Why Escape -- and not Casita, or Scamp, or something else? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In Vancouver I had to wait until spring for the rain to stop so I could open up the tent trailer and dry it out. Didn't have a furnace, so we opted to be miserable.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 PM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I usually took the inwards side as I am always the first up after this trip, going to bed it was just whoever went to bed first when to the outward side.
Lucky you Jim. I'd love to sleep just once by the window, but I'm relegated to the spot "closest to the door". Something my wife has in her mind about being her 'protector'. It's the same in any place we've ever slept.

It's not that I care, I'd just like to know what its like on the other side. [emoji1]
Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Lucky you Jim. I'd love to sleep just once by the window, but I'm relegated to the spot "closest to the door". Something my wife has in her mind about being her 'protector'. It's the same in any place we've ever slept.

It's not that I care, I'd just like to know what its like on the other side. [emoji1]
I always pegged you as the chivalrous type.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #84

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Routine

Hi Robert
The whole protector thing, crawl over, sleep by the window, awning down in the thunderstorm in underwear, failed outdoor shower enclosure, never put up an awning before, or a tent on an "easy" up, silhouettes in the tent, gasoline fire starter, there's got to be a standup campfire comedy routine there somewhere.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Robert
The whole protector thing, crawl over, sleep by the window, awning down in the thunderstorm in underwear, failed outdoor shower enclosure, never put up an awning before, or a tent on an "easy" up, silhouettes in the tent, gasoline fire starter, there's got to be a standup campfire comedy routine there somewhere.
There definitely is Dave, but I could only contribute the sleep by the window part - and maybe the starting a forest fire part.

I'm better at stories than comedy though. [emoji1]
Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #86

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thought process

Hi Robert
I am a stream of UNconciousness kind of guy. More like a river.
Dave
Old 08-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #87

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We find our Casita quite adequate and more than suitable for it's intended purpose.
Right on. Was out camping the other day and saw a newer Casita pulled by a Nissan Xterra with a kayak on top. He looked to be having a lot of fun on a beautiful day. It's easy for us to get wrapped up on build quality and features (and of course most of us here are biased towards Escape and impressed with their overall value), but I would argue that a trailer has to be built just well enough and be functional enough so that you can enjoy camping without always worrying about and working on the trailer. Everyone has different needs and budgets and it is nice that there are options. If Escape was the only manufacturer out there you would have a lot of people sitting at home instead of out exploring and creating memories with a travel trailer in tow.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #88

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Right on. Was out camping the other day and saw a newer Casita pulled by a Nissan Xterra with a kayak on top. He looked to be having a lot of fun on a beautiful day. It's easy for us to get wrapped up on build quality and features (and of course most of us here are biased towards Escape and impressed with their overall value), but I would argue that a trailer has to be built just well enough and be functional enough so that you can enjoy camping without always worrying about and working on the trailer. Everyone has different needs and budgets and it is nice that there are options. If Escape was the only manufacturer out there you would have a lot of people sitting at home instead of out exploring and creating memories with a travel trailer in tow.
very well said.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We considered buying an Escape in 2012 and decided to buy a new 2013 Casita . The difference in up front cost allowed us to make a trip to Niagara Falls , the West Coast , Banff Alberta Canada and 2 trips to the Southern US .
The Escape is a nice trailer but the value didn't match up with the price tag for us
The only repairs I've done to our Casita is replace a couple of rivets , paint the frame , wash & wax the trailer and a couple other minor repairs.
We do like the layout and the added space of the Escape 21 .
My wife and I are fast approaching 70 and have some health issues so buying a new trailer may not make economic sense for us at this time in our life.

We are not really enamored with any of the FG trailer .
To us a travel trailer is a luxury not a necessity and even if we sold our trailer , we would still do some traveling.
We hope others enjoy their Escape trailer as much as we have enjoyed our Casita.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #90

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
We considered buying an Escape in 2012 and decided to buy a new 2013 Casita . The difference in up front cost allowed us to make a trip to Niagara Falls , the West Coast , Banff Alberta Canada and 2 trips to the Southern US.

I can't think of s better reason to buy a Casita! A trailer that just sits isn't worth having.

If it meets your needs and your budget, why not consider a Casita or Scamp. I have plenty of friends who have these trailers and love them.

I'm going with Escape because I like their fifth wheel much better than Scamps. The Escape fiver is just a smidge bigger and that seems to translate into much more living area. I also like that the Escape has a fiberglass "bottom".

I'm lucky that my budget is big enough for the Escape and traveling in it. If I had to choose between an Escape and traveling, I'd choose traveling.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #91

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

I'm lucky that my budget is big enough for the Escape and traveling in it. If I had to choose between an Escape and traveling, I'd choose traveling.
Our financial resources / budget would allow us to purchase an Escape 21 with all the options we desire and still travel.
There are many factors that effect one's decision to purchase any goods or services , cost being only one of them.
Being frugal with one's money does not equate to being cheap in my book.
If one believes an Escape is a worthwhile purchase then by all means buy one but please respect other's decision to take a different road.
Those of us whose parents were a child of the depression often have different values when it comes to spending money on non necessities so spending $40 K on a travel trailer is hard for us to swallow.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
If one believes an Escape is a worthwhile purchase then by all means buy one but please respect other's decision to take a different road.
I totally get that and respect that Steve. But, this is the Escape forum after all.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Those of us whose parents were a child of the depression often have different values when it comes to spending money on non necessities so spending $40 K on a travel trailer is hard for us to swallow.
Generally respect is a two-way street. Not sure why, having made your decision to buy a Casita, you take such pleasure in making negative posts about Escape on this Escape Owners forum or why you would be surprised that members would defend their decision.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Robert and Glenn, very well said gentlemen!

Might I suggest: https://www.casitaforum.com/

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Agree with Robert and Glenn. It does get old when someone has no desire to own a Escape but has so much to say about them and the people that own them.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 19'
snoopy!
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #98

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Oh Jim, I just love you for who YOU are
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Oh Jim, I just love you for who YOU are

Me, too!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #100

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Having owned a Casita for 6 yr before getting an Escape, I can say that my experience has been that the Escape components are much better, the attention to detail is superior and the options greater. The customer service I got from Escape has been far, far better than what I got from Casita.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote