wi-fi booster advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #1

Trailer: sold it
wi-fi booster advice

We often camp at commercial campgrounds that have wi-fi. We generally prefer a campsite as far away from the office and activity as we can get so the wi-fi isn't very strong. I'm looking for a wi-fi booster that just boosts whatever signal there is - not one that I have to sign onto the network with.

I used to have a D-Link WRT54g that I ran Sveasoft firmware on that'd let me do this but I don't have that old router any more, and the firmware doesn't run on newer models. It just boosted and retransmitted and wi-fi signal there was, and I'd still sign on to the campground's wi-fi as normal.

I tried a Hawkins HW2R1 Smart Repeater and found it totally unsatisfactory. I have to sign on to the repeater, then sign it on to the campground's wi-fi, then it works. This works here at the cottage but it gets all screwed up when I move from one campground to another and the IP address it got from the last campground isn't valid so I can't connect to it. I usually have to do a factory reset, hook up to the Hawkins by network cable, and start all over.

Does anybody know of a repeater that doesn't take any setup? Just sits there and boosts and retransmits whatever wi-fi it sees?

Thank you,
John
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Hey ,

Check this review out https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...w1U/edit?pli=1 I picked this up from RV Dreams website it is not geared toward any particular RV but more toward people who full time. This is the forum Technology On The Road - RV-Dreams Community Forum

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Trailer: sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Hey ,

Check this review out https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...w1U/edit?pli=1 I picked this up from RV Dreams website it is not geared toward any particular RV but more toward people who full time. This is the forum Technology On The Road - RV-Dreams Community Forum

Cypher
Looks great. I hadn't heard of any of those before but they're exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check them outand let you know how they work.
Thank you,
John
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I have been using a JefaTech repeater with an external antenna for this trip. Got a bit of boost from the antenna, but it has been really nice for the parks that give out only one-use passwords since Joanne and I like to check mail at the same time.
Dick