Wheel nut removal - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Wheel nut removal

Has anyone ever removed a tire themselves off their Escape. I tried and could not budge my wheel nuts. I hope I never ever have to remove them myself!!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
I'm planning to carry penetrating oil and a tire iron should the need arise to remove a reluctant trailer wheel, and a torque wrench to get it back on and properly tightened. Does this sound like the right strategy?

Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
What kind of tool were you using ? A four way tire iron will not give you much leverage. To tighten you should have a torque wrench and a 13/16 socket. 95 ft lbs for steel wheels. Lug nut torque spec is shown on the label attached to the trailer. Having tools that work would be a good idea when traveling.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you have those fancy aluminum wheels (especially), they need to be torqued properly so they don't distort. Has anyone checked with ETI to find out the foot pounds?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You should expect to need to apply about 100 lb-ft of torque (or more), so if you are using a wrench only one foot long, you're going to need to seriously lean on it. I have carried a flex handle twice that long and a corresponding socket.

I use a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts at home, but have never traveled with one; I'm confident I can achieve a reasonable tightening torque if required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

ETI uses Dexter axles. Dexter says in their FAQ that the torque must be appropriate for the fastener (stud and nut) and the wheel. It would be interesting to hear what the wheel manufacturer recommends.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
Complete dexter axles are supplied with wheel studs installed.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
If you carry a length of steel pipe a couple feet long that will fit over the wrench you are using, you can extend it and employ the lever principle. Might even be able to use the pipe for the WDH, depending on your lug wrench.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
I'm planning to carry penetrating oil and a tire iron should the need arise to remove a reluctant trailer wheel...
What do you mean by a "tire iron"? This meant a lever used to take a tire off a wheel, or put one on, but a modern trailer owner is unlikely to carry one of these (and you usually need two, anyway). If you mean a wrench intended for wheel nuts, the most effective type is the x-shaped design (or "cross wrench" or "cross style lug wrench" or "spider type lug wrench"); the classic one-piece wrench is too short and to hard to hold effectively.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What do you mean by a "tire iron"? This meant a lever used to take a tire off a wheel, or put one on, but a modern trailer owner is unlikely to carry one of these (and you usually need two, anyway). If you mean a wrench intended for wheel nuts, the most effective type is the x-shaped design (or "cross wrench" or "cross style lug wrench" or "spider type lug wrench"); the classic one-piece wrench is too short and to hard to hold effectively.
Umm 4 Way is what I have heard it called for ever perhaps there is a disconnect due to nomenclature :} Lug Nut Wrenches, Tire Changing Tools, Lug Nut Removers, 4 Way Wrenches, Lug Nut Removal Tools