When a solar panel blows off - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I would expect that the "awnings" mentioned are the small ones that owners place over windows as opposed to our "full awnings" that we would definitely not attache with double back tape. (Just my thoughts)
I have used VHB to attach awning rail to the trailer. The tape only holds the rail until you camp and insert the awnings. The rails were sealed along the edges with Proflex to prevent the VHB from drying out. Stored outside and 30,000 miles so far and awning rails are still firmly attached.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
AM Solar says they use the tape, I'm assuming it is VHB tape or similar to attach the solar panel feet and do not drill through. They then show coating it with Dicor. According to them they have never had a panel blow off since they started. From their site:

"Fiberglass roofs – We have been using a type of 3M double-sided tape on our mounts since the mid 1990’s, and we have never lost a panel. As long as the tape is properly installed on a clean surface at the correct temperature, it will hold. As an added level of protection, we use a layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant around the entire perimeter of the mount, and cover the screw holes/heads as well. The sealant protects the tape and any potential roof penetrations from water intrusion and decay."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I have used VHB to attach awning rail to the trailer. The tape only holds the rail until you camp and insert the awnings. The rails were sealed along the edges with Proflex to prevent the VHB from drying out. Stored outside and 30,000 miles so far and awning rails are still firmly attached.
I'm glad you're getting so much use out of your 15b. I'm also glad you sealed the VHB tape with Proflex (and believe it or not, so are the drivers that follow you on the highway). But realistically, the tape couldn't care less about the miles you've traveled since the installation, it's the amount of time that has passed.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
AM Solar says they use the tape, I'm assuming it is VHB tape or similar to attach the solar panel feet and do not drill through. They then show coating it with Dicor. According to them they have never had a panel blow off since they started. From their site:

"Fiberglass roofs – We have been using a type of 3M double-sided tape on our mounts since the mid 1990’s, and we have never lost a panel. As long as the tape is properly installed on a clean surface at the correct temperature, it will hold. As an added level of protection, we use a layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant around the entire perimeter of the mount, and cover the screw holes/heads as well. The sealant protects the tape and any potential roof penetrations from water intrusion and decay."
I'm reading that AM Solar uses Dicor sealant to 'cover the screw holes/heads as well'. as well as any potential roof penetrations. So... does AM Solar use screws, a type of 3M double-sided tape and sealant? Sounds like it.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm glad you're getting so much use out of your 15b. I'm also glad you sealed the VHB tape with Proflex (and believe it or not, so are the drivers that follow you on the highway). But realistically, the tape couldn't care less about the miles you've traveled since the installation, it's the amount of time that has passed.
Ahh... But I believe trips to 110 degree areas and the flexing of the body are indicated by mileage. My window mastic wouldn't continue to exude if it just sat in the driveway. The mileage was included to indicate that the trailer and the adhesive has been under stress and many different temperature extremes which 3M does indicate is a factor in longevity.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Ahh... But I believe trips to 110 degree areas and the flexing of the body are indicated by mileage. My window mastic wouldn't continue to exude if it just sat in the driveway. The mileage was included to indicate that the trailer and the adhesive has been under stress and many different temperature extremes which 3M does indicate is a factor in longevity.
You could be right. I guess you'll see won't you.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Am solar Installation

I just returned last night from picking up my Escape in Chilliwack and stopping by AM solar on my way home to have them install my solar panels, charge controller and monitor.

Yes, they use 3m tape sealed with dicore or Sikaflex in my case. They screw panel mounts down when there is a plywood base to attach and seal . It was determined that screws into the Escape roof would not add strength so no screws were used on mine and the stronger bond of sikaflex was added over the entire foot.
They claim No failures to date, but most of there panels have installed on RV's that allow for use of screws into plywood. They could not tell me how exactly how many similar installs they have performed but estimated over 1000 and 4 Escapes in recent history. As stated earlier proper temp cure and sealing is absolutely necessary, water infiltrating the 3M tape will cause failure.

The panels were mounted low to help reduce wind loading and I will fabricate a front " wind deflector" and " side skirts" and attach with the same 3m tape and sikaflex to maybe help in seeing degradation of the tape and sikaflex.

Overall AM solar is really confident in this approach. By keeping wind from getting under the panels and regular inspections I'm hopeful this is sufficient.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9027.jpg   IMG_9044.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #28

Quote:
I'll never understand why anyone would install a solar panel using just 'double back tape'.
I'm glad to learn the proper way to install a solar panel using 'double back tape' is to also use a Sikaflex or similar bonding material to completely cover the entire mounting legs. My guess would be that the double back tape keeps the legs in place while the Sikaflex or similar is being applied. The first solar panels installed by Escape, if my memory is correct, was with double back tape only. The photos provided by craiginpetaluma have cleared that up.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Congrats on your new 21 Craig. It looks like you got their Tilt Mounts on the panels??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Craig,
Is it possible you can post picture of the new style control panel ETI is installing now? Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Zero issues so far but they will one day because 'double back foam tape' dries out. And when it dries out, it releases. It's not like butyl tape. Mounting a solar panel with 2 strips of double back foam tape then subjecting it to exterior weather conditions at 60 mph (should) seem wrong at the get go.
I'd be interested to hear a follow up on anyone that installed an awning with double back tape.
Very easy installers who use 3m tape also cover with waterproof sealer so it won't dry out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Sorry looks like this was already gone over . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Greg,

Yes, two 160 watt tiltable solar panels, with a Bogart SC2030 charge controller at the batteries and tri-metric 2030 remote monitor mounted above the refer. I also had AM solar install 300 watt inverter wired to one outlet.

Jim,

The Escape battery , fresh, grey, black tank monitor with water heater and waterpump switch is on the right in the photo. The Am solar installed tri-metric is on the left.

The other photo is all the AM solar install next to the Escape converter, Power distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9046.jpg   IMG_9048.jpg   IMG_9051.jpg   IMG_9053.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I would expect that the "awnings" mentioned are the small ones that owners place over windows as opposed to our "full awnings" that we would definitely not attache with double back tape. (Just my thoughts)
No they're actually pretty long, typically for the double-hull trailers like Burro and U-Haul VT. But, not an awning like the ETI awing. Just the rail is mounted with double-sided tape and a bag awning slides into the rail.

If you want to know about the solar panels mounted with double-sided tape, check Norm&Ginny's posts. Norm said they've been mounted on the top of his 16' Scamp for four or five years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

If you want to know about the solar panels mounted with double-sided tape, check Norm&Ginny's posts.
How can I read their posts?
Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
How can I read their posts?
Join FiberglassRV. Lots of us are! It's as easy as joining here since Social Knowledge owns both websites.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #37

Thanks, Craig....
Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Join FiberglassRV. Lots of us are! It's as easy as joining here since Social Knowledge owns both websites.
It's harder than I thought to find norm&ginny's post on double-sided tape mounted solar panels. Can you help?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #39

here you go
Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16 - Page 50 - Fiberglass RV
Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #40

Thanks cpaharley,
It appears in this thread's case the solar panel is flush to the trailer and taped on all four edges, flush to the trailer not off set and taped on just two sides. Different from the solar panels this discussion is about.