Where to store extra propane tank on E19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Where to store extra propane tank on E19?

Does anyone have any ideas on where to store an extra propane tank for a BBQ, fire pit, and outdoor stove on an E19? Does it fit in the front storage bin? Perhhaps a smaller 10lbs tank would fit there? Any other ideas? I am hesitant to try to take the regulators off my BBQ, fire pit, and outdoor stove and use the low-pressure quick connect. Thanks
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I carry mine in my truck bed....otherwise I believe a smaller 10lb will fit in the front box. There is always the green bottles which I used for many years.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
This is “kind of” an answer. On our 19 the batteries were in the front box. I assume they are on yours too? They take up quite a bit of box floor space so I’m not sure if the 10 lb vertical bottle has room to the side of the batteries? But on our 21 there are no batteries in the box and after we got the 21 I bought a 10lb vertical style cylinder. Then I used a small plastic bucket that previously contained Oreck rug cleaning powder. I screwed through the bottom with four short screws and folded up several shop towels ( paper) places them in the bottom of the bucket and set the bottle in the bucket. It fits tight, does not rattle or get dinged up and the lid on the 21 closes with clearance. It’s worked well for the 2018 and 2019 seasons for us. Those little suckers are pricey though and you’ll want to take it to a place and get it refilled. Don’t loan the cylinder to someone who might inadvertently take it to a trade in place . I could see that happening. It sure beats those throw-away bottles.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on where to store an extra propane tank for a BBQ, fire pit, and outdoor stove on an E19? Does it fit in the front storage bin? Perhhaps a smaller 10lbs tank would fit there? Any other ideas? I am hesitant to try to take the regulators off my BBQ, fire pit, and outdoor stove and use the low-pressure quick connect. Thanks
Hi: Jordan... We only use the "Quick connect" for our grille. 125 psi direct vs. 1/2 psi off the quick connect I think is better IMHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150831_175220.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I can't answer the issue on where to carry an extra bottle on the 19 as I never did that in over 6 years of owning it. I am curious as to why you are hesitant to use the LP QC, as I have converted to it for 10 years now and just love it, running one or two of my BBQ, stove ore firepit at a time off it.

I would suggest carrying the bottle in the tow somehow if you do go this way. For me, I carry enough extra stuff that I am glad to shed some weight where I can.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments all - this forum is great. I would prefer to use the quick-connect, but am concerned about doing adaptations required for my BBQ and fire pit. But perhaps it isn't too hard. Does anyone (Jim?) know how long of a quick connect hose you can use for a fire pit if wanted it a ways away from the trailer?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Buy one of those folding baskets, put some anti slip mat under it. Guarantee it’s not going anywhere. We do this with our large water jug. When you set up the campsite, it’s going outside until you pack up to leave.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I've always carried a one gallon propane tank to use with our grill. It lasts quite a while when just used for grilling, can be refilled just like the big bottles, and the small size makes it easy to store and carry anywhere in our campsite.

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2.../dp/B000SKX63U
Attached Thumbnails
worthington-pro-grade-propane-tanks-281149-64_1000.jpg  
Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the comments all - this forum is great. I would prefer to use the quick-connect, but am concerned about doing adaptations required for my BBQ and fire pit. But perhaps it isn't too hard. Does anyone (Jim?) know how long of a quick connect hose you can use for a fire pit if wanted it a ways away from the trailer?
I carry one 10' one 12' and one 3' hose along with a connector to hook up two lines if I wish. I also have been carrying a hose with a regulator on it for long distance use from the trailer using one of the trailer propane bottles, but have never needed is.

Removing the appliance regulator on many appliances is easy to do, and then add a male LP connector, I do this on a short hose with a couple of my appliances. There are some stoves and BBQs where this is impossible, but also many that will work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

Thanks - I will try to figure out the QC use in the first instance, particularly if you're able to run 20 feet from the trailer.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When encamped at numerous US Forest Service sites there are permanent picnic tables sometimes located a short distance from the camper but part of the campsite. I like to take the grill or camp stove over to the table with whatever I’m cooking and a couple bottles of beer. I cook our dinner there and we eat on the table. When all finished I put things away or switch over to the campfire in a can. We have had the quick connects on both of our Escapes and I sometimes use it under the awning. It only takes a minute to change the fitting on the campfire. I’ve often taken the portable campfire, hose and propane tank to an adjacent campsite to a camper without a quick attach setup. Different strokes for different folks. The campfire in a can in the big clam on a cool rainy afternoon feels pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
C3AE1EB4-91B3-4932-AEB5-6ABE507BD0E5a.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We carry the same one pound tank as David Murphy. Fits nicely in our 19 front storage box. I also purchased a nice stainless steel braided propane hose to connect to our Weber Q grill.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A gallon of propane provides 91,000 btus, a fire pit uses something like 50,000 btu's an hour on high. The op is going to be refilling that puppy pretty often.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you don't want to convert appliances, you can still avoid carrying an extra propane tank by adding a tee adapter between the tank and the hose to the regulator. You can then run an extension hose to the appliance.

A sample tee fitting:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-90...9133/202245541
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you don't want to convert appliances, you can still avoid carrying an extra propane tank by adding a tee adapter between the tank and the hose to the regulator. You can then run an extension hose to the appliance.

A sample tee fitting:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-90...9133/202245541
I did this for years before getting an Escape. Way better than the green bottles or a spare larger one but still not as nice and convenient as a LP QC, as you now have a line coming from the bottle storage area and need to access it, and darn it, it seemed to be always connected to the bottle that was out of fuel.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Extension hoses to the tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... Way better than the green bottles or a spare larger one but still not as nice and convenient as a LP QC, as you now have a line coming from the bottle storage area and need to access it, and darn it, it seemed to be always connected to the bottle that was out of fuel.
That's certainly an annoyance . It can be lessened by having two tees (one on each tank), but it's still more hardware to buy, and you still have to think about which one to connect to.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Recommend following the RV propane safety standards

Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas on where to store an extra propane tank for a BBQ, fire pit, and outdoor stove on an E19?
If on the trailer, see below.

For Canadian owners, see CSA Z240.4.2-14, "Installation requirements for propane appliances and equipment in recreational vehicles", specifically Section 6, "Location of propane systems". It is quite similar, but not exactly the same, to the US and NFPA information below.

For US owners, from NFPA 1192: 2018, "Standard on Recreational Vehicles".

"5.2.3 Location of Propane Containers.
5.2.3.1 Propane containers that do not meet the provisions of 5.2.3.2 shall not be installed, nor shall provisions be made for installing or storing any propane containers, even temporarily, inside any recreational vehicle.
5.2.3.2 New propane cylinders that have never contained propane and are supplied as original equipment shall be permitted to be transported inside the vehicle.
5.2.3.3 Propane containers with their control valves shall be installed in compliance with one of the following:
(1) Mounted in a recess or compartment, other than on the roof, that is vapor resistant to the inside of the recreational vehicle
(2) Mounted on the tongue or A-frame of a travel or camping trailer or forward of the front bulkhead below the overhang of a fifth-wheel trailer and not lower than the bottom of the trailer frame
(3) Mounted on the chassis or to the floor of a motorhome or chassis-mount camper, provided neither the tank nor its support is located in front of the front axle, as follows:
(a) Tanks mounted between the front and rear axles shall be installed not lower than the front axle height.
(b) Tanks mounted behind the rear axle of a motorhome or chassis-mount camper shall be installed in such a manner that the bottom of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower than either the rear axle height (excluding the differential) or any section of the frame immediately to the rear of the tank, whichever is higher.
(c) All clearances shall be determined from the bottom of the tank or from the lowest fitting, support, or attachment on the tank or tank housing, whichever is lower when all axles are loaded to their gross axle weight rating.
(4) Mounted on the chassis or to the floor of a travel trailer or fifth-wheel trailer as follows:
(a) Tanks mounted behind the rear axle of a travel trailer or fifth-wheel trailer shall be installed in such a manner that the bottom of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower than either the rear axle(s) height or the lowest section of the frame to the rear of the tank, whichever is higher.
(b) Tanks mounted forward of the rear axle(s) shall be installed in such a manner that the bottom of the tank and any connection thereto shall not be lower than the lowest section of the frame in front of the tank.
5.2.3.4 Containers shall not be mounted on the exterior of the rear wall or the rear bumper of the vehicle."

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21
Regulators for the Blackstone 17” griddle are removed for each short term use. No tools needed. I’m not sure about the Coleman propane stove, or my BBQ. Getting hose adapters for various appliances, might take some head scratching.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A gallon of propane provides 91,000 btus, a fire pit uses something like 50,000 btu's an hour on high. The op is going to be refilling that puppy pretty often.
Your right, Don't put it on full blast.
On the lowest setting, which is still nice for a chilly night and ambiance it can burn for at least 11 hours. Three or four nights worth for us.