Which Bike Rack? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Which Bike Rack?

For those of you who have used bike racks on the back of your trailers, what did you use? Even if you haven't used one on the trailer, but have on hitches before, what ones do you like? The main concern is extending past the tire, especially when the rack is folded up without the bikes on it.

I want quality, and don't mind spending a bit to get a good one if needed. I went to a local rack shock and one I really liked by Küat with a built-in bike stand for repairs was over $700. I did find it at etrailer.com for $530. I was surprised that many of the better ones seemed to be nearing the $400 mark, though not really sure what I expected either. There are a couple at, or around, the $200, but are they really worth it?

I definitely want a platform style rack, not one that hangs bikes from the frame. As well, I would prefer one that locks down on the front tire as opposed to the frame, but this is not a deal maker/breaker.

I have looked at a few different ones, and only Küat seens to have their dimensions listed, and their offerings would work I think, but would not allow the rack to fold up.

I know I can get a 7" extension, as this seems to be the shortest available. In hind sight I wish I had of had my receiver on the trailer installed so it extends out another 4" or so from the bumper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #2

Re: Which Bike Rack?

I recently ordered and received the Swagman XC 2 bike carrier from Etrailer for $160.95. I haven't used it yet but did mount it on our 5.0 and the clearance is fine and will work well. I did some research ahead of time and I am pleased with the quality and how solidly it will hold the bikes. It is a platform style with locking bars that come down on the frame of each bike to secure it. Etrailer has an instructional video to show how it's mounted and used.

Jerry
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

I use the Swagman XC 2 that JerryS mentioned on my 19. I posted some pictures of it mounted on the trailer in an earlier thread. http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...17578#msg17578
Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Ditto the Swagman. I have used this model on a Jeep Cherokee for a couple of years, now. It is easy to load and provides a solid platform to carry the bikes. Looks like I will be able to use it on an Escape 15B when I get around to buying one.
Chatt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the input.

That rack is $154 locally at Mountain Equipment Coop. I will go have a look at it. I was kinda looking for one that tilts of of the way of the hatch on the Pilot, but in all likelihood, it would rarely be mounted there, and not likely for long trips anyway.

Still looking for a new bike too. Contemplating a full suspension Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. My aging body could use some good suspension for blasting some of those rough single tracks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
JCZ

Does anybody know of a two bike rack that will mount behind the spare tire/wheel with a minamum load weight of at least 125 lbs?

The wife and I are talking about getting a couple of Hebb Electroglides. Had an opportunity to ride them a couple of weeks ago and have done a bit of research since then and are impressed with them.

I seem to not have a problem riding my mountain bike along the trails fifteen or twenty miles out......it's getting back that kills me....especially when there's hills involved. :P

http://www.hebbebikes.com/pdf/HEBBca...Black%20v4.pdf
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

If you are interested in a swing out hitch-mounted bike carrier, there is one available from Stowaway:

http://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-bike-racks.aspx

It might extend enough to clear the spare tire.
Chatt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: No more Escape 21

JCZ,

Have you considered the effect on your tongue weight?

On my Escape 19, I carry two bikes that weight a total of 66.4 pounds and the Thule rack is 23.1 pounds or a total of 89.5 pounds. The tongue weight is reduced by 40 pounds when carrying the bikes.

Assuming your bike rack is the same weight as mine and with 125 pounds of bike, total 148.1 pounds, by extension, your tongue would be reduced by some 66 pounds. Would that still keep you in the 10-15% tongue weight range?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick
JCZ,

Have you considered the effect on your tongue weight?

On my Escape 19, I carry two bikes that weight a total of 66.4 pounds and the Thule rack is 23.1 pounds or a total of 89.5 pounds. The tongue weight is reduced by 40 pounds when carrying the bikes.

Assuming your bike rack is the same weight as mine and with 125 pounds of bike, total 148.1 pounds, by extension, your tongue would be reduced by some 66 pounds. Would that still keep you in the 10-15% tongue weight range?
That's certainly something to consider.....that I hadn't. I'm having so many modifications done that I was kind of concerned about what I'm doing overall with the weight. I guess the heaviest single modification would be the bank of drawers in the cabinet just to the right as you enter the door. Of course in that location, it should help offset the weight on the bike rack.....at least somewhat. Maybe a sack of concrete sealed in a Hefty Trash bag up under the bed.

Thanks for the thought......I'll certainly keep it in mind when considering these bikes. My first goal would be to get the trailer loaded and then all weighed out.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Jim,
Did you ever settle on a bike rack? If so what did you go with?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

I went with the Swagman G2. While a well built rack, I would not recommend it. Two things I don't like about it are; 1. The rack I bought uses a sleeve to adapt the 1 1/4" into the 2" receiver, and is a bit wobbly even with the Anti-Wobble Hitch Pin. I would only buy one built for 2" as they carrier frame is WAY more rigid. 2. I would not buy one that has the support post going over the frame, as even with the padding on it, it wears hard on the paint on the bike, and I just don't feel good hooking my good carbon fibre MTB on it at all, and pad the crap out of the frame. On my next one, it will have the bike supported with a brace to the front wheel.

Swagman has a bunch of new offerings this year that look real good. I just don't want to mess around with the potential of damaged a bike that is worth WAY more than the rack is, even if I buy a more expensive one.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Get the one that supports the wheels, do some mods so they don't fall off and you're good. The other ones suck.. I have one. yuk..
The reason is all the crossbars are all over the place different angles and heights but the wheels stay on the level. Like me you won't have to buy a second unit.