When not to mow the lawn - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
When not to mow the lawn

The very best time to mow the lawn is when the trailer isn't around, as I discovered this morning. Yesterday Dirk mowed the lawn. Yep, you guessed it.

A rock went flying and shattered the left rear side window. I didn't discover it until I went out there this AM to put some stuff in there for my upcoming trip.

WTF?!?!??!?!

A very frustrating day ensued of calling just about every place I could between ETI and Corvallis OR (where I'm headed on Thursday). Thinking I could get it replaced at home, on the road or where I was staying. Half the places never got back to me with a quote or to even tell me they can't do it. Great customer service - yeah, don't think so.

Discovered it's not quite so easy to get a replacement for a side window. Motorhome windshield - piece of cake. And even from places that claimed to have a huge inventory on windows. Nope.

ETI has one, but couldn't fit me in until Thursday (I think; I never got a call back telling me they still had an opening and I finally called saying to forget about it). I was hoping for sooner; therefore all the calling around today.

Dirk came home, looked at it and said he could put in a replacement piece of plexiglass until we can replace the window. So, off to Lowe's where they cut a big sheet down for us.

Went to take the window out by pushing against the exit pole from the inside. DOINK! Right on top of Dirk, who was outside the window. Glass all over the place. Good thing we don't have a barefoot type of yard as it sure isn't now in that area, even after taking a trowel to the broken bits of glass.

We're also racing against all the heavy rains that have been coming through off and on all day long. Got a piece trimmed and taped it in place literally seconds before it started dumping rain again.

Oh, I might add that the inside window is fine, so half the work for Dirk now.

Next up is removing the bits of glass still adhered to the frame. Any suggestions on that? It might be stuck to epoxy or some such (clueless about all that).

Dirk might be taking the day off tomorrow but he promises he'll have something going for me for when I leave on Thursday. What a guy!

Not sure if the first photo will show the cracks, but the one taken from inside definitely does.

BTW, if anyone needs to replace it, it's a Hehr model #6473 20"x30" exit window. $375 to replace and $95/hour for two hours to install at ETI. Please note I have the new style, so it's a frameless window.

Later on I'll find out about ordering a replacement directly from Hehr.

So, now I have a great excuse to leave. "Hey Dirk, I think the lawn needs mowing so I'd better head out of here".
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05277.JPG   DSC05279.jpg   DSC05280.JPG   DSC05281.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ouch. You might try these people, in Vancouver, WA: Rv Window Repair, Replacement Windows For Rv | Motionwindows.Com
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ouch. You might try these people, in Vancouver, WA: Rv Window Repair, Replacement Windows For Rv | Motionwindows.Com
I did. 6 weeks to get the window in.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate mishap. Tough luck all around. Hope you are able to get a replacement installed soon and at a reasonable price.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #5

Trailer: pondering.....
being that those HEHR frameless are relatively new and Thermal dual pane, might be difficult to find one off the shelf except at ETI....have not seen a single RV trailer that uses HEHR frameless windows (Except Escape) in the last year while visiting RV shows and dealers but rather some other brand seems popular. The good news is you are close to ETI, who probably has one.
So it shattered the outside glass pane and not the inner glass pane of the same window?
Did RV insurance cover it possibly....perhaps not much difference, a rock from a mower versus rock from a passing vehicle...
the blue tape color does look good, better than grey duct tape.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
"But for the grace of God...." Thanks for the heads-up, Laura. With a gravel driveway next to where we park our new 21', and small rocks occasionally being thrown by car tires out into the grass, the same could easily happen to us. Note to me - check for rocks in the grass alongside our driveway and mow that area with the grass chute pointed away from the trailer!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
A couple of years ago my neighbor was mowing his lawn (parking strip) and my car was parked to the left of my Mom's car, both perpendicular to the direction of his mowing and about 20 feet away. A rock from the mower hit my front passenger side window. Not the rear window which was facing the mower but the one between the two cars, at a right angle to the strip he was mowing! But luckily in that case his homeowner's paid for the window.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: ISO Escape 19
Nice temporary repair

The whole event sucks but you did and excellent job on the temp repair.

I am going to leave my lawn unmowed this year lesson learned.
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Next up is removing the bits of glass still adhered to the frame. Any suggestions on that? It might be stuck to epoxy or some such (clueless about all that).
It's glass stuck to a metal frame, in a vehicle, so a good guess would be that it is glued with the same stuff used for automotive windshields... which is some variety of urethane. Urethane stays somewhat flexible, while epoxy glues tend to get much harder. You could ask an auto glass shop for suggestions, but I think they all cut urethane off (typically with a knife blade in a reciprocating saw) and scrape the rest.

Do you have an oscillating power tool?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #10

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I posted this, in large part, so others can be aware of rocks flying towards your trailer. And to give you an excuse to take it out while someone else mows your lawn!

The glass was so shattered we weren't able to tell exactly where the rock hit, but it did fly up rather high.

We'll probably end up getting one from ETI - either they ship it to us ($50 freight) and Dirk installs it, or I haul the trailer up there. And I can hang out in their reception area and test out the new chairs while waiting for two hours. Just not the day I'm planning on heading the opposite direction.

Dirk did get off all the glass bits and he said it took all of his strength and then some. He said I'd never have gotten it off - he's right on that!

We'll see what happens tomorrow. It's not supposed to rain as much (if at all!) so that will help quite a bit. The two pieces of glass and plexiglass will be held on with some sort of double back tape recommended by the guy at Lowe's that restores/repairs snowmobiles and has done the same for the windscreen.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
(snip) The good news is you are close to ETI, who probably has one.
So it shattered the outside glass pane and not the inner glass pane of the same window?
Did RV insurance cover it possibly....perhaps not much difference, a rock from a mower versus rock from a passing vehicle...
the blue tape color does look good, better than grey duct tape.
Yep, just the outside piece of glass. Haven't contacted insurance since I didn't know who would be replacing it or what it would cost.

Figured the blue painters tape wouldn't leave any sticky residue like duct tape would.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yep, just the outside piece of glass. Haven't contacted insurance since I didn't know who would be replacing it or what it would cost.

Figured the blue painters tape wouldn't leave any sticky residue like duct tape would.
What a bummer . Lucky you aren't too far from Escape . Hoping your fixed soon . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Keep an eye on the tape, painters tape is not the strongest stuff to hold a window on with, if that's what it is. If needed they make no residue duct tape.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If strength and lack of residue is desired, gaffer's tape would be the best choice.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've had the blue come out of the blue painters tape when it got wet and it ran! Careful, you don't want blue streaks down the side of your trailer.

I bought no residue Duct tape at Wal-Mart and have left it on, outside, for five months and had no residue when I took it off.
Attached Thumbnails
NoResidueDuctTape.jpeg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

Huh, didn't know there was such a thing as no-residue duct/duck tape! The things you learn.

Anyway, it's only on there until this evening. I'll check it in a bit for any blue streaks - thanks for that info as well (news to me!).

And if it streaks and I can't get it off - guess I get the exterior painted another color than white, like a few others have done (and that's always in the back of my mind).

I really do like that blue color of the painters tape.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Might call Camping World in Wilsonville, Oregon (right next to I-5) as it's a huge one that MIGHT have the window or could certainly get it in quickly...

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
When is it time to plant potatoes?

Hi: NW Cat Owner... Here's your chuckle for today.
A wife visits her hubby in "The joint". She asks him if it's time to plant potatoes. He says to wait two weeks. After she leaves he talks to the Warden and says he buried the robbery loot in the vegetable garden. The cops go dig up the garden but find nothing. The wife calls to tell him what went on. He says "Now is the time to plant potatoes". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I guess, looking for the silver lining, it's better that the rock broke a replaceable window rather than put a harder to repair chip in the gelcoat.

Good luck sourcing a speedy replacement.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've had the blue come out of the blue painters tape when it got wet and it ran! Careful, you don't want blue streaks down the side of your trailer.

I bought no residue Duct tape at Wal-Mart and have left it on, outside, for five months and had no residue when I took it off.
I don't know how well "no residue" duct tape works, but another product I've used many, many rolls of is Gaffer's Tape. Used by theatre & the film industry, strong, leaves no residue even after months in place, and sticks to most surfaces well. More expensive than duct tape, but for most purposes, better. Get it from the nearest theatrical supplier. comparing the products.