Whoops! Ripped AC off Trailer. Repair questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 01:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Whoops! Ripped AC off Trailer. Repair questions

Well... Long story short. close encounter with a low hanging ibeam on a parking lot roof... We have a new "moon roof" over our bed... The AC is in pieces in the back of the tow vehicle. A rubber storage bin lid is duct taped over the hold in the roof.

It is interesting to see the layers of wood between fiberglass and padding that makes up the roof. But I'd rather have an AC unit there. It appears that other than stripping the screws, and minor scratching, there is no damage to the trailer itself (how did that magic happen?)

So... I'm getting a longish list of repairs to be done. Where do I go? I'm not seeing great reviews of Campingworld. My handy sweety is going in for surgery so wo't be doing the work. boat places? other RV places? (We are in Portland Oregon)

What questions do I ask to determine if they are folks I want touching our home?!?

(other repair issues: the left rail for the top drawer under the stove came loose from the main cabinet/back wall. The front window-cover doesn't open. The fuse box door broke off, the hitchlock sticks badly (takes babying and wacking on it to lock it every time.), the bathroom door doesn't latch.)

Any hints?
Amy
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Sorry to hear about the AC.

Each of the items you mention are within the range of a home repair.

Could I suggest that you treat them more individually and take a photo of one existing situation and post it. I'm sure at some of the items can be repaired at home.

Re: front window awning. There's a difference between won't open and hard to open. At times ours is difficult to open to the point where it seems that I might not be able to open it. If both the latches turn 90* I'd very gently use a screwdriver or flat pry bar to see if one side can start to open. Once one side opens a bit the other side can usually be pulled open. If you get it open give the gasket a good cleaning and wipe it with a bar of soap and see if it now opens easily.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I definitely think posting separate threads about each issue would be preferable. It would be much less confusing to respond to them that way, since they seem entirely unrelated to each other. Even if you take the trailer to one shop to fix them all, they are separate issues to understand... and you don't likely need to pay anyone to fix some of them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dang, 2nd happening in 2 months.....are roofs getting shorter or are we growing?
Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Are you back in Portland now with the trailer? Check out Curtis trailers over off 102nd and Powell. Good people, good work, reasonable prices. They'll be able to help you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Sorry to hear about your predicament. Have you considered making a run to ETI for repairs as they are not that far away.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'd second calling ETI and make appt for AC replacement with them, ur too close. You could go over the other stuff with them and they can probably fix all ur issues while doing the AC.

Just one issue on the bathroom door not latching you loosen the screws on the catch and adjust until it will latch. The hinges on the bathroom doors are also a bit light for the door, and the door will sag down some over time. If you can't adjust the latch enough to catch again you have to very carefully lift the door towards the ceiling and bend the hinges and door back to its original position until the latch will engage again.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Are you back in Portland now with the trailer? Check out Curtis trailers over off 102nd and Powell. Good people, good work, reasonable prices. They'll be able to help you.
I've used the Curtis branch on Tualatin Valley Hwy in Beaverton a couple times with good results, too.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Gonna be home in three hours! The duct taped lid is still keeping us warm and dry. Lol.

Curtis is near by! Thank you!!!

Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote