by the stove/sink. And yes, we can pack the drawers full, and get to stuff. Before, they were shelves that: 1- couldn't hold much 2- you couldn't get to it.
Of course, it does add some weight...both in the weight of the drawers, and the extra clothes, etc. that you can put in them.
Attached Thumbnails
drawers.jpg  
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

We went heavy on the options: extra insulation, thermal tinted windows, TV arm, digital antenna, AC, solar, outside shower, stereo/DVD, dual propane, dual 6V batteries, bike rack ready etc. The only thing I would not add in hind-sight is the digital antenna. We never use it. The one thing we did not get, because it was not available yet, was the front storage box. We went back to the factory this summer to have one added, and we just love it. I highly recommend this. We are glad we went with the options we did, especially solar. The TV arm is already outdated, unless I find a way for it to hold my I-pad to watch downloaded movies when it rains! We only needed to use AC once in Sacramento last summer, but we sure were glad to have it!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #25
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevin
We went heavy on the options: extra insulation, thermal tinted windows, TV arm, digital antenna, AC, solar, outside shower, stereo/DVD, dual propane, dual 6V batteries, bike rack ready etc. The only thing I would not add in hind-sight is the digital antenna. We never use it. The one thing we did not get, because it was not available yet, was the front storage box. We went back to the factory this summer to have one added, and we just love it. I highly recommend this. We are glad we went with the options we did, especially solar. The TV arm is already outdated, unless I find a way for it to hold my I-pad to watch downloaded movies when it rains! We only needed to use AC once in Sacramento last summer, but we sure were glad to have it!
Can you elaborate? I didn't know they would ever be outdated. What does the new models have vs. what you have?

The bank of drawers is something that I'm having Reace build. Thanks a bunch Hoakie for that little tip and suggestion!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #26

Hi JCZ,
This is HOKIE (without the "a")....you will enjoy the drawer space as opposed to the shelves.
I think what he means when he says "outdated" is, like us, we don't use the TV anymore, but will either watch DVD's on our laptop, or as he said, movies or shows we have downloaded to our iPad. The TV arm itself will attach to the back of any flatscreen TV, but we just don't use it anymore. I would still get the wiring for cable, just for future possible use with a portable satelite...but we don't watch TV when we are out. Maybe we will if/when we retire and get out a little more...but if so, it'll be satelite, and we can add a TV to the arm again.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

Exactly, the arm holds the TV that we mainly bought to play DVDs for the kids when the weather is bad. Instead of DVDs we now Download movies onto I-pads or laptops. The arm is not outdated, we just rarely play DVDs anymore.

Dave
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevin
Exactly, the arm holds the TV that we mainly bought to play DVDs for the kids when the weather is bad. Instead of DVDs we now Download movies onto I-pads or laptops. The arm is not outdated, we just rarely play DVDs anymore.

Dave
I can relate.....I've been accused of being out dated, too.

No kids to worry about here....except the grandkids will fly out one at a time (where ever we might be) for a week or so in the summer. I'm sure we'll keep them occupied with outdoor things, museums, sight seeing, 4 wheeling, etc.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #29

One other thing I'd order if it had been available....the outside signal lights over the back window. We often travel with bikes, and they tend to block the signal lights.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
One other thing I'd order if it had been available....the outside signal lights over the back window. We often travel with bikes, and they tend to block the signal lights.
Hokie am I correct in assuming that means the brake lights as well as the turn signal lights?

Another member of this forum, Sondra, showed us her Escape last night. She had the lights mounted up high as well. I just assumed they were run/brake/turn.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #31

The second set of lights duplicate the first set, tail, turn,brake, flasher.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Better Table System

I take the dinette table up and down frequently. On a 19, the two steel pipes, a heavy table and a pretty precise alignment make this a two person job. If one person does it they have to be very careful when lifting the weight over the pipes. Looks like a back injury waiting to happen.

I have seen on another forum someone had designed a multi-hinged table that was easy for one person to operate.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

We had the front dinette table in our 19 set up the same as the one in the rear of the 17B. Very easy for one person to put up and take down. Don't know if this could be a retro-fit, however. Better ask Reace.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #34

Just picked our 19" up. Sweet rig!

We had them add spotlights front and rear for reading. The one over the dinette in front can be pointed out the window and used to light the bed of my pickup. Also the LED lights (10 LEDs each) are too bright. Dave found some old 5 LED bulbs and we bought them for the sides LEDs on the interior. No we have 10 LED bulbs along the center and 5 LED bulbs along the sides. Allows a little variation in light intensity.

I'll probably buy one of the hot water heater switches with the green LED showing it is on.

I also intend to put closed cell foam strip on the box up front.

The grab bar for the door is too high for elderly people. we are going to investigate opetion.

.john

schmucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B

Congratulations on the new Escape schmucko.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #36

This was our second summer with our 17b. We camped in Sacramento in early July with the temp at or near 100F and the Maxx fan kept the unit liveable.

The things that I would change from the factory are:
1. a see-thru window at the door,
2. an interior switch for the exterior porch light,
3. longer scissor jacks on the corners (with the high-lift axle I have to carry a lot of wood in the front box).

All said, we are still extremely pleased with the unit.

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
The only thing I would change on our 17B is to have the rear window open, for the extra ventilation in hot weather. Actually it would be cool if the front window opened too! Love the breeze!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The front window on the 2008 17B does open. After 2008 Reace could no longer get that window and rock cover combo from the manufacturer.
As for the back window, you don't want that one to open because it needs to be tightly sealed. The backdraft, driving down the highway at 60 mph in a rainstorm would drive a lot of water, dust ( mud ) into the trailer, even when closed.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Aha, thanks for the info.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #40

Yes, the extra vertical set duplicate the original horizontal set, tail or parking/brake/turn