What would you have done? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Threatening someone's life is a very serious thing to do, even if he was the local harmless drunk, a stranger in that place would have no idea who he was. Anyone who threatens someone's life potentially risks there own. I would handle it much like you did if I was Alone without my family, but if they were with me it would have ended a little differently. I would not take kindly to threats while my Wife and Son are with me.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
Threatening someone's life is a very serious thing to do, even if he was the local harmless drunk, a stranger in that place would have no idea who he was. Anyone who threatens someone's life potentially risks there own. I would handle it much like you did if I was Alone without my family, but if they were with me it would have ended a little differently. I would not take kindly to threats while my Wife and Son are with me.

Hi Emile,

Thank you for the comments and everyone else too. I have had some time to think now about what happened and have come to the conclusion that it ended in the best of possible outcomes. For those who have asked .... yes the police did come and interview me as well as the waitresses. I did request to press charges and the police called me back the next day (or someone with a "restricted " phone number called... I missed the call and they left no phone message. The police are pretty busy in my small town. I did not pursue any further because I realized that it would come down to my word against his .... I don't think any one heard his threats because of the level of back ground noise.

Have decided that my energy would be better spent thinking about how to avoid getting into this predicament in the first place.... primarily and secondarily a little bit about what I should do if it would happen again. That's a harder question.

I haven't gotten my trailer yet (they start building on Monday the 21st) but my intention is to take it boon docking this winter.... and probably frequently by myself. I'm single.

I'd like to ask a personal question of everyone who would care to voice their opinion .... haven't seen many or any discussions on this subject...

If you are going camping where they may not be a lot of other people around for group protection .... Do you take a weapon with you? If so what kind?

Really hope a question like this does NOT scare anyone.

Tom
Old 09-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Boy o'boy, you really want to open up that can of worms Such topics can get pretty crazy cuz both sides of that topic tend to have pretty strong views. The last time it came up on here it needed a bit of gentle guiding from Jim to keep it on track and it ended with the discussion fading away without a moderator having to shut it down.

Too bad you didn't see my trailer and its' "long object" storage area when I was in Juneau in June. That would have answered some of your question.

Ron
Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Emile,
You must be back from your hunting trip. How was your trailer? Got any good stories?

Tom
Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sometimes I carry one but I have a dog with a big bark and most of the time I feel pretty safe and so that's all I need. But being a single woman I tend to be careful about where I camp
Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Have thought about on the road self preservation myself a little, because though these kinds of personal threats may be as random as a lightning strike, you never know. My conclusion is the least I could do or should do is try to even the odds a little bit.

Not a gun guy either. I keep a 26 inch long, half-inch thick sharpened re-bar in the car between the seat and the center console. I usually forget to bring it into the trailer with me.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Emile,

If you are going camping where they may not be a lot of other people around for group protection .... Do you take a weapon with you? If so what kind?

Really hope a question like this does NOT scare anyone.

Tom
The wife and I both "pack". That said , you must be very careful because laws vary so much state to state. Canada is an absolute no, so don't bring for pickup. Our son is a cop and bought us CC class for Christmas. He sees all the worst and encouraged us to protect our selves.

The hope is like insurance, you never have to use it. I agree this is a hornet's nest to even talk about. We carry small pocket pistols in 380. They don't have a lot of firepower, but our viewpoint is having something is way better than a big one you leave at home.

When on the Greenbriar bike trail last summer, we were often out in the middle of nowhere. I felt much better with the carry. West Virginia state parks allow. But many don't. Ohio is a CC stars but Pa is not. So it is something you must pay close attention to.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #28

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
would have done

As I age, I don't want to make a mistake that could be fatal to someone. I usually have a gun available when traveling but my first choice is my tasor that starts by putting a red dot on someone as a lasor sight will. A cop friend was traveling across country on his motorcycle when late at night someone else was admiring his bike that was outside of the motel room. He of course was carrying but all he had to do was put his red dot on the person and he was gone. Nancy and I both have permits but we are very careful and aware of our surroundings. Once when my motorcycle broke I took Nancy's home, an hour or 2 to get the trailer. She stayed with the broken bike and had a pistol in the open on the seat, the only person that stopped was a cop and he wanted to know if she needed help and went on his way.
Jack
Old 09-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Not sayin if I do, not sayin if I don't.....
Old 09-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post

Canada is an absolute no, so don't bring for pickup.

The hope is like insurance, you never have to use it.
Only two comments; Canada's laws are much stricter for handheld objects but for longer ones there's really not a problem. So if Tom does his homework and has a hunting license there wouldn't be any problem passing through Canada.

In the reverse situation, after reading a lot of information about a non-resident alien doing the same in the US I'd pretty much given up hope. Even a relative who's a police chief in a US city said he'd have to arrest me if he knew I had one of those objects with me Then I discovered the folks in the Bureau of ATF are pretty easy to deal with and now, me the alien , can legally take such objects to Alaska and the lower 48.

Secondly; as others have said, it's like an insurance policy, good to have and hope you never have to use.

Ron
Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Need a clarification: If I have a hunting license issued by my state when I show it at the Canadian border I am allowed to carry in my rifle?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Need a clarification: If I have a hunting license issued by my state when I show it at the Canadian border I am allowed to carry in my rifle?
I don't think the hunting license matters. Non-assault type hunting rifles appear to be generally ok - see:
Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Classes of firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Old 09-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #33

Sort of the opposite situation. You'd need a hunting license for the province you were entering. US hunters come to Canada in large numbers. The catch is that non-resident licenses are fairly expensive. Don't know what the most inexpensive one is.

I was happy to see Alaska's accommodating attitude. They clearly say, for non-residents, if the primary purpose of obtaining a hunting license is to be legally in possession of... then a non-resident small game license is the easiest way... It was only a few dollars. Nice of them to make it clear and easy for us aliens.

Ron
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #34

Didn't see the previous post before I posted. Glad to see that purchasing an expensive non-resident license isn't required. The $25 fee is about the same as the Alaska license so that seem fair.

Ron
Old 09-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Not that I'm knowledgeable about carry laws, but I would be surprised if any state permitted you to carry a gun in a bar and consume alcohol.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
This is not meant as a criticism in any way - just an observation. I've learned a ton of things reading this forum. One of those things is that any thread that discusses firearms usually goes south fast. I try to avoid the subject, not because I don't have an opinion, but because the issue just seems too volatile. Focusing on what we all have in common - Escape trailers, road trips, camping, food, equipment, photos, and so forth, works for me.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #37

I haven't been in a bar in over twenty years, so I wouldn't be in the presence of a lot of drunk people. The only time a firearm should be drawn is when your life is in imminent life threatening danger! The second to last thing I want is to harm anyone, but the last thing I want is any harm to come to my family. Unlike a lot of people these days human life is precious to me, any human life! But I will make that decision (although a very hard decision) to protect a loved one. The first thing from me would be peaceful words if time allows to diffuse the situation,after that all bets are off!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Emile,
You must be back from your hunting trip. How was your trailer? Got any good stories?

Tom
I haven't left yet, I'm off in a couple weeks. Two weeks alone in the woods sitting 20ft up a tree with no noise,people or cars. Nothing but the wind rustling through the leaves and me snoring safety tethered to my tree!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This is not meant as a criticism in any way - just an observation. I've learned a ton of things reading this forum. One of those things is that any thread that discusses firearms usually goes south fast. I try to avoid the subject, not because I don't have an opinion, but because the issue just seems too volatile. Focusing on what we all have in common - Escape trailers, road trips, camping, food, equipment, photos, and so forth, works for me.
I 100% agree, This is a topic that will polarize a community like this really fast, and only bring about bad feelings. I too have my own opinions, but will keep them to myself.

Not to belittle what happened to Tom at all, it obviously it rattled him a lot.

We have had these discussions at FGRV a bunch too, with many of them getting closed down. One I was able to keep fairly civilized, but it took way too much of my interjecting for my liking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
A can of hornet spray is almost as good as a can of R.D. Mercers's whup ass.

We live in the boonies and my wife keeps a can by the front door for surprise visitors. Works on hornets as well.
Closed Thread