Where do you place your CPAP machine? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Where do you place your CPAP machine?

I have sleep apnea and need to sleep with a CPAP machine. I have the ResMed S9 model. From the great information on this forum, it looks like it will work well with the solar system that will be installed on our new Escape 19 that is on order.

Before my build sheet is finalized, I am wondering if anyone can suggest modifications to the 19 in addition to having a dedicated 12 volt plug and 120 v plug installed for the CPAP. For example, would the CPAP work in the overhead cupboard above the bed if a lip was installed along the front of the shelf to keep it in place?

Thanx

Dave Whiting
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Hi Dave, I have the same machine. We have a 15 so our layout is a little different from yours. We had the table made into a permanent bed and it is right beside the sink, counter and stove. I keep it in the cabinet under the sink which is right beside our heads ( we sleep roadside). There was already a 110 outlet there and I had Reace move the 12 volt up and out a bit so it was above the mattress level. To accomodate the electrical cord and the CPAP hose, he drilled a hole in the side of the cabinet and put in a grommet to tidy up the edges of the hole. If I remember correctly, their manual says the machine should be below the level of t
Your head and not above it. I believe this is due to the humidifier being filled with water so you do not get a face bath or worse, an unwanted drink of water in the middle of the night. So check your manual before you commit to installing it above your bed level. Again, as your layout is different from ours, it is best to work with Reace, explain your needs and he will make it work for you.

Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
What an informative and timely response, Scott. That's what this forum is about.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

That was quick!! Thanks Scott for the good advice. I will check the manual.

Dave
Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

Trailer: none
We also have the same machine but opted to not use the humidifier when in the trailer. (We were told that's ok by our docs.) So far we have only had one cpap running in the trailer...husband just got his recently and we haven't been out in the trailer with bot yet. I just put the main part of the machine beside me on the 'floor' next to the mattress in the loft since ours is a 5.0 Escape....I turned the cpap on its side so the intake would not be blocked. There didn't seem any place to put the whole thing (machine plus humidifier) and not have it blocked by bedding. There is a 120 outlet at the foot of the bed on each side. We are still working on putting in 12v outlets for times when hookups are not available and we need to run off the solar/battery.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Hi Dave,
I've used a Respironics machine with a similar design to your ResMed for 3 years in our 17 and several trips now in our 21.
It operates in an overhead cabinet with the humidifier filled, but not heated and have not experienced any 'rainout'. I use a fleece hose cover which probably helps with that.
I had ETI install a 12v outlet near the cabinet and use a 12v adapter/cord so it runs without shore power. You should probably check with ResMed to see if that is an option - I think the newer machines have an optional heated hose that might require more power.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
We have an Escape 19 and Dave just puts the CPAP on the stove at night. It's the perfect height. He uses a long 12 volt extension cord and plugs in under the table when we don't have electricity. He says don't put it higher than your head because bad things could happen when you turn over.
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Our Cpap 12v plugs (and every other 12v plug we've tried) will not fit in the 12v outlet in the dinette area (the one with the cable TV and 12V outlet) The outlet is too small...apparently something to do with Winegard (who makes the plate) and who does not want anything but 12V TV's plugged in there....go figure...
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

Thanks for the response Paul. I have checked my documentation for my CPAP and there are no warnings that the CPAP should not be elevated above me. And I have recently ordered a 12 V power converter from ResMed designed for the machine which will minimize my use of electricity (by eliminating the inverter I currently use). I will not turn the humidifier on when operating on 12 V (but your idea of having water in the tank is a good one)
I will see if Reece can install outlets in the cabinet above the bed and installing a barrier across the front of the shelf to keep the CPAP from falling on to my head in the night might be a good idea.
I like the idea of not dealing with cords and CPAP machine every morning and evening if possible.

Appreciate your comments.

dave