When not to mow the lawn - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I guess, looking for the silver lining, it's better that the rock broke a replaceable window rather than put a harder to repair chip in the gelcoat.
My other silver lining is that it'll be a great excuse to take the trailer out more. Our crappy grass/weeds grow pretty quickly. I'll be using the trailer on my own far more than with Dirk, so he'll just be cutting the weeds more often I guess. Drawback though - he cuts down all the pretty yellow flowers that some folks call weeds but I (and the bees) like. (dandelions)

And yeah, heard the joke about planting potatoes before.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Laura.
After doing some extensive reading on the big RV forums when these windows were first announced, if they break whether it is the glass or the mechanism to open/close them, or any other part, the entire window unit has to be replaced. There were no parts or pieces available or offered and no one apparently can re-glue the mechanisms if they separate from the glass, thus you can't simply get just a glass replacement.
Hopefully this will change at some point in the future or it will be a real pain when something happens.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Laura.
After doing some extensive reading on the big RV forums when these windows were first announced, if they break whether it is the glass or the mechanism to open/close them, or any other part, the entire window unit has to be replaced. There were no parts or pieces available or offered and no one apparently can re-glue the mechanisms if they separate from the glass, thus you can't simply get just a glass replacement.
Hopefully this will change at some point in the future or it will be a real pain when something happens.
Thanks Greg. Interesting info and thanks for posting about it.

And, not to mention, expensive! Yeah, you can turn it into your insurance, but at what point do they raise your premiums and you end up paying more over the long run?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I don't know how well "no residue" duct tape works, but another product I've used many, many rolls of is Gaffer's Tape. Used by theatre & the film industry, strong, leaves no residue even after months in place, and sticks to most surfaces well. More expensive than duct tape, but for most purposes, better. Get it from the nearest theatrical supplier. comparing the products.
Jon I remember you mentioning Gaffers Tape before . I think I saw some at our Home Depot recently . Looks like very handy tape to have . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #25

Update on the busted window

Got the plexiglass window installed this evening. The red at the top is another layer of the double sided tape we used to keep everything together. It's against the top of the glass and the metal hinge up there. I didn't remove the red covering as there won't be anything sticking to the outside of it. And I didn't feel like coming home to a bunch of bugs stuck to it. Major ick.

So, everyone needs to start crossing their fingers (mentally, of course) Thursday morning that it doesn't come flying off while driving down the road/freeway. Yes, I have lots of confidence in Dirk's work but I'm also many times a pessimist.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #26

Crud!

Forgot to attach the photos. Jeez.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05284.jpg   DSC05285.jpg  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Got the plexiglass window installed this evening. The red at the top is another layer of the double sided tape we used to keep everything together. It's against the top of the glass and the metal hinge up there. I didn't remove the red covering as there won't be anything sticking to the outside of it. And I didn't feel like coming home to a bunch of bugs stuck to it. Major ick.

So, everyone needs to start crossing their fingers (mentally, of course) Thursday morning that it doesn't come flying off while driving down the road/freeway. Yes, I have lots of confidence in Dirk's work but I'm also many times a pessimist.
I often say to wifey "Oh ye of little faith". If it blows off I'll make you a new covering on Thursday when you're here.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
This is a very unfortunate incident but it is good of you to document the solution, Laura. Maybe the thread should be re-titled "Replacing a Window" so it would be easier to find in future searches. Not that one would wish this on anyone...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Rather than rely on tape to hold it on, I would drill a few holes through the plexiglass and zip tie it to a crossbar or other item inside the trailer. Put a piece of tape over the ties to keep out any drips.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Rather than rely on tape to hold it on, I would drill a few holes through the plexiglass and zip tie it to a crossbar or other item inside the trailer. Put a piece of tape over the ties to keep out any drips.
that is very great advice . Pat
Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It's hard to tell from the two photos how well it is stuck on, but there is going to be some serious wind forces trying to rip it off. Especially with the overhanging edges. Another option might be drilling and then inserting a short screw in each corner through the plexiglass and then into the window frame. It is all being replaced anyway.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It's hard to tell from the two photos how well it is stuck on, but there is going to be some serious wind forces trying to rip it off. Especially with the overhanging edges. Another option might be drilling and then inserting a short screw in each corner through the plexiglass and then into the window frame. It is all being replaced anyway.
I think I like this advice even better . Didn't realize you have to replace the whole window . Probably the tape as well . The plexiglass is lighter then the glass , so it needs to be really secured. Pat
Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I often say to wifey "Oh ye of little faith". If it blows off I'll make you a new covering on Thursday when you're here.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
This is a very unfortunate incident but it is good of you to document the solution, Laura. Maybe the thread should be re-titled "Replacing a Window" so it would be easier to find in future searches. Not that one would wish this on anyone...
I thought about that originally, but technically we've just done a temporary replacement, not a complete replacement. I'll probably do that separately (and reference this thread) when the new window gets put in.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I'll mention this to Dirk later on - thanks for these ideas. Not sure what it could be ziptied to inside the trailer though. The tape we used looks to be exactly the same stuff that Hehr used in various places. And yeah, the entire window will need to be replaced.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
FYI be very careful if you try to drill plexiglass as it will crack quite easily. If it is Lexan or Margard your fine to drill, it won't crack.

Cheers
Doug