Why Escape -- and not Casita, or Scamp, or something else? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
In my opinion, you usually get more of your investment back when you buy a quality (and in the Escape case - unique) product. I always look at cost of ownership as opposed to price. In addition to getting more of your investment back "in the end," you also get to enjoy the many unique features of the Escape trailer. This is our 1st travel trailer, but I've surmised from reading the posts that there is a lot of time and money spent dealing with water leaks and other maintenance in owning a sticky that we don't expect to encounter in the well built Escape trailer.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We tend to keep our things till they fall apart or we lose interest so I wanted a travel trailer that would last. Currently have a hybrid (tented bunks) stick trailer, many water intrusion problems but it still does what we bought it for so I keep up with the repairs and maint. Long term plans are for traveling as opposed to camping in retirement, want to see the west. One night stops is not a strong point of the hybrid, hence plans are for a travel trailer.

Looked over all the FG trailers for water resistance and maintenance reasons back in 09 on line, the 3 we liked were Oliver, Bigfoot, and Escape for quality of build. For space and floor plans we liked Bigfoot and Escape, require a real queen size bed. Visited an Escape 19 up in Vt, liked what we saw but DW said to was too narrow in the aisle so we did nothing at the time.

Fast forward to 2013. Early retirement sped things up. Saw the new Escape 21 on line and plans for the 5.0 TA as well as the 25' Bigfoot, all fit our requirements. Price difference between the Bigfoot and the Escape was the deciding factor between the 2 manufacturers. Went and looked at a 21 and a 5.0, prefer the floorplan of the 5.0. Ordered the Escape.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We have had a trailer on the bucket list for several years now and were to Rice, Texas a year ago to see the Casita Trailers. We were pretty sure this was going to be it until we started researching the Escape trailer line. At 6 ft. tall, the head room is a little tight in the Casita and my wife thought the bed was a little cramped in the rear of the trailer. You know, the honeymoon has been over for a number of years now. Anyway, after showing my wife the pictures and specs of the 19 foot Escape, she said that is the one. Plus what is said about the Escape, it looks like you could have no problem selling it if things didn't work out or plans change. Running the Alcan Highway is one main goal and I want a high quality trailer that will stand up to the miles. We purchased the tow vehicle last December and will be visiting Chilliwack this fall to probably finalize things for a 2015 delivery. The extra insulation available has been another deciding factor. Who said that quality is long remembered after price is forgotten?
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #44

Trailer: wannabe 19'
Yes...please convince me, lol. I am going over the build sheet wondering if the value is there (and the fact that the price of the 19' just jumped 1K). We are a young family hoping to get something that will last us all the way if it can. I am also looking at older used FG trailers as a starter option but it's such a big decision. I get the dirty looks from the wife when I show her another used trailer ad, but can't help wondering if the investment will pay off or we will end up selling down the road?
liveyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I can tell you our story. We started with a 1974 Boler 1300 which we have custom renovated, it is an awesome trailer that we use regularly for events and shorter trips. My wife enjoys the Boler but wanted the option of a bathroom just in case the facilities at the campground were ... yuck!! So last year we bought a 2008 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17', great trailer, the bath/shower is huge. In using the trailer we found the floorplan a bit congested in that the dinette and kitchen are side-by-side which requires a carefully choreographed dance when preparing food inside. I also felt the huge bathroom was a waste of valuable space (Joan & I are not big people).

After visiting the Escape Rally last summer and viewing a few other Escape trailers we have ordered a 19'. The deciding factors include: separate areas for the kitchen and dinette, more storage, larger fridge option, NO rivets through the shell to replace, tandem axle (the Casita is heavy for the original 14" tires, we upgraded to 15" but I still like the weight distribution of tandem axles).

Our Escape 19' will be our retirement cottage, the Casita is going to a good home with Joan's sister. I am sure we will still have the Escape 19 in 25 years when out Boler turns 65.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We enjoyed our 17' Casita for about three years. I was pretty happy with it, and enjoyed doing modifications.

We got the 19' Escape for the additional space. The front 4 person dinette and the full Queen bed, at opposite ends of the trailer really make the traveling more pleasant for two.

There are still a few things I liked better about the Casita, and some things I like better about the Escape.

But they are both very good trailers.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
We enjoyed our 17' Casita for about three years. I was pretty happy with it, and enjoyed doing modifications.

We got the 19' Escape for the additional space. The front 4 person dinette and the full Queen bed, at opposite ends of the trailer really make the traveling more pleasant for two.

There are still a few things I liked better about the Casita, and some things I like better about the Escape.

But they are both very good trailers.
Ditto!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
During our camping trip last week, we were approached by a gentleman who inquired about our Escape. He told us that he had owned a Casita for many years and LOVED it; however, times changed and he now owned a large stick 5th wheel. Well, he's a little older (and wiser), he has been thinking about that Casita again. We showed him our 19' and he was very impressed. He took our card and went off to check out the web site. When we saw him the next day, he couldn't stop talking about the Escape and how he longed to get back into a fiberglass trailer. I have a feeling that he will soon be traveling in an "egg" once again ....
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #50

Trailer: 2011
Actually Escape won't build the trailer I want !! I want a two berth unit similar to the Casita "Independence", but they say that would be too much work !!
Shame 'cos I would have liked an Escape.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Actually Escape won't build the trailer I want !! I want a two berth unit similar to the Casita "Independence", but they say that would be too much work !!
You can make a 19, 21 or 5th Wheel into a two berth rig by having one person sleep in the bed and the other on the dinette converted to a bed. That will still give you a lot more living space than an Indepence/Liberty. Just an idea.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We find our Casita quite adequate and more than suitable for it's intended purpose.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
You can make a 19, 21 or 5th Wheel into a two berth rig by having one person sleep in the bed and the other on the dinette converted to a bed. That will still give you a lot more living space than an Indepence/Liberty. Just an idea.
The twin beds in the Casita Independence are 30.5 inches in width. The queen bed in both the 19 and 5.0TA are 60 inches in width. If you're willing to give up a half-inch you could get two twin bed mattresses in the sleeping area of either the 19 or the 5.0TA.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #54

Trailer: 2011
Yes, I'm sure you are right, however I don't want to haul that size rig, even though our 2011 4Runner is capable. I am surprised that more makers don't offer a twin bed floor plan !!
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Twin beds are terrible for snuggling with your significant other.

All trailers, especially the size of moulded fibreglass ones, are a compromise in one way or the other. One just needs to find the right one that fits the most important needs. If twin beds are a deal breaker, then Escape is likely not the trailer to choose.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Oliver offers that type of berthing set up if you can tolerate the cost. Better quality than both Escape and Casita but I don't know if they are worth $60,000.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #57

We've had a Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe for about 10 years. We're now considering an Escape 21 due to needing just a "tad" larger trailer, and I don't want stick built. "Someone" has to get up in the middle of the night quite often, so having a semi-walk-around bed sounds great.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Here you go. Twin beds with nice mattress and 23.5'. Only $56,000 with basic options when we visited them.
Attached Thumbnails
20170726_115946.jpg   5-1.jpg  
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #59

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:

Bernie,

I agree that a twin berth configuration has some distinct advantages. I like not having any "crawl-over" and the ability to get up at night without disturbing my wife. Fortunately my wife has no trouble getting back to sleep.

Having said that, we also like that Escape's fifth wheel has a separation between the living area and the spacious sleeping loft. I wish the fiver didn't reduce the storage in my truck bed, but the enhanced hitching and towing makes up for that.

As Jim said, no trailer has it all and we have to find the one that meets the our most essential needs. I'm delighted that I won't feel like I'm "settling" on my new trailer.

I ordered my 5.0 TA on August 5, 2016 and I only have 37 days, 2 hours and 27 minutes to wait! Oh happy day!!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The problem with twins in small, narrow trailers.. as I see it, is it leaves very little other living space. The aisle between the two twins in the Casita Independence is 14" wide. Hardly any room for feet and a dining table, and zero counter space. Yes I realize a lot of people cook and basically live outside during daylight hours. But, I don't want to be a camping slave to the weather. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Independence.png  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote