Why can I not use the inverter without shutting off the battery switch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello jamie beers,
Thanks for the response. I have limited electrical knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated. According to Tammy from ETI, I have the automatic transfer switch that includes all outlets.I founf out from this forum that I did not have the remote control (SSW-R!-12B) for my 1500 watts inverter per the picture you posted. I am very confused about the inverter operation system. Do I need a remote control for the inverter or not? If I do, why did ETI install it?
Since I don't have the remote control, do I switch on/off the inverter by using the i/o switch on the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #12

Hello jamman,
Thanks for the info. I am positive that I don't the samlex remote control installed by ETI anywhere in the trailer. I will call Reace for more inverter operation instructions.

Tonny LR

Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello jamie beers,
Thanks for the response. I have limited electrical knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated. According to Tammy from ETI, I have the automatic transfer switch that includes all outlets.I founf out from this forum that I did not have the remote control (SSW-R!-12B) for my 1500 watts inverter per the picture you posted. I am very confused about the inverter operation system. Do I need a remote control for the inverter or not? If I do, why did ETI install it?
Since I don't have the remote control, do I switch on/off the inverter by using the i/o switch on the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
You do not need the remote control to operate the inverter. Without the remote control, you turn the inverter on/off at the inverter itself - which probably means just lifting up the front driver side bench to access the inverter. The remote control is essentially a convenience feature that puts the on/off switch in a spot where you can turn the inverter on/off without lifting the bench seat. It's probably reasonable to turn the inverter off when you're not using it, because when "idling" it will use up a small amount of battery power.

I don't have any experience with the SSW-1500-12A inverter ETI uses. I just assumed that since the manufacturer provides a remote (according to the Samlex website) that ETI would install it. And it sounds like Jamman has the remote. Perhaps this would be a question for Reace.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #14

Hello jamie beers,
You are correct that I don't need the remote control to operate the inverter, but the samlex remote control, if it is part of the whole package, offers the easy access and troubleshooting guide to the inverter. I would like to have it. Per samlex website, the inverter layout is small and has a 10 ft. length of Cat 5, Straight, Networking Cable with 8P8C (8 Position, 8 Conductor) Modular Plugs (RJ-45) on either ends . Plug one end of the cable to the receptacle on the Remote Control. I should be able to install it. I guess that Rece is in a Rally this weekend. I will contact him next week to ask what he suggests. Thank you for all your help.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #15

Correction!
I rechecked the trailer and looked for the Samlex Remote control. It is there. I did not know what the display device is for before because I was not paying attetion and did not have a copy of the remote control manual. A lesson learned. Thanks for everyone's help.
I am very gratefull to have this forum's support.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 19'
Great, just out of curiousity, where is the remote located?
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #17

On the driver side next to the surge protector display. It looks exactly the same as the picture posted by you. I do have one more question. The inverter switch was in the "off" position when I received the trailer from the ETI. Should it be kept in the "on" position if I want to use the remote control to operate the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
On the driver side next to the surge protector display. It looks exactly the same as the picture posted by you. I do have one more question. The inverter switch was in the "off" position when I received the trailer from the ETI. Should it be kept in the "on" position if I want to use the remote control to operate the inverter. Thanks.

Tonny LR
That'd be a YES. Here's a snip from the manual:

NOTE:
For the Remote Control to operate, the ON/OFF Switch on the inverter
is required to be in ON condition to activate the control circuitry for
the Remote Control.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #19

rbryan4,
Thank you for the information. I am still learning the solar system and the inverter. They are completely new to me. I appreciated the support.

Tonny LR
Old 07-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0
I've kept following the discussion and thank you all!

Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote