Where do you store your generator? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Rick,
Nice setup. Do you know what your tongue weight comes in at with propane bottles full, gas tank and can full, and stuff in the box ready to go? Probably couldn't look at this on my tow, but I like it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Rick,
Nice setup. Do you know what your tongue weight comes in at with propane bottles full, gas tank and can full, and stuff in the box ready to go? Probably couldn't look at this on my tow, but I like it.
My guess is over 600 lbs. The generator, over-the-propane-tanks-box and full gas can weigh 120 to 130 lbs. I don't have heavy stuff in the box, but it adds up. I pull with a Tundra, so I don't have to worry about it weighing too much.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
This has been an interesting topic to me. We just bought a Honda eu2000i to power our air conditioner as we anticipated a trip where the temperature was supposed to be in the 90s but it ended up in the 70s. We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee so we put the generator and a 2 gallon gas can in the back. At first, I noticed a gas smell but it dissipated and we carried it there for a week with no problem. With the generator inside its storage cover, it doesn't look like much. Since we live in earthquake country, we justified the purchase also as a contingency, and as I am a radio amateur, I can also use it for remote power. When we are not traveling, I plan to store it in either the earthquake storage box near the trailer or on the other side of the house in a storage area under the side deck, which is much cooler and therefore better for storage.

When I bought the generator, the salesman suggested using a 3/8" transport chain for security as it cannot be cut with a bolt cutter but must be cut with a torch. I got some 3/8" chain which can be cut with a bolt cutter (that's how I purchased 4 feet of it) and I am concerned about the security so I expect to not leave it exposed when we are away. I also got a Honda "theft deterrent bracket" which is a steel cover for the plastic handle so it cannot be cut. I saw a suggestion in another topic to make a shroud from rigid foam for better sound insulation, so I made one to use as a disguising cover. Its advantage over the dog kennel is that it folds flat when not in use. It provides very little sound insulation, I have found but would someone expect a generator inside a pink foam box?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
It provides very little sound insulation, I have found but would someone expect a generator inside a pink foam box?
If only designing effective sound shielding was that simple. You probably allowed for an air intake but if you didn't it should have one. That being said, unless the intake is carefully baffled about the same amount of noise will come out the opening as not having a sound shield. Also, be careful about enclosing an air cooled engine. Effective and protective cooling might be drastically reduced.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
This has been an interesting topic to me. We just bought a Honda eu2000i to power our air conditioner as we anticipated a trip where the temperature was supposed to be in the 90s but it ended up in the 70s. We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee so we put the generator and a 2 gallon gas can in the back. At first, I noticed a gas smell but it dissipated and we carried it there for a week with no problem. With the generator inside its storage cover, it doesn't look like much. Since we live in earthquake country, we justified the purchase also as a contingency, and as I am a radio amateur, I can also use it for remote power. When we are not traveling, I plan to store it in either the earthquake storage box near the trailer or on the other side of the house in a storage area under the side deck, which is much cooler and therefore better for storage.

When I bought the generator, the salesman suggested using a 3/8" transport chain for security as it cannot be cut with a bolt cutter but must be cut with a torch. I got some 3/8" chain which can be cut with a bolt cutter (that's how I purchased 4 feet of it) and I am concerned about the security so I expect to not leave it exposed when we are away. I also got a Honda "theft deterrent bracket" which is a steel cover for the plastic handle so it cannot be cut. I saw a suggestion in another topic to make a shroud from rigid foam for better sound insulation, so I made one to use as a disguising cover. Its advantage over the dog kennel is that it folds flat when not in use. It provides very little sound insulation, I have found but would someone expect a generator inside a pink foam box?
Just a heads up - it takes about 15 seconds to cut through 3/8" chain with a portable hand grinder...
Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If only designing effective sound shielding was that simple. You probably allowed for an air intake but if you didn't it should have one. That being said, unless the intake is carefully baffled about the same amount of noise will come out the opening as not having a sound shield. Also, be careful about enclosing an air cooled engine. Effective and protective cooling might be drastically reduced.

Ron
Actually, I used a 4 sided box (top and 3 sides) with no cover on the end of the generator where the air intake and exhaust are. I expected there would be little impact and I was right. Designing a baffle is more than I am prepared to tackle. Any baffle designers out there?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Just a heads up - it takes about 15 seconds to cut through 3/8" chain with a portable hand grinder...
The salesman claimed that a transport chain was much tougher. Apparently, its slightly yellow color is because of the different alloy used. I haven't confirmed or denied this.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The salesman claimed that a transport chain was much tougher. Apparently, its slightly yellow color is because of the different alloy used.
There are a lot of chain grades. He was probably referring to something like Grade 70 Transport Chain, which is far from the strongest or hardest grade, and readily available in hardware stores... where it is cut with bolt cutters to the length you want. The colour is due to a coating, not the steel alloy.

There are very hard high-security chain types; I don't know if they are any good, but they have been discussed in this forum recently.

I thought that this was interesting reading:
Popular Mechanics: Can You Buy a Bolt Cutter-Proof Chain?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Actually, I used a 4 sided box (top and 3 sides) with no cover on the end of the generator where the air intake and exhaust are. I expected there would be little impact and I was right. Designing a baffle is more than I am prepared to tackle. Any baffle designers out there?
This is pretty much what I do with foam pieces made from 2" Foamular Polystyrene held together with lag bolts that push into holes in the foam, but the exhaust is the loudest part. It is really only effective if you have a site where you can point the exhaust away (and not bother someone else). Then put the foam on only three sides and the top. Used mine this past weekend and you could barely hear the Honda EU2000 about 45 feet away. Arrange the enclosure to make sure there is adequate air around the machine.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape RV 2010
I have the Orbital rack on my Casita. I have an Escape 19 on order. I want to put a generator rack on with the Escape box. I can't remember when Little House Customs installed the generator rack, were the brackets welded?
vtskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We carry our Honda 2000i on our Escape 21 above our propane tanks on a shelf built by Orbital Machine Works. Beside the generator we carry a 2 1/2 gallon metal gas can. Everything is covered by an upside down 35 gallon tote that is held down with bungie cords. We used this setup with our Casita and I moved it to the Escape.
Were there welds on the Casita that you had to cut and then weld new brackets on the Escape?
Old 07-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sold my generator when I got solar on my first Escape with solar 2012E19 and never needed one since! Here is our delivery split with a couple from Maryland who drove up and we went camping......
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0019.jpg   DSCN0034.jpg  
Old 07-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtskiguy View Post
I have the Orbital rack on my Casita. I have an Escape 19 on order. I want to put a generator rack on with the Escape box. I can't remember when Little House Customs installed the generator rack, were the brackets welded?
Are you referring to the Universal over-tank platform? If so, they were installed with brackets.
Universal Over-tank Utility Platform
Old 07-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #34

Right on, but how was the the rack mounted when you had it? Welded?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Never had one. Just researched adding one. I think you are asking richardr for a response who moved one from Casita to Escape. This thread should help...
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...elf-11151.html
Old 07-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Any one tried the heavy Bike cables with combo locks. I use them a lot when hunting and leaving camp. Seems like the cable is harder to cut than the chain.??
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had a heavy duty plastic coated cable fall apart when I picked it up. Had had it for many years and it had simply corroded.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #38

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Any one tried the heavy Bike cables with combo locks. I use them a lot when hunting and leaving camp. Seems like the cable is harder to cut than the chain.??
I was in the bike business for years . . . all of the cables are easily cut with decent bolt cutters. Chain, steel cables - you name it - not a problem for a thief with tools.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We carry our 3KW generator and hard to unseal gas can in the rear of our Jeep Grand Cherokee. We traveled to the PacNW from mid May to mid June. Ran into the heat dome and were really glad to have our generator with us. We then went into Montana to get away from the extreme heat and it was still over 100°F. Had a wedding to be present at in MT in mid July, then started back to AZ. We still had nearly 100° at 8000 ft in northern UT. It cooled off finally at 8000 ft in the Kaibab National Forest in Northern AZ. Sure glad we carried that generator.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:58 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:

I had one of the early propane racks which was installed on the Casita using U bolts around the frame. When I moved it to the Escape, I used short lengths of about 2 inch angle iron under the trailer frame which were bolted through the holes in the bottom of the rack. I used angle iron because that is what I had available.