Where do you hang towels? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Tthanks everyone for giving great ideas! We hadn't thought of hooks over the door or those ikea towel racks. Definite possibilities!

As to the extra weight, good to know it's more a selling factor for light weight trailers. I was wondering what the reason was.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 19'
On our 19' I added 300 +/- lbs of fixed equipment and cabinet work. The trailer handles better 'empty' and it had no effect on mileage. A 19' with dual axle is a natural.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the reinforced wall in the 21 between the bath and bed, one can install towel bars inside and outside the shower....see post #222 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is the only wall we had reinforced and glad we did, as just from kicking it, I think it might have been down in the bathroom by now! Never considered that. We have some heavy items we want on one or both sides of that wall.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Use a magnet to find the colored staples ETI used to attache the pretty wood to the framing. Makes it simple to attach things.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In my 17B I hang the dish towel on an over-the-door stainless steel hanger on the clothes cabinet door. Bath towel & wash cloth go in a short clothesline made of parachute cord attached to two light weight bungee cords I stretch between the springs that hold the doors open on the front two cabinets. Since I usually shower at night, I hang them stretched out to dry, then fold them both & put them away in the morning.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Hi Brian,

Nothing more than to have the trailer feel less flimsy. I guess I'm a little curious as well as to why an additional 25 lbs here or there in the trailer would be a big deal when most 1/2 ton pickups can easily tow 7000+ lbs.? As long as it doesn't exceed the axle weight. Like I said, right now it's just theory.

We are probably going to have the wall reinforced anyway, again, to make it feel like a real wall.
Thanks.

Although maximum trailer ratings are often far beyond the trailer weight, real capacity (accounting for passengers and cargo weight in the truck) makes most setups far closer to their limits than one might guess. Even then, 25 pounds isn't a big deal... until as Myron suggested you do that for twenty parts of the trailer, and have another 500 pounds to haul around. If it is ahead of the axle, it contributes to tongue weight, and quite a few pickup truck owners run in trouble with hitch weight versus truck payload (or perhaps occasionally rear axle capacity)... even with Escapes.

I think stiffening walls will help avoid that flimsy feeling more than stiffening the door, with less weight and without potentially causing hinge problems. How about a thicker hollow-core door? Most houses use hollow-core doors, and I've never heard of one which uses slabs of solid plywood.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
We hang towels outside under the sleeping loft on our 5.0TA. Being under the overhang, if there is rain, towels or bathing suits do not get drenched and continue to dry. We use Coughlin bungee cord clothes lines (1 on each side), available at Camping World (@ $6 each) attached to our kingpin lock on one end and to stainless steel I-bolts on the flat steel triangular shaped plates on either side of the front storage compartment on the other end. The two lines are quick and easy to set up or to take down. The bungee cord are actually double cords twisted, so by separating the strands and tucking towels/clothing between the two strands, the need for clothes pins is eliminated. If desired, regular clothes line rope could be used. Hopefully, the picture I attempted to post will show up; a picture is worth 1,000 words.

We also have a couple of Command Hooks over the toilet to hang towels or wet rain coats, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Ron- those stainless racks look very nice and for the bath it does keep them out of the way. Not as concerned with them showing as them getting in the way opening the door and possibly springing the hinges. Like the Kitchen rack as well

Any tips on replicating them?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Ron- those stainless racks look very nice and for the bath it does keep them out of the way. Not as concerned with them showing as them getting in the way opening the door and possibly springing the hinges. Like the Kitchen rack as well

Any tips on replicating them?
Thanks, I think the bottom line is awareness that there's about an 1 1/2" frame to put screws into. However the door overlaps the opening so you only have 1 1/2" minus the overlap to put the screws into and you have to make sure the bracket doesn't hit the door jam. Not rocket science, just requires some careful measurements and a bracket that's suitable.

The kitchen towel bar is much more forgiving because you can always put a backing block anywhere you need it depending on how wide the bar is. Conventional, off the rack, towel bars would easily work in that location.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
We used sea to summit tek towels...very absorbant and dries quickly...they have a small snap on loop that attaches to anything easily.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
We added a simple towel ring below our acrylic mirror. When showering, the towel stays dry because it's protected by the shower curtain. Also replaced the steel I-beam curtain track with an aluminum one. The painted steel ones eventually rust.

I also have a couple of soft vinyl over-the-door hooks that fit perfectly over the lip of the sink - great for holding facecloths, etc and easy to take on and off. Great for hanging a wet bathing suit on.
Attached Thumbnails
shower ring mirror.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My wife doesn't like this solution (says it looks 'slummy') but weather permitting, I usually hang wet items on the awning arms outside. They dry quick. I also like the clotheslines that mount to the rear receiver.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I have been looking for a clothesline that mounts on the rear receiver of the trailer. Do you have a reference/link? And Merry Christmas from balmy SE Texas. We have the A/C running today!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeltaine View Post
our (used) 19' came with towel (command) hooks behind the toilet, but we plan to use our bathroom to shower in so I'm adding two command hooks to the inside of the door so they'll stay dry during the shower.
Amy, the vinyl lining on the inside of the wash room door will not adequately support the command hooks. We had a bath towel hanging on the door and the the vinyl pulled away from the door. The command hooks do work well, however, on the fibreglass shower walls.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We put two medium sized 3M command hooks for towels on the fiberglass shower enclosure to the left when sitting on the toilet, behind the shower curtain so they stay dry when showering. Working out great so far.
Also have a 4 hook umbra on the bathroom wall right outside that towels can hang on temporarily if needed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #37

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I have been looking for a clothesline that mounts on the rear receiver of the trailer. Do you have a reference/link? And Merry Christmas from balmy SE Texas. We have the A/C running today!
I've seen them advertised in the Camping World flyers. A few of the campsites I stayed at with my rental stated you couldn't use clothes hangers/lines.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I have found a nice over the door hook towel holder with 5 holders but don't know how sturdy the door is. Could it hold a 1.2 lb. holder plus 4 bath towels? Don't want it to cause problems...

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Stainle...oor+hook&psc=1
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
I have found a nice over the door hook towel holder with 5 holders but don't know how sturdy the door is. Could it hold a 1.2 lb. holder plus 4 bath towels? Don't want it to cause problems...

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Stainle...oor+hook&psc=1
My door is probably strong enough, however I did have to replace the hinges after 4 1/2 years of use. Two out of the three cracked at the screw holes going into the wall. Mine are/were a standard cabinet hinge, so no problem finding them.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I've seen them advertised in the Camping World flyers. A few of the campsites I stayed at with my rental stated you couldn't use clothes hangers/lines.

Thanks. I will look online. I'm really looking for an idea/picture so I can make my own probably out of PVC so I can quickly assemble/disassemble depending on the campground rules.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote