Where to look for mildew/mold - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Is it possible there's water under the floor and trapped in the pontoons because the holes are plugged?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Yea, I did some research and am very concerned about using an ozone machine, especially in such a small space. We'll do everything else we can first. If we use one it would be for only a short time and may or may not even be effective. Just thought it might be a solution to places we can not even access.

Yes, I did click the 'remember me', maybe today it will remember me!
I have an ozone generator that I bought to reduce odors in my old farmhouse and used in my parents old house to get rid of cat odor. It works pretty well. There is a timer so you could set it up and it would run a few hours and shut down. We would come back the next day and air out. It really dissapate s before that. Works best in enclosed area like a trailer. I also used in a used car to reduce smoker odor. I understand that you want to be conservative as too much use can attack plastic and rubber. As they say YRMV.

You definitely want to be out of trailer when running. Ozone is very short lived.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
FWIW, we run a dehumidifier in our camper when it is not in use. And it is stored under a carport.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
We had a small leak when it rained hard in our shower vent. Not sure if you have a similar vent in your 17. Our 19 trailer has rivets on the outside exposed top of the vent and the centre most rivet in the front must have worked loose or created a small space in the plastic. I covered all the rivets with Sikaflex and have no more problems.
Same problem and same solution with our Casita.
I would check all the caulk joints on the trailer before ripping the shower stall out. Maybe making a ton of work or possible damage to the trailer for no gain. One of the local RV dealers has a spray booth for washing trailers and for finding leaks.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #25

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
I can (barely) see into the space and it does look like possible white mold on the stop of the stall, but when I touch it it is dry, so may be some glue, really hard to tell with so little viewing access. It may be removing the wall is the only way to really tell what is going on.
while not inexpensive they make inspection cameras similar to this link that may make it easier to see behind things and perhaps without the need for major removal
https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...era-61839.html
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I replaced the bath vent on my 2005 17b and it is a direct replacement with the Heng 9" vent which is available if you need a new one.
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-17511-C...ng+rv+vent+lid

I would highly recommend if you do replace it you reinforce with 1by around the opening between the shells and use screws into the new wood frame.
Also here
http://www.adventurerv.net/hengs-non...source=Froogle
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #27
PJ

Trailer: Escape 17' 2005 "Turtle"
Thank you all for suggestions. I've had heat going for 5 hours in shower, aimed at the space above the stall, it's not drying, want to tear out the little strip of foam there, but can't reach much of it and it's glued down, not sure of it's purpose anyway and it's holding the moisture.

Greg your suggestion sent me searching for a vent my husband bought a few years ago and didn't think it would fit, at the time no leak concerns but the handle was getting funky. It's the same one, so we have that, though our hole is a little bigger than recommended hole, it will work. Your idea of 1" framing is excellent, no wonder there are problems with it, it's just bolted to the fiberglass, something I'm guessing has changed since 2005 models. (of course I said...."if you had changed it then...." but what ifs aren't very helpful at this point.)

The digital camera is something we thought of, might consider it, but not sure it would reach where we have to look, which is across top of shower stall and down the wall by the stove top, above the heater, a long view.

"He who would travel happily must travel light.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Big fan of Occam's razor. Start with the simplest solution first! Good luck!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #29
PJ

But have to know the problem to determine the simplist solution, and so far THAT has been anything but simple! Do you think Occam had a hidden mold issue....maybe in his donkey cart, or his simple monk's quarters?

Luck is what we need now, thanks!

Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
The small vent is near impossible to replace, on the 2005 it is smaller than on later models. May have to cut a bigger opening and put in a larger vent.
I'm not certain your vent is smaller than other models. Are you aware of the bath fan upgrade that fits the 9" vent? Kit is ordered from Escape.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-17b-7935.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
That white powdery stuff is most likely the fiberglass dust from when ETI cut in the vent. I had to dig into ours this morning when I just discovered the vent was leaking. Like you I couldn't figure out the mildew smell after cleaning, flushing, and all the other suggestions. Turns out the bathroom mat/rug was soaking wet from 12 hrs. of rain last night and I hope that's the cause of the smell the past few weeks. I stuck my hand in between the the shower stall liner and exterior roof skin around the vent and didn't feel any moisture so I'm hoping all is OK once I seal the vent leak.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #32
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
That white powdery stuff is most likely the fiberglass dust from when ETI cut in the vent. I had to dig into ours this morning when I just discovered the vent was leaking. Like you I couldn't figure out the mildew smell after cleaning, flushing, and all the other suggestions. Turns out the bathroom mat/rug was soaking wet from 12 hrs. of rain last night and I hope that's the cause of the smell the past few weeks. I stuck my hand in between the the shower stall liner and exterior roof skin around the vent and didn't feel any moisture so I'm hoping all is OK once I seal the vent leak.
Good luck! My husband said we're in parallel universes! Except sounds like your vent leak went straight down, a better flow, especially in the shower stall! Our leak definitely flowed between liner and trailer roof, it's dried out finally as far as I can put my hand, but has you found out, you can't get very far in.

The stuff I can see doesn't look, or feel like dust, but it might be in the fiberglass, except there is more of it around the black vent pipe, but that's too far in to see much, I tried a rag on a thin stick, it did not pick up anything. A mystery.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #33
PJ

So the smell, after being very bad yesterday while I was running intense heat into cavity above shower stall, has disappated, or so it seems. So if it was from that leak, and drying got rid of it, it doesn't mean the actual mold is gone and if we close the gap, replacing the vent, it could still smell again, even from just air moisture that would get in. I thought to spray in a borax solution, and redry, but it would be hard to get it all the way back, or thoroughly saturate the area, especially the underside of roof, which is where I see the unknown white whatever.

Anyone wiser than me about mold have any ideas? ( living where I do, and having mold in our house, I should be very mold wise, I think I try to ignore it, it's so omnipresent!)

Tags
mildew, mold