Why can I not use the inverter without shutting off the battery switch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0
Why can I not use the inverter without shutting off the battery switch?

According to the inverter instruction I have to shut off the battery switch to use the inverter? When we had an inverter in our Westfalia every thing worked fine when we used it, am I miss reading the instructions? Help!!!
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 19'
I don't have much technical knowledge, but since no one's answered yet I'll weigh in.

The inverter takes 12-volt DC power from your RV batteries and changes it to 120-volt AC, so it seems unlikely that you would have to shut off the battery switch. You're supposed to remove any loads before powering on/off inverter.

I suppose you've tried inverter without results, so you're troubleshooting? Are you pushing the remote control on/off button? Is the inverter power switch on? I don't know if all inverters with remote controls require the base unit powered on, but some require it on in order for the remote control to function.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
According to the inverter instruction I have to shut off the battery switch to use the inverter? When we had an inverter in our Westfalia every thing worked fine when we used it, am I miss reading the instructions? Help!!!
Is your inverter ETI installed? And do you have the ETI installed transfer switch?
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
My inverter warns about having the output plugged into the 110 lines while connected to shore power. Ditto that it wouldn't make sense to turn off the battery switch. 12 volt power to my inverter goes first to the battery switch and then on to inverter.

You can avoid accidentally "back feeding" with a transfer switch or using a double pole, double throw switch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape
The 1000W Samlex inverter installed by ETI in our 2013 Escape 19 does not have the transfer switch but does have dedicated 120V outlets independent of shore power 120V. The wiring associated with the inverter is independent and does not go through the 12 power cutoff switch (4 gauge cables). The inverter works with the 12V power switch turned off.The manual suggests turning off 12V power to other devices so the inverter can draw the full 12V battery load.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #6

Thank you all for chiming in, it is much appreciated. My system is installed by ETI and including the transfer switch, it is the 1500 watt model. I guess I'll be consulting with ETI over this as I don't want to damage anything. I have to get in touch with them about 4.3 fridge baffle as well even though we haven't been camping this summer since the rally in Osoyoos (we're waiting to make our escape after labour day). In the mean while I'll pour over the manuals and consider what I've read hear.
Thanks Folks
Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #7

I also have the ETI 1500 watt inverter and transfer switch. You do not have to turn ANYTHING off to use the inverter. I just turn it on, use it, and turn it off using the remote switch with the display graph.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi Jamman,
Did you installed a seperate remote switch yourself? I believed that I have the same set up as yours. ETI installed a 1500 watt inverter, transfer swith, a gray Siemens breaker box, and a
Go power 30 amp PWM digital solar controller mounted in the cabinet above the sink. I did not find a remote switch. How do you operate the inverter? Is it just use the on and off switch on the inverter box. I received no oorientation on the inverter. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

In the pile of manuals you got from ETI there should be one for the inverter and the remote. If not, contact ETI.

There should be a remote switch for the inverter beside/near the WFCO power distribution panel under the driver side dinette. The remote looks like this: SSW-R1-12B Pure Sine Wave Inveter Remote control | SSW-R1-12B

The manuals for the inverter and remote can be found on the above site.

Just turn it on, wait 1-2 minutes and you should have power. (If you have the microwave, the timer will light up) .When done, turn it off.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hi Jamman,
Did you installed a seperate remote switch yourself? I believed that I have the same set up as yours. ETI installed a 1500 watt inverter, transfer swith, a gray Siemens breaker box, and a
Go power 30 amp PWM digital solar controller mounted in the cabinet above the sink. I did not find a remote switch. How do you operate the inverter? Is it just use the on and off switch on the inverter box. I received no oorientation on the inverter. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Tonny LR

Sorry Tonny LR, I'm not Jamman. Sounds like you have the optional automatic transfer switch that includes all outlets? The Samlex ssw-1500-12A inverter that ETI uses comes with a remote on/off switch included from Samlex. Or, at least, it did, and the Samlex website still says it does. I attached a picture of the remote from the Samlex website. It's about 4x3". Not sure where the remote would be located in your trailer. Either in cabinet above the sink, or under the front dinette driver side, I would guess.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

Hello jamie beers,
Thanks for the response. I have limited electrical knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated. According to Tammy from ETI, I have the automatic transfer switch that includes all outlets.I founf out from this forum that I did not have the remote control (SSW-R!-12B) for my 1500 watts inverter per the picture you posted. I am very confused about the inverter operation system. Do I need a remote control for the inverter or not? If I do, why did ETI install it?
Since I don't have the remote control, do I switch on/off the inverter by using the i/o switch on the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Hello jamman,
Thanks for the info. I am positive that I don't the samlex remote control installed by ETI anywhere in the trailer. I will call Reace for more inverter operation instructions.

Tonny LR
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello jamie beers,
Thanks for the response. I have limited electrical knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated. According to Tammy from ETI, I have the automatic transfer switch that includes all outlets.I founf out from this forum that I did not have the remote control (SSW-R!-12B) for my 1500 watts inverter per the picture you posted. I am very confused about the inverter operation system. Do I need a remote control for the inverter or not? If I do, why did ETI install it?
Since I don't have the remote control, do I switch on/off the inverter by using the i/o switch on the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
You do not need the remote control to operate the inverter. Without the remote control, you turn the inverter on/off at the inverter itself - which probably means just lifting up the front driver side bench to access the inverter. The remote control is essentially a convenience feature that puts the on/off switch in a spot where you can turn the inverter on/off without lifting the bench seat. It's probably reasonable to turn the inverter off when you're not using it, because when "idling" it will use up a small amount of battery power.

I don't have any experience with the SSW-1500-12A inverter ETI uses. I just assumed that since the manufacturer provides a remote (according to the Samlex website) that ETI would install it. And it sounds like Jamman has the remote. Perhaps this would be a question for Reace.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #14

Hello jamie beers,
You are correct that I don't need the remote control to operate the inverter, but the samlex remote control, if it is part of the whole package, offers the easy access and troubleshooting guide to the inverter. I would like to have it. Per samlex website, the inverter layout is small and has a 10 ft. length of Cat 5, Straight, Networking Cable with 8P8C (8 Position, 8 Conductor) Modular Plugs (RJ-45) on either ends . Plug one end of the cable to the receptacle on the Remote Control. I should be able to install it. I guess that Rece is in a Rally this weekend. I will contact him next week to ask what he suggests. Thank you for all your help.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #15

Correction!
I rechecked the trailer and looked for the Samlex Remote control. It is there. I did not know what the display device is for before because I was not paying attetion and did not have a copy of the remote control manual. A lesson learned. Thanks for everyone's help.
I am very gratefull to have this forum's support.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #16

Great, just out of curiousity, where is the remote located?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #17

On the driver side next to the surge protector display. It looks exactly the same as the picture posted by you. I do have one more question. The inverter switch was in the "off" position when I received the trailer from the ETI. Should it be kept in the "on" position if I want to use the remote control to operate the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
On the driver side next to the surge protector display. It looks exactly the same as the picture posted by you. I do have one more question. The inverter switch was in the "off" position when I received the trailer from the ETI. Should it be kept in the "on" position if I want to use the remote control to operate the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
That'd be a YES. Here's a snip from the manual:

NOTE:
For the Remote Control to operate, the ON/OFF Switch on the inverter
is required to be in ON condition to activate the control circuitry for
the Remote Control.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #19

rbryan4,
Thank you for the information. I am still learning the solar system and the inverter. They are completely new to me. I appreciated the support.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #20

I've kept following the discussion and thank you all!