Wheel Bearing Service Interval - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
Trailer: No more Escape 21
Re: Wheel Bearing Service Interval

Sounds to me like the bearing manufacturers and RV dealers are in cahoots with each other

I was looking in the Dexter manual to verify the type of grease recommended. Directly across the page was instructions on installing a seal. The second instruction was:

"Apply a PERMATEX sealant to the outside of the new seal." And Permatex was in caps. Never heard of putting Permatex on the seal. A note did state not to use Permatex on rubber encased seals.

2008 Toyota Highlander
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Rick , The way to foil there master plan is to do regular maintenance on the wheel bearing.If we all did they would go broke. Timken Bearings will last over 20 years if looked after.
Now as for the Permatex #2 it's just a safe guard against water and dust getting past the out side of the seal some silicone will do the same thing. Installing seals can be tricky some times. Do Not beat the heck out of them to get them in. Use a small press if you have a work shop, other wise get some thing to lay on top of the seal and tap on that evenly around and work it down evenly till it hits the bottom ledge. In most cases you need to put the inner bearing in first before the seal so watch out for that. Or you off to get some more seals.Done that ONCE.. Note that One bearing usually has a larger ID that one goes before the seal. I could go on but you may be falling asleep right about now..

I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

About 1964 I bought a 1957 Dodge Panel truck for two reasons: we needed a second car and planned on buying a house and moving.

I tooled around town with it for a while, even on the expressways, I took it to my local Exxon garage for an oil change and the tech asked how the front wheel bearings were. I told him to go ahead and check them. They fell apart in his hands!
They were virtually dry!!. So I learned from that to never take bearings for granted. And to think my Dad sold bearings!!! My guardian angel was with me on that one. This was before seat belts, too.

"How is that working for you?" - Dr Phil
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote