Why Escape -- and not Casita, or Scamp, or something else? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Today we sold our '02 16' Scamp - getting our new Escape 21' in September.

Everything said about Scamp's quality challenges is possibly true, but I really enjoyed telling the new owners about the great times we had in our Scamper and how we overcame its drawbacks.

My bride had tears in her eyes knowing that last weekend was our last trip in that marvelous little travel trailer and I was more than a little bit choked up.

Bye bye little Scamper.

Cheers all,
Charlie VZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Today we sold our '02 16' Scamp - getting our new Escape 21' in September.

Everything said about Scamp's quality challenges is possibly true, but I really enjoyed telling the new owners about the great times we had in our Scamper and how we overcame its drawbacks.
As Steven Still said in one of his songs "Love the One You're With". We too had a quality challenged 16' SD Scamp, but we had some wonderful trips with it. It took us on a trip to Yellowstone where we first saw an Escape from a distance, I started reading about them and the rest is history as they say.

You will love your new 21'

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I still have MY Scamp. I just can't give up that great little trailer. Yes, I know all the short comings of the brand, no one has to tell me... I've owned it for more than a dozen years. But, something I've come to realize over the years, it's NOT about the brand, it's about expectations and attitude. I've often said, I LOVE Ten Forward, it now the perfect layout for me... but I know, I absolutely know, I will NOT make BETTER memories because of the brand.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #104

Trailer: 2015 19'
We fell in love with camping after buying a used 2005 Scamp 13' for $4,000. Then bought a new 2010 Scamp 13' to get a bathroom. Total of 7 years of exploring the US and Canada, and loving every minute of it. Yes, there were quality issues. Almost had a water pump fall off going into Yellowstone. Did have hot water heater cover fall off somewhere on the way to Barstow, CA, and fortunately found a replacement at a used parts store. We've had our 2015 Escape 19' for two years and 13,000 miles, and only one minor problem readily fixed. As others have said, buy what you can afford and enjoy the experience.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 19'
around the campfire

some folks are sitting around the campfire ....

why do you like your Scamp? " I love my Scamp" why "it's a Scamp" uhh ha but what do you like "I can pull it with my brother's Geo Metro"

why do you like your Casita? "it's better then a Scamp" what's better then a Scamp "my Casita"

why do you like your Escape? "it's not an egg" what? "it's more like a loaf of bread" any thing else you like? "it has a Maple Leaf on it, like my tattoo!" that looks like a fake tattoo ... "well ya, I'm trying to act like I'm Canadian" how do you do that? "with a fake tattoo and the Poutine on my shirt"

who's motor home is that? why do you like it? no one speaks ... who's motor home is that? .... the Scamp, Casita, and Escape folks all look at each other and smile ... "we've never seen them, they never come out" ...........................................
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #106

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19' on order
Solar and Battery to support boondocking

I've never considered a Scamp and really don't know why.

For the longest of time I was certain I would purchase a Casita come retirement. My reason was based on following RVSue's blog for so many years. Her vagabond life just resonates with me and 'her' rig looked perfect.

Now that I'm a year away from retirement I'm looking past the romance of it all and researching specifics as they would apply 'to me'. I've come to the conclusion that I'll need solar power (360 watts) and battery capacity (2x6v) for boondocking. That will be easier to install on an Escape!
Onestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #107

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep View Post
I've never considered a Scamp and really don't know why.

For the longest of time I was certain I would purchase a Casita come retirement. My reason was based on following RVSue's blog for so many years. Her vagabond life just resonates with me and 'her' rig looked perfect.

Now that I'm a year away from retirement I'm looking past the romance of it all and researching specifics as they would apply 'to me'. I've come to the conclusion that I'll need solar power (360 watts) and battery capacity (2x6v) for boondocking. That will be easier to install on an Escape!
We have found the 160 w panels more than adequate to keep our two 6v charged using all the lights, water pump, heater, fridge, and charging various electronic devices, even in winter. If you get an inverter you might want more solar capacity.

BTW, born in Lewiston and lived in Auburn until my 20's!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #108

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Since we try to camp in somewhat shaded areas the single rooftop solar panel might not be able to keep up with demand.
Having Escape install a solar inlet so you could plug in a portable solar panel in these circumstances to augment the rooftop panel might be a good alternative to two roof top panels .
Our 100 watt portable solar panel coupled with the factory rooftop panel should be able to charge 2- 6 volt batteries according to our calculations. Just something to consider.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #109

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
I had my mind made up on a new 17' Escape when a 2001 Scamp came up for sale just a couple of hours from me. I have to say that we have had a blast this summer with it. It's not because it's great quality because we spend a lot of time fixing/maintaining stuff. It is because it's such a huge improvement in amenities over backpacking or car camping. Also, while I would have worried about poking holes in a new Escape for solar or other mods, I don't feel bad about doing it on a used trailer. I still don't get to use it much while my disabled son is living at home, but I often find myself heading to the Scamp for an hour of respite or so with a book and a bottle of beer. I like to think of it as a man cave on wheels.

I still want an Escape someday. In the meantime, I'm glad that I have the Scamp for now.
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #110

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I loved my little front bathroom Scamp 13. Lots of good memories. But reading stories, day after day, of people cutting out rot or replacing rotten OSB floors was a little disconcerting. OSB for a floor exposed to all sorts of moisture! And the claim that it was resin impregnated Really. None of the exposed edges on holes were coated or protected. So my view is that a trailer floor made with OSB floors is a ticking time bomb waiting to rot.

On the other hand, look at the bottom of an Escape. All f.g., it'll likely last a lifetime.

So folks can discuss relative merits of different brands till the cows come home. For me, the discussion begins and ends with the shell. And I didn't even mention the pop rivets, hated them also.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-01-2016 2-29-13 PM_0004_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #111

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
We got our intro to RV life in a rented 1979 Scamp 13. It was "restored" by a man who was not an RVer. When I went to pick it up I noticed that the cabinets didn't have any latches. I asked about that and he said, "these are spring hinges, don't worry about them coming open." Wrong!

When I got to the Matagorda Madness rally and tried to connect it to power, the plug didn't fit the pedestal. I called him and he told me the marine supply had assured him it was the correct plug. Yes, it was the right plug for a small boat!

My wife had planned to join me on Friday, but at the minute, she brought my two grandsons too. Four of us in a poorly restored 13" Scamp. But, it opened my eyes to RV life. Instead of thinking of it as a tiny trailer, I saw it as a hard sided tent with a heater, stove, and sink.

And toured other fiberglass trailers. In particular we saw a Scamp fifth wheel and liked it. Then we saw the first Escape 5.0 TA in Texas and we feel in love.

We couldn't justify spending a bunch money on a new Escape, but three weeks later I saw an ad for a '87 Bigfoot fiver. I bought it and then a used F150 and towed it almost 25,000 miles in the the 2.5 years I had it. We call it our "starter trailer".

But our real starter trailer was that '79 Scamp. Yes, it was poorly restored; everything fell out of the cabinets on the way to the rally, I couldn't connect to power... but it gave us the bug.

I'll never forget that Scamp!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #112

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
I have to say that we have had a blast this summer with it.
That's all that matters. I don't care what kind of trailer it is.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #113

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Hymer recently bought Roadtrek and are starting to build trailers in Canada. Their model Eriba Touring, specifically model 542 offers kind of a hybrid twin bed.

We have an RV dealer here in the Bay Area (Gilroy, CA) that has a weekly show, "RV With Me" (of course, promoting the Sea Grins showroom). They just featured the Touring Traveler by Hymer and said they would be ready for sale here in about six weeks. Will see about going over to see them and take some photos .... German design, made in Canada.
. One thing that was interesting was the salesperson said the mattress was lighter than any RV mattress on the market because it was built using (what I thought he said) 3D technology ... ??

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #114

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, under 2000 lbs and towable by a Jeep. No a/c though....
Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #115

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

I think you should buy one and weigh it.
Is that with or without propane?
Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #116

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Since the trailer does not have A/C and the windows appear to not have screens
how does one open the windows for ventilation without getting bugs in the trailer ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #117

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Good question Steve. Of course, my cousin's house in Germany has no screens on the windows because (as they tell me) there are no bugs. I would think that someone had best come up with some screens for this puppy.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #118

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
I do NOT believe the king size bed!!! In Europe no one has that a size of a bed. At least not in normal homes, as it simply doesn't fit. It would not surprise me that the person in the video doesn't even know the existence, nor size, of a king size bed. And that the real size is the biggest European size, which is the queen.
Also no awning on this trailer!
I keep my 19! And my jeep just pulls it fine!
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #119

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In the first seconds of the video, she expresses surprise that the trailer is made by Hymer. I'd be surprised if knows where Europe is ( or Canada ).
Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #120

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Since the trailer does not have A/C and the windows appear to not have screens
how does one open the windows for ventilation without getting bugs in the trailer ?
At 8:47 in the video they briefly make mention of an underfloor A/C system. He says it’s not real strong and then she tries to convince him with an “it’ll do”. Also when they show the windows at 6:13 I believe what you are seeing is a fully retractable screen.

What does concern me is there looks to be a tank (fresh?) hanging very low just ahead of the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
A4744DAD-A89A-4E90-A7CF-954327BD817F.jpg   9B211440-9B58-445A-B5FC-0F87BAA5D7C6.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote