Where does the dog sleep? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Where does the dog sleep?

We wouldn't think of camping without Dixie our 4 year old mini golden doodle. In our Casita she has a cozy den under the permanent bed. We are signed up for a new Escape 19 and were wondering whether Dixie will be happy in the cavernous space under the queen size bed in the 19. Does anyone have any experience traveling with a dog and where does it sleep?
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
All 9 lbs of her sleeps in the bed with us when traveling, curls up somewhere down by our feet so it's no big deal. She will not (mostly her choice) sleep in our bed at home, prefers hers.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #3

We make up the forward dinette into a bed for Baxter, and he alternates between that and the floor. Sleeping under the forward dinette is a little problematic, because of the table post mount, but sometimes he squeezes part way in. He's never been keen on sleeping under the main bed, which is the aft dinette, although there's lots of room.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
anyplace they want…..we have Franklin, a 85# black lab and Hershey, a 45# chocolate lab, both rescues and one is disabled. I have 2 dog beds I lay down on the floor.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Often on the bed, especially when cold and the temps inside is turned low. When hotter out he prefers the floor, and either on a mat or not, but then with 3/8" of cork, anywhere on the floor would be warm.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Murphy-the-dog sleeps under our 17b bed (we have a dog bed down there for him) or on one of the front dinette cushions. Occasionally, if there is lightening, he will want to be close to us and sleeps on the bed.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sleeps on the bed. Has to be lifted up and down due to arthritis.
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I found a dog bed that fits nicely in our 19's doorway area, and that's her spot. During the day the dog bed slides on edge in front of the forward table pillar, or outside. If the alarm doesn't wake my wife, the dog has the most amazing stealth moves to slink up onto the foot of the bed undetected.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
On cold nights Ben is better than a hot water bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
ben03a.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

Our last dog was Ben too. We had like the name for a kid, but Ben Bennett did not ring well though. But, it worked fine for a dog.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
If you're still in the design stage, Reace used flush-mounted table leg supports for our 19' which, when the supports are not in place, provide a great space for a dog bed.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We all know about cats. It is well documented (some might say to the point of nausea) that cats take certain rights for granted. Cats believe they are independent, privileged beings whose masters serve them.

No such pretension is ever made, it seems, for dogs. There may be exceptions to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Ben06.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
If you're still in the design stage, Reace used flush-mounted table leg supports for our 19' which, when the supports are not in place, provide a great space for a dog bed.
like to see some pictures of those, please
Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Sadly, when we eventually we go camping in our Escape, our wonderful Lab cross, Sophie, will sleep near home at our friend's farm, where she has stayed many times while we have done home exchanges. We have never boarded her at a commercial kennel, and never will.

She's 12 years old and a bit arthritic, and can no longer keep up in comfort on hikes. Our main reason for getting a trailer is to use it as a base from which to hike the national parks on both sides of the border. We've never taken her hiking on trails where contact with wildlife is likely. She's used to exploring the woods and the beach near our home freely, going on-leash only when other people and their pets come into view. From experience we know that, unlike some dogs, she has never been comfortable traveling far in our SUV.

We can't imagine leaving Sophie in the Escape while we go off on a multi-hour hike. Also, we're not sure how well she would adapt to the limitations on her explorations, and the "doggie politics", at campgrounds.

Fortunately, she loves hanging out with farmer Judy, Tam the Border Collie, the horses and sheep, and the dog-friendly cat at the farm. We will be sorry to be separated from her for up to a month, but we'll know she's living happily and stress-free at her very familiar second home.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #15

If you have a good dog sitter, there is nothing wrong with leaving them behind. With most of our camping being boondocking, it is not even a question to bring Jasper along, but when we go trekking on a vacation type trip, and going to lots of places where dogs aren't allowed, I have no reservations at all about leaving him behind with one of my brothers. I know he gets his daily 1 hr+ walk, gets lots of love and attention, and gets to play with my brothers dogs.

I think it is harder on the skin parents separation wise, than it is on the furkid.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I hate leaving my dog behind, the main reason I will limit my air travel in the future. People tell me I am crazy, but I don't care, love my dog that much, and their lives are so short...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Nothing to do with where the dog sleeps, but I agree with Jim's comments on leaving the dog in the good care of others. I think our dog's kennel visits (to only one specific longtime trusted kennel) and occasional days in a "doggie daycare" are just his version of vacation trips to a resort.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Here is where my dog sleeps in the "Suite Escape" I try to encourage him to stay away from the bathroom door at night!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01669.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
This discussion makes me think that it would be nice to have a running post where people could highlight the pros and cons of campsites they've visited with their pets. Example, many CA State Parks have certain trails which welcome dogs; however, some of the more interesting sights have restrictions on bringing Fido along. While we plan on researching campsites/parks to see where our two pups are welcome, it would be helpful to get the skinny from people who've been to the various places and how they've dealt with issues (e.g., leaving them in the trailer, most dog-friendly/unfriendly sights, etc.).
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #20

I've love to hear about parks where dogs are welcome on the trails and the beaches. Unfortunately, most California State Parks aren't in that category. We've found some KOA's that have nice dog runs (Manchester comes to mind) and La Pine in Oregon also, but by and large it's stay away from the trails with pup. Even last year in Oregon we couldn't have Baxter on the beach even on a lead because it was snowy plover nesting season.