Where do you store your generator? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Where do you store your generator?

Where do you store your generator? What is your set up for a generator and gas?
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I store mine in my tool shed next to my outhouse along with a 5 gallon can of gas with Stabil
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
In my pickup under the topper.... But then we have a 21'.

Not sure what I'd do with it with the 5.0. Maybe squeeze it it into the bed and put a cover on it with a cable and lock.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I store mine in my tool shed next to my outhouse along with a 5 gallon can of gas with Stabil
I've never taken mine along on a trip mostly because we probably wouldn't use it much. I do have a transfer switch for the house though. Never thought of putting fuel stabilizer in it. Probably a good idea since it sits so long. I only fire it up a couple of times a year.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA
We have two Yamaha 2000's and store them in the tool box which is in the front of the bed of the truck. We have a 5.0 TA. I do have to take them out of the toolbox when we need to use them and chain them to the bumper and never leave them unattended.
oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I keep ours in the truck bed under the canopy. We just got it last year and except for making sure it would run the air conditioning we haven't used it. I'm sure if it's hot and we can't find shade we will be glad to have it.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have a Honda 2000 and the 5.0TA. If I were to take it with me I'd put it in the truck bed next to the cab. I have a tri-fold tonneau cover that when folded up keeps the weather off things next to the cab. It'd also be out of sight if you put a few other items around it, I'd also chain it to a bed anchor. There is also the option to put it in a Rubbermaid tub so it's out of sight. Both of these modes I used when I had my previous trailer, with solar I've not needed the generator with the 5.0TA although I did haul it across the country on our first trip for nothing.

The Honda gets about 10 hours of runtime when charging the batteries so I had no need for a gas can. I've never used the generator for A/C, would certainly need the gas can if I had. I picked up a small 1 gallon can which would have been plenty, had I needed it.

In the past I also carried the generator in the trailer I had at the time. The Honda has a gas cap shutoff, supposedly it seals in the fumes, I noticed no issues going this route either. It does mean you have to move it every time you stop.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhead View Post
We have two Yamaha 2000's and store them in the tool box which is in the front of the bed of the truck. We have a 5.0 TA. I do have to take them out of the toolbox when we need to use them and chain them to the bumper and never leave them unattended.
What size bed and tool box do you use?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've never taken mine along on a trip mostly because we probably wouldn't use it much. I do have a transfer switch for the house though. Never thought of putting fuel stabilizer in it. Probably a good idea since it sits so long. I only fire it up a couple of times a year.

Ron
We never take ours camping either , no reason too . We just use it for power outages at home and for running powertools when utility power is not available ( Work)
We buy Stabil by the quart and use it in the gas for all our small engines. ( Lawnmower, snowblower , boat , generator , brush cutter, etc)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The only generator I have is a 15K natural gas bolted to a slab behind the house. With an automatic, whole house transfer switch, I'm now set for winter blackouts (although I'm usually in Arizona for the winter these days!) I do have 320 Watts of solar on the roof & 160 watts in the back of the truck...
Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA
We have a 5 &1/2 foot bed, Toyota Tundra Crew Cab, an aluminium toolbox that is only as high as the side walls of the pickup bed. We live in Northern Arizona and really only use it for the A/C when we go down the hill and camp in the desert. The two generators fit in the toolbox as well as a 2 gal gas can.
oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Where do you store your generator? What is your set up for a generator and gas?
Not sure whether you meant storing while camping or storing in the off-season. We have a Yamaha 2400iSHC set to run on propane. We have taken it with us camping, in the back of our Honda Pilot, on 3 separate occasions in the past 6 years of camping.

Since the Yamaha runs on propane, we can run it right off the Escape quick connect and don't have to carry extra cans of gas for fuel. We've taken it on camp trips when we know it will be really hot, above 90° temperatures, in case we want to run the air conditioner. And we did exactly that on those 3 occasions, not even to charge the batteries. With solar power, we've never needed it. Oh, come to think of it, one time we used the Yamaha to power our microwave.

In the off-season, the store the Yamaha in the garage, ready for running our freezer, in the the event of a power outage. Fortunately, we've had no power outage for which we needed the generator.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhead View Post
We have a 5 &1/2 foot bed, Toyota Tundra Crew Cab, an aluminium toolbox that is only as high as the side walls of the pickup bed. We live in Northern Arizona and really only use it for the A/C when we go down the hill and camp in the desert. The two generators fit in the toolbox as well as a 2 gal gas can.
Oilhead: We have a Tundra Crew short bed. What hitch setup do you have? What size and manufacturer aluminum toolbox do you have? Thank you.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I personally don't use a generator with the Escape. I was camping at a Bluegrass festival this summer and my neighbor had one of those igloo dog house's in the back of his truck. I asked where is dog was. He responded that they didn't have a dog, that was to disguise his generator! They had a bit of black landscape cloth behind the door that just looked like the dark interior of the dog house. Both the dog house and generator were bolted to the bed of his truck. I thought that was pretty clever!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I personally don't use a generator with the Escape. I was camping at a Bluegrass festival this summer and my neighbor had one of those igloo dog house's in the back of his truck. I asked where is dog was. He responded that they didn't have a dog, that was to disguise his generator! They had a bit of black landscape cloth behind the door that just looked like the dark interior of the dog house. Both the dog house and generator were bolted to the bed of his truck. I thought that was pretty clever!
I like it, keeps the rain off it too.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The only generator I have is a 15K natural gas bolted to a slab behind the house. With an automatic, whole house transfer switch, I'm now set for winter blackouts (although I'm usually in Arizona for the winter these days!) I do have 320 Watts of solar on the roof & 160 watts in the back of the truck...
Hah hah we too have 10kw Generac generator for our ADK home...house transfer switch runs on propane. Gotta have juice to the water pump to flush the toilets! In the boonies one never knows when the power will be restored.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My Honda EU2000i is stored in my garage. I never take it camping, primarily because I avoid camping in locations where it is hot and humid, or where I cannot get utilities in order to use the A/C. The only time I use it is during extended power outages, in Florida, typically after a hurricane takes down the power grid and I end up sleeping in the trailer rather than the house (my main generator can run the water heater and well pump if done separately by manipulating breakers, but not the heat pump, which is not connected to the transfer switch). I have converted the Honda to run on propane and it works with the low pressure QD on the trailer or on any propane tank with a regulated hose and a QD female fitting. If I were staring down a tropical storm and decided to evacuate, I would remove the extra water hoses and propane fire pit from the toolbox in the front of the bed and transport the generator inside the toolbox as a previous poster has stated. Using propane allows the generator to run all night without refilling (a few nights, actually) and I would also cable the generator to some immovable object. I would, however, take 3 or 4 five gallon cans of gasoline to ensure my ability to return home should gasoline be in short supply after any such storm. Though I wasn't at home for Irma, I did ride out the storm at my nephew's house in Oak Ridge, TN, and I could go to my son's house in Huntsville, AL. However, my preference would be to only move a couple hundred miles to either side of the storms path so that I could get back in 3 or 4 hours.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We carry our Honda 2000i on our Escape 21 above our propane tanks on a shelf built by Orbital Machine Works. Beside the generator we carry a 2 1/2 gallon metal gas can. Everything is covered by an upside down 35 gallon tote that is held down with bungie cords. We used this setup with our Casita and I moved it to the Escape.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Rick, can you post a picture of your orbital set up?
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
Rick, can you post a picture of your orbital set up?
Here are a couple of pictures. Let me know if you want to see something specific.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6584.jpg   DSCN6585.jpg