What would you have done? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Civil conversation so far.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have had these discussions at FGRV a bunch too, with many of them getting closed down. One I was able to keep fairly civilized, but it took way too much of my interjecting for my liking.
Yup, that was the one I was referring to. I was holding my breath from beginning to end hoping it wouldn't spin out of control as those threads usually do. Great moderating

Normally I don't make too many comments, I have my views and I know how sensitive the subject is. But Tom, seeing as though he has to transit Canada to get to Alaska is sort of in a different situation. So I think Tom now knows that, if he chooses to carry a firearm with him, doesn't have to be hampered by Canada being a foreign country.

So, on this topic, let's quit while we're ahead. Jim needs all his mental energy to work on his build sheet.

Ron
Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
But Tom, seeing as though he has to transit Canada to get to Alaska is sort of in a different situation. So I think Tom now knows that, if he chooses to carry a firearm with him, doesn't have to be hampered by Canada being a foreign country.
I do think information like this is good, valid and worthy of discussion. The problem is, it always drifts to being about the right to carry vs those not comfortable with it, and like you have seen, lots of bad feelings ensue. Much like talking religion, politics, or tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Jim needs all his mental energy to work on his build sheet.
You know it. I have already spent many hours planning, researching and searching, more on the end of how I will customize than options from Escape. Having fun with it so far, I hope it stays that way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
The problem with discussions like this isn't ones opinion, it's another's response to that opinion! We should all be comfortable with expressing our opinions and except another's opinion if it differs from ours. One should except others and others should except the first.

But this is just my opinion!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Absolutely. On these sensitive topics I recognize that not everyone is going to agree with my opinion. And even though I know that I am in the right and they are wrong, I try not to make things escalate by disagreeing too much.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 09-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Lololololololol!!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Absolutely. On these sensitive topics I recognize that not everyone is going to agree with my opinion. And even though I know that I am in the right and they are wrong, I try not to make things escalate by disagreeing too much.
Oh yeah, you wanna take this outside?

You aren't packing heat though, are you?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Aren't we done?
Old 09-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
More to the point... Bushmills

(Make mine neat.)
Attached Thumbnails
JuneauBAR1a.jpg  
Old 09-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
... my first choice is my tasor that starts by putting a red dot on someone as a lasor sight will. A cop friend was traveling across country on his motorcycle when late at night someone else was admiring his bike that was outside of the motel room. He of course was carrying but all he had to do was put his red dot on the person and he was gone.
If I understand this correctly, a law enforcement officer used a weapon while off-duty to threaten a person who was not posing any kind of threat to any other person. I don't want this sort of cop anywhere near me - on-duty or off, in a campground or city street or anywhere.

I can't imagine anything about an Escape trailer which would increase the chance that a threat of violence will occur, so I believe that this not an Escape topic... but the forum does accommodate discussion of topics of common interest, which could be anything about camping.

The chance of a threat of violent attack while camping seems extraordinarily slim. I find it difficult to find a reason to be concerned about personal protection, let alone seriously consider an armed response to it... so I don't see armed personal protection as a camping topic, either. The original subject of this topic was not a camping scenario, but I don't have an issue with that.

Finally, to reduce the chance of anyone getting in trouble at a border crossing, I'll note that legally transporting a rifle in Canada for the purpose of traveling to a hunting location is very different from having a rifle readily available to be used for defense in an emergency. Please don't misinterpret "hunters can have rifles with them" as "build a gun rack beside the bed of your Escape and keep a loaded weapon in it"

Also for the border-crossing issue... if you carry a weapon for defense, but tell the Border Services Officer that you are carrying it to hunt, you are lying and should be refused entry to the country. If what you are doing is legal (related to weapons or anything else), you do not need to conceal or what you are doing.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
You didn't mention if Lee seemed inebriated or continued his behavior with anyone else after he left your table.

I wouldn't be "paranoid" over this isolated incident. Beer muscles often deflate once the buzz is over.

Heighten your awareness, yes...but to change your "ways"....no way. Go back and sit at the same table, order a beer and food.....browse your phone..and enjoy! Unless Lee has a barstool with his name on it....you probably won't ever see him again. And if you do...chances are he won't remember you.
Closed Thread